NGD : Fretless baritone content

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
So, I have saving/spending for this instrument for a long time, finally its here. The guitar is a bit dusty in the pics as I finished installing the wall hanger for it just before taking the pics.

Still shaking in excitement.

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Specifications :
Body : AX shaped, mahogany
Neck : Maple with wenge fingerboard with steel 2 mm thick on top of it
27 inch scale length with neck profile like a chapman stick

Pickups : Evo 2 bridge, Breed neck
Tone and volume for both with push pull
Two outputs, one for each pickup, no pickup selector

Tuned to E in 4ths tuning with 10-48 flatwounds,need to upgrade the string gauges to something heavier for more sustain on high strings.

The low strings sing beautifully though and the guitar has amazing harmonic content despite being fretless and using flatwounds. The low end is huge , the high end is a bit muffled which will be clearer once I put heavier strings. If it doesn't workout, ill just tune lower.

Any advice or recommendation is highly welcome.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Man Ive always wanted to try a fretless geetfiddle, looks nifty as .....

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Though I am taking this seriously, sold my fretted model.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
That's pretty cool; I wonder will fretless guitars ever catch on in a big way?
What are all the white lines along the side of the fretboard for? And are those white bits at the end of the fretboard scratches or is it the dust?

Hngd man :metal:

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Scratches

I wanted the neck buffed after being put on the fingerboard,
while I managed to get it done (resulting in a mirror like fingerboard) the scratches were the aftermath.

The other white lines are the fret markers.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Also, fretless guitars won't become popular anytime soon.

The amount of technique required to get a note to sound decent is too much for most people. Not keeping finger perpendicular properly results in note sounding not right. Off by 1 mm from correct position and the note sounds off.

The end result is worth to me, maybe not to someone playing to impress chicks or just wanting to rock out. Each to his own.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Lol

With the flatwounds no its not.

But with regular round wounds it can easily djent, there so much harmonic content even with flatwounds (which IMHO can be attributed to the brass bridge and nut) that with roundwounds this will sound amazing for grind and djent.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Yea it was a experimental built. It worked much better then I had hoped for. Enough to be my main for a long time, till it translates into a properly done guitar

Reaction score
Specifications :
Body : AX shaped, mahogany
Neck : Maple with wenge fingerboard with steel 2 mm thick on top of it
27 inch scale length with neck profile like a chapman stick

Pickups : Evo 2 bridge, Breed neck
Tone and volume for both with push pull
Two outputs, one for each pickup, no pickup selector

Tuned to E in 4ths tuning with 10-48 flatwounds,need to upgrade the string gauges to something heavier for more sustain on high strings.

The low strings sing beautifully though and the guitar has amazing harmonic content despite being fretless and using flatwounds. The low end is huge , the high end is a bit muffled which will be clearer once I put heavier strings. If it doesn't workout, ill just tune lower.

Any advice or recommendation is highly welcome.

2mm thick Steel over the fingerboard? How is the neck diving?

String wise, I am using regular tunning with flatwounds 0.13 to 0.64 (?) on a 7 string with rosewood fingerboard.

My next project on fretless will pass trough a metal fingerboard so I can use roundwounds also.

The fretless setup is quite different than the one needed for a regular guitar, nut slots must be almost touching the fingerboard, so a sheet of paper is the height from this to the lower "side" of the string. The action must be as low as possible, so when pressing the string, there will be a minimum angle between the string and the fingerboard. The bigger this angle may be, the less sustain one will get.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
2mm thick Steel over the fingerboard? How is the neck diving?

String wise, I am using regular tunning with flatwounds 0.13 to 0.64 (?) on a 7 string with rosewood fingerboard.

My next project on fretless will pass trough a metal fingerboard so I can use roundwounds also.

The fretless setup is quite different than the one needed for a regular guitar, nut slots must be almost touching the fingerboard, so a sheet of paper is the height from this to the lower "side" of the string. The action must be as low as possible, so when pressing the string, there will be a minimum angle between the string and the fingerboard. The bigger this angle may be, the less sustain one will get.

There is no neck dive till now, but then again I asked for a lighter piece of maple for the neck, so will the steel its balancing the weight with the body.
Where do you get 7 string flatwounds set ?

Based on what you said about the fretless setup, I think ill need a truss adjustment pretty soon, the nut is sliced low to give low action, but the neck is quiet a bit bent.

How are the high notes on your fretless ?
Im planning to 13-56 with C# and if the tension permits, then D#

Latest posts

')