NGD: Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s in Iced Tea Burs! (the pickups though...)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I've been bitten by the Gibson bug lately. Got my Gibson Les Paul Custom recently, more info on that guitar here: https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/ngd-gibson-les-paul-custom-2021-black-beauty.350679/ That guitar was one of my dream guitars! However, it's a very different experience than a Les Paul Standard or something like a classic, and my Classic from 2015, although it was a great guitar in itself, didn't do it for me. So I wanted to get a Les Paul Standard 60s as I really liked what Gibson was doing these days with those models.

So I purchased the guitar a week or two ago. I was able to pick it up over at the local Gibson HQ, so in the showroom. Nice folks over there! I had the choise between 2 of the same model but unfortunately the other one had a cracked neck/headstock o_O. That was a little shocking tbh. Someone must have dropped it without them being aware of it... Anyway, the one I got seemed to come from 2021 since the serial starts with 10. It's a beautiful guitar with a great top. The finish looks and feels great, very vintage-y in fact. The neck profile is nice and fast, very comfortable. The fret edges are rolled of very nicely too. The body wood they used is also great! Not too heavy (not that I mindheavy) but very resonant and open sounding, great sound acoustically! The frets seem to have been leveled very well also, so that's great because I like my action low-ish.

I was not a fan of the pickups though, I wasn't expecting that because usually I'm not picky about pickups at all. But I'm a rocker at heart and the Burstbucker 61s just were too bright and also too flubby and weak in the low end for high-gain rock and metal. So I swapped them out for a Duncan JB and 59. The result is much much better tbh. It still sounds like a Les Paul, just more versatile for me. Not saying the pickups are bad, it's all about personal preference.

The guitar did have a couple of tool marks and finish flaws but nothing major. Unfortunately the screw underneath the pickguard did leave a ding but since I'm a 'pick-guard' on type of guy I guess I'll just live with that. Overall I'm very happy with the guitar. It looks great, feels great and sounds great (with the SD pickups). So I'm a happy customer!!

Here's my review/demo video with some sound demos and talks about the details:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
HNGD!

It'd be great to see a comparison with JB equipped Gibson v full thickness ESP. Very interesting to hear what the difference in sound is.

I bought a LP back in 2012 - was not flawless but I sucked it up and sold it a few years later. A couple of years ago I bought an eclipse but it's not full thickness so has its own sound.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, did you play Joe Duplantier's signature Dimarzio Fortitude pickups? I'm mostly wondering how would you like vintage-output pickups that are still for Metal. I know it's not only output you didn't like about the stock ones, but it got me thinking if you'd enjoy that.

One way or another, enjoy it overall and the JB is a Hard Rock/Metal classic for a reason and still fitting as something you'd might see retrofitted into an older Gibson back in the day.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, did you play Joe Duplantier's signature Dimarzio Fortitude pickups? I'm mostly wondering how would you like vintage-output pickups that are still for Metal. I know it's not only output you didn't like about the stock ones, but it got me thinking if you'd enjoy that.

One way or another, enjoy it overall and the JB is a Hard Rock/Metal classic for a reason and still fitting as something you'd might see retrofitted into an older Gibson back in the day.

I haven't tried those but if they have a good frequency response and dynamics I'm sure they sound fine. Believe me, I'm far from picky when it comes to pickups. I usually find a way to make them work but in this case it was just impossible, for me...

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
nice dude! I too have an ice-tea one, but mine is from 2005. (it's super heavy). It was my first ever "nice" guitar back in the day.

I must say mine survived a hard drop. Knocked off a tuning peg which I ended up replacing them all, but no headstock breaking! lol

Latest posts

')