NGD - Frebulence 2.0 is home! :D (GKG R729 prototype)

• Thread starter Fred the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sheboingo

Reaction score
...I meant side markers regarding the Turbulence, mind you -

I know, I was joking. this one actually has side markers. Well, some of 'em. Added at a later time. I think Leo said he did it by mistake.:scratch:

The original idea was to f@#$#k me up as much as humanly possible. Or merely to make me rely on my ear. Like I said, I never know what certain notes are called on different days of the week. What was Ab yesterday is D# tomorrow. Oh well.

Btw, you sure they didn't put the side markers (sigh) underneath the red binding? That can't happen with the production guitar. On a lighter note, it's fairly easy for any competent luthier to put side markers at any time. I remember Leo repairing one of Vai's axes which positively had a light show in the fretboard. Talk about over the top.

The Bastartele (Tele Bastardo) above was my main instrument for many years and the first time I got re-introduced to fret inlays I was like, what's this then? I really dig guitars with no fret inlays all over the place. It became a distraction for yours truly. And it takes away from beautiful woods.

Case in point:

P1020334.jpg

Can't even look at the fretboard while playing.

Much nicer IMO:

Logic9.jpg

Logic6.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
In all honesty, most people probably don't spend a whole lot of time beyond 12th fret (i.e. beyond third octave) let alone beyond 24th. So, 99% of time, it's pretty similar to whatever everyone else is doing.

Of course, can't speak for Fred, but I doubt he's stationed there himself. It's like that Jensen Interceptor that Mad Max is driving. It's got that turbo boost just in case, used sparringly. It's good to know it's there when you need it though.:shred:

i have watched vids of fred THE SHRED ;) he spends alot of time up there.

and, mad max drove a australian model 1973 ford falgon gt. they call it an interceptor in the movie because its a "police interceptor" vehicle, not the model ;) and what you call a turbo charger was a false supercharger/blower system.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I know, I was joking. this one actually has side markers. Well, some of 'em. Added at a later time. I think Leo said he did it by mistake.:scratch:

The original idea was to f@#$#k me up as much as humanly possible. Or merely to make me rely on my ear. Like I said, I never know what certain notes are called on different days of the week. What was Ab yesterday is D# tomorrow. Oh well.

Btw, you sure they didn't put the side markers (sigh) underneath the red binding? That can't happen with the production guitar. On a lighter note, it's fairly easy for any competent luthier to put side markers at any time. I remember Leo repairing one of Vai's axes which positively had a light show in the fretboard. Talk about over the top.

The Bastartele (Tele Bastardo) above was my main instrument for many years and the first time I got re-introduced to fret inlays I was like, what's this then? I really dig guitars with no fret inlays all over the place. It became a distraction for yours truly. And it takes away from beautiful woods.

Tele Bastardo? Hahaha! :lol:

As for the side dots, what I believe was that the production plant placed them too high on the binding, thus shaving them away when they did the scalloping on the guitar. Even though Leo also owns this axe's twin sister (the orange one he may have shown you), I made a point of telling him this so that he makes sure they know the whole point of those cute little white dots isn't to have them killed by an angry router! :lol:

No inlays on this guitar just gives it a subtly added.. sexyness. It wouldn't be the same with dots. Is it weird I have the OP tabbed so I can still see the pics but search the forums too? :lol:

Keep your sperm away from my guitar. That is all. :lol:

:wub:

sheboingo

Reaction score
and, mad max drove a australian model 1973 ford falgon gt. they call it an interceptor in the movie because its a "police interceptor" vehicle, not the model ;) and what you call a turbo charger was a false supercharger/blower system.

My bad. I read that somewhere long time ago, and as Internet would have it, they just propagated false info (good ole copy/paste). As for the 'interceptor' part, there really is (was) a car called Jensen Interceptor and it looks the part, pretty neat too. It's actually quite a collectible item I understand. As for the supercharger, I think we all figured it was phony. I used it as a sort of metaphore. Of course, if you ask me, I'd certainly put a turbo (super) charger instead.:flame:

sheboingo

Reaction score
As for the side dots, what I believe was that the production plant placed them too high on the binding, thus shaving them away when they did the scalloping on the guitar.

Understood, but not all frets were scalloped, which leads me to believe they stripped (if they ever put it there in the first place) while they were thinning the fretboard to create final radius. No use guessing, I'll ask the man later.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I always knew you could only be a man of fine taste.

Cam - the finish is quite perfect as is. I will pass on the extra glaze for now. :squint:

EliNoPants

Reaction score
hey Fred, why don't you go by Shrederick? i mean, at least for more formal settings i think it would sound pretty classy

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
hey Fred, why don't you go by Shrederick? i mean, at least for more formal settings i think it would sound pretty classy

:rofl:

Nickname was given to me by a friend of mine 15 years ago, hence still using it, as I found it hilarious. :)

Shrederick sounds cool. I'll incorporate this. ;)

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
Had I seen this thread I wouldn't have bumped the other one. Whoops.

But yeah, I'll echo the sentiments of I'm-tempted-to-find-my-way-to-Portugal-to-try-this-out. :lol:

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
Wow, that's a real awesome guitar you have there, the design is pretty "out there" which I like a lot, congrats!

Just wondering, do you have any videos of your guitars in action, cause' I'd love to see and hear it (I have never seen anyone playing a 29 fretted guitar).

I don't know about Mr. Shrederick (And if there's video of his playing, I gotta get on hunting that down), but there's plenty of video of me going up to fret 27 or so on my 36-fretter Turbulence. [It's kinda rare for me to drop below the 12th on leads, too, although I've been working on that lately. :lol:]

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I don't know about Mr. Shrederick (And if there's video of his playing, I gotta get on hunting that down), but there's plenty of video of me going up to fret 27 or so on my 36-fretter Turbulence. [It's kinda rare for me to drop below the 12th on leads, too, although I've been working on that lately. :lol:]

:lol:

I'm not a "thou shalt play lead above the 12th fret" fundamentalist type, yet it is worth mentioning that I play a lot up there, as previously mentioned, because of the stupid range available on a 7 string and due to that area facilitating playing quite a bit, considering my small hands and my slightly disfunctional pinky. :)

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
And here's Leo's update. As I suspected, all niggles will be gone from production models:
All there with you........on all the points.

I did not include the leg rest as that is what original prototype really looks like. I am also working on different Leg rest unit so we'll see how will that come along. For my taste, the scalloping section was done a bit too deep and by doing that we have lost the side dots 19-29. That feature will be corrected in 729-R's production run, and strap button was misplaced and positioned at the top of the horn.....as I have told our factory to move them to the original, rear position :) Some details will change but the main 729-R concept was done well.

I then proceeded to experiment with strap button locations, so you guys won't have to, and desecrated V2 for a good cause:
IMG_0031.JPG

And voilá! You can see a small hole where the V1's strap pin was positioned, but it didn't feel right with this guitar's body being slimmer and lighter, just like the original Turbulences, so I moved it to the position it is on now - it balances just right and it's very easy to move the guitar if you so desire to achieve the angle you prefer. :)

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
It's V2, as seen on the OP. :) I just fiddled with strap pin position to get the balance as close to the V1's as possible.

')