NGD : Gibson Bill Kelliher Explorer

• Thread starter aneurysm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aneurysm

Type o´Negative
Reaction score
Congratulations ! Seems they didn't do the 400 in one run, still having to wait for mine as Gibson won't deliver Thomann before end of July. T_T But I'll have it !!!

You definately have to take some pics and tell me your impressions about it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
You´ll find them on the first Page!

weren't there for some reason - must have been something on my work computer. am home now and see it - awesome!

fabe_sd

Reaction score
Nice, I´m waiting in line for mine, too. Should take another couple of weeks my dealer said.
Any chance you could look under the pickguard? Is there a routed channel or not? I´d love to take that of. Or try a black one. Or leave it as beautyful as it is.

Have fun with it.

aneurysm

Type o´Negative
Reaction score
Nice, I´m waiting in line for mine, too. Should take another couple of weeks my dealer said.
Any chance you could look under the pickguard? Is there a routed channel or not? I´d love to take that of. Or try a black one. Or leave it as beautyful as it is.

Have fun with it.

thanks, where did you buy yours ( Thomann )? Well, maybe if i change strings i will take of the pickguard.
But honestly, i would leave it the way it is cause it matches so nice with the gold hardware.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
So true, if Gibson would only bring out a Flying v i like. They should ask Brent !

tumblr_m73f6aVG351r4600vo1_r1_500.jpg

PostApoc

Reaction score
Like everyone else have said. That's the sweetest Explorer i've seen! :bowdown:

HNGD! :hbang:

fabe_sd

Reaction score
Well after scanning the web daily I finally found a store that had one in stock, two actually. One weighing 3,5kg the other 4,0kg. So I drove over there asap and tested both of them. While both had decent (not awesome; one was missing a pickguard screw...Gibson, right? :wavey:) build quality they did sound quite different. I ended up with the lighter one (as I expected) which sounded more open, dynamic (better attack), percussive (a tad hollow) and resonated better. The other one was not bad, fatter with more bass. I guess you might seek that in a Explorer. But I took the one with all screws in it :lol:
Playabilty is very good thanks to the slim neck and good setup. Hardware is adequate. Don´t know much about the Pups yet. Have to compare it to my Eclipse at the next rehearsal.
To the pictures i guess:
IMGP1202.JPGIMGP1211.JPGIMGP1212.JPG
And here is what it could have looked like (yes i´ve shopped the screw holes)
IMGP1215.JPG

I am thinking of this as a project guitar. I might try a black or homemade wooden pickguard or fill the screw holes and maybe I´ll remove the paint from the back of the neck.

Please enjoy the pics as much as I will enjoy the guitar.

aneurysm

Type o´Negative
Reaction score
Well after scanning the web daily I finally found a store that had one in stock, two actually. One weighing 3,5kg the other 4,0kg. So I drove over there asap and tested both of them. While both had decent (not awesome; one was missing a pickguard screw...Gibson, right? :wavey:) build quality they did sound quite different. I ended up with the lighter one (as I expected) which sounded more open, dynamic (better attack), percussive (a tad hollow) and resonated better. The other one was not bad, fatter with more bass. I guess you might seek that in a Explorer. But I took the one with all screws in it :lol:
Playabilty is very good thanks to the slim neck and good setup. Hardware is adequate. Don´t know much about the Pups yet. Have to compare it to my Eclipse at the next rehearsal.
To the pictures i guess:
View attachment 33444View attachment 33445View attachment 33446
And here is what it could have looked like (yes i´ve shopped the screw holes)
View attachment 33447

I am thinking of this as a project guitar. I might try a black or homemade wooden pickguard or fill the screw holes and maybe I´ll remove the paint from the back of the neck.

Please enjoy the pics as much as I will enjoy the guitar.

Congratulations Fab,

damn it, it looks good to without the pickguard. Very interesting you mentioned the weight factor cause i think mine´s also on the lighter side.
I didn´t weight it but it´s like you mentioned very resonant ! I once had an Explorer ( some 90´s model ) which was a boat ancor but it really had some serioes Punch.
Where did you get yours ? Again HNGD dude.:hbang:

fabe_sd

Reaction score
The weight was specified on the dealers website. I got it from Station Music near Augsburg. Never been there before but they do have a very nice collection of Gibson/Fender Customs, PRS and even Carvin. Could have played 50 other guitars there and I think they would have actually let me :D But I tamed myself...

Koeur

Reaction score
Hi,

Great photos!

I have some questions on this model, for those who possess it:

- Can you weigh? For we know the truth, and that we know if the difference is so huge.

- Details of neck "Mahogany neck with Bill Kelliher's slim, fast profile" like a "Slim taper '60s" or finer?

[excuse my poor English :ugh:]

Latest posts

')