NGD: Gibson Lzzy Hale Explorer

• Thread starter novocaine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

novocaine

Reaction score
thanks all for your kind words. Ever since i saw Hetfield holding the ol' wolf and man explorer back in the day, it's been one of my 2 favourite shapes.

Couldn't pass up on the Gothic and Voodoo when it was available back then. The regret was not picking up a New Century, that was also only available for the shortest of times.

@aneurysm - nice one! we really have the same taste. However, the original pups on the Kelliher were a little to middy for me. I changed them to his signature Dissonant Aggressors. It made a world of difference.

To answer how the Lzzy plays, the radius is definitely slimmer as compared to the gothic but feels the same as the kelliher, i'm not particular about specs and numbers, i'm sure there're differences but minute at best (feel-wise). I adapt pretty ok so it's not a concern, i'm drawn more to the aesthetics. It's chunky for rhythm but not shabby for solo work especially bends. The pups on the Lzzy are hot as is. Never heard nor played them previously '57 Classic and '57 Classic plus but they're hotter than the 496R/500T on the Voodoo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aneurysm

Type o´Negative
Reaction score
@Novocaine : well, that really surprieses me when you say the 57 Classics are hotter then the 496R/500T .
Also own a Flying V but to me the 496/500 have more Output and a completely different Voicing.
On my Lzzy the palm mutes on the A String are pretty chunky but on the low E it kinda sounds pretty thin .
Dunno why,so how is it on yours ?
Oh, and is there reallly that much Difference regarding the Dissonant Aggresors in the Kelliher ?
To be honest i never thought about changing the PU´s , but i noticed the lack something at High Gain !

Latest posts

')