NGD (FJA 6505+, ISP, SKB, Xotic... content)

kazE

Reaction score
This is a slightly delayed new gear day that I've procrastinated about for a while now. But with my getting my 6505+ back from FJA this week I figured it was now or never.

After deciding on a 6505+ I purchased this 3-month old one off UG's classifieds section for $725 and shipped it directly to FJA.

I had the 60 watt metal head mod ($675) done which includes the following:

-Bias mod
-Lead/Rhythm mod (brings the lead channel back to the original specs, add my clarity mod to the lead channel, mod the rhythm channel for a warmer, thicker, more modded Marshall type crunch tone and an improved clean tone. A bigger, tighter bottom end and better low volume tones.)
-Clarity mod (gives you a more useable clean channel, get rid of some of the hiss on the lead channel and tighten the overall tone to give you more clarity with less saturation. You get a bigger, tighter bottom and better low volume tones.)
-Custom Output Transformer (gives the amp a tighter, more defined and articulate tone. It balances out the frequencies so the lows don't fall apart and get muddy and the highs aren't so harsh. It makes the amp more dynamic with a tighter feel. It improves the clarity and definition of what you're playing so everything isn't blurry.)
-Additional Custom Work ("extra mods for amazing punch and dynamics.")

Additionally I added these two:

-Custom Choke $40 (the Custom choke beefs up the power supply by improving the power supply filtering which help with noise levels, improves sustain, and helps the amp stay tight and punchy.)
-Sweep Mod on Lead Channel $100 (added pot that adjusts where the EQ circuit operates and allows you to dial in thicker low/mid tones or cutting high/mid tones. Can be installed on one or both channels.)

I also retubed it with TAD 6L6TGC-STR's, a JAN 5751 for V1, a Sovtek LP for PI and Penta 12AX7's for the rest of the gain stages.

Overall I've been absolutely blown away. It sounds worlds better than a stock 6505+ (or 6505/5150 for that matter).
Never in my life have I ever heard such a crystaline, defined, tight sound that I can only describe as liquid distortion. I can have the gain WAY down and it still sound incredible.

I've found that properly boosted, I can get two equally brutal distortions out of the Lead and Rhythm channels. In fact I almost prefer the Rhythm channel's smoother more open sound opposed to the Lead's more mid-focused/grittier tone.
And at 60 watts it sounds better at low volume but holy shit, it's still unimaginably loud.
The Sweep dial does exactly what it's supposed to and really gives a whole new layer to the EQ and the tones you can dial in (or out).

Cleans sound damn good for my Blackout-equipped Schecter Blackjack C1 ATX FR too.

The absolute best part about these mods is that it doesn't in any way change the core sound of my amp, they just improve and enhance the tonal characteristics I wanted.

The 60 watt mod is the highest value, it includes nearly all the best mods and a lower price than getting them separate. That said, even if you only get some of the cheaper mods I confident you'll still notice a sizable difference and be completely satisfied. He can do basically anything you want (not just with Peavey's) to your amp, just tell him what you're looking for. He's a freakin genius when it comes to amps.

FJA mods deserve the praise they get, definitely one of the best investments I've ever made.

img0091vq.jpg

img0090j.jpg

img0085m.jpg

img0089aa.jpg

Other gear I've purchased in the last couple months:

Xotic BB+ Overdrive

Simply the best overdrive/boost pedal I've ever used. It's 2 channels (plus gain stacking) give me a near endless amount of versatility. It perfectly compliments the 6505+ and I would never play the Peavey without it after A/B'ing it on and off. craigslist'd for $180 brand new.

img0073u.jpg

img0074oj.jpg

SKB PS-45 Pedalboard

Was looking for a powered pedalboard and found this. Tons of features, works flawlessly and it's built like a tank. I'm currently replacing the velcro on it so that's why it looks bare. craigslist'd for $200 in mint condition.

img0080zl.jpg

ISP Decimator Pro Rack G

It's hard to say anything new about these. You all know how amazing they are, completely stops unwanted noise and it's extremely easy to use. Nearly 100% transparent to my ears. Nabbed this for $270 brand new.

Furman M-8DX Power Conditioner

Found this for $70 brand new and it has great reviews. Filters the power, protects against surges and so far I haven't had any issues with it.
And yes, a rack case is my next purchase haha.

img0081vc.jpg

Digitech Jamman Looper

My old Boss RC20-XL just wasn't enough for me so I decided to go for one of these since I had heard great things. It's pretty much superior to the Boss in nearly every way. Easier to use, SD storage, PC-capable, sounds a little clearer. craigslist'd for $180 brand new.

img0075g.jpg

img0076v.jpg

Vader 2x12

Technically this isn't a new piece of gear since I made a NCB a while back about it but what the hell. Yeah it sounds amazing, goes perfectly with the 6505+. And god dang, these things are so tough.

img0084ar.jpg

I would post some clips but I don't have an interface for my mic yet so I'm SOL atm. My camera's mic is "ok" but it really doesn't do the amp justice.

I just ordered a GSP1101 and Control 2 that should be here soon so I'll be sure to post some pics, impressions and hopefully clips of that if possible.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Congrats dude, you got some awesome gear. :)
Is there any way you could record the 6505+, Id love to hear it.

Reaction score
Welcome to the FJA Mafia!:hbang:

Jerry is a beast with the mods. I'm getting a 6505+ and having him work on it. He's pretty much the only person I let tinker in the amp. I don't even let local techs deal with things.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Nice! Have fun breaking that Vader in. It's gonna take quite a few hours to break in the new transformer in your amp and the Vader speakers. You'll be really happy when everything starts to smooth out though.

kazE

Reaction score
Yeah I've had the Vader a while so hopefully it's broken in now but yeah I hear the transformers take a while.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Yeah I've had the Vader a while so hopefully it's broken in now but yeah I hear the transformers take a while.

Definitely. It's an awesome thing though. The sound just keeps getting better and better. I had a 6505+ modded by Voodoo Amps. I miss it.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats!
I've been debating on whether or not to mod my 5150 II:scratch:
I love the way it sounds already, maybe the bias mod.................

kazE

Reaction score
My next two purchases will be an interface for my mic and a rack case so I'm working on it. ;)

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Very nice rig man, I too would love to hear some clips of it as I had a VooDoo-modded 5150II and HATED whatever Trace did to it, but I've heard FJA does a great job with his mods so it would be cool to hear more clips of his work. :yesway: