NGD: Halo Custom Guitars Salvus (Tele)

• Thread starter Blood Tempest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
My custom built Halo Guitars Salvus (Tele) arrived late last week. I ordered this guitar back in September of 2013. Due to some set backs, the delivery time ended up repeatedly pushed back, however, the folks over at Halo (primarily Jeff) always kept me up to date via email. Often, progress pics were sent. At any rate, I ordered this guitar when they were having a $500 off promotion and I feel like I've received one hell of a deal here. I know people have had some horror stories in the past, but recent customers seem to be more satisfied. This is the first Halo I've ever ordered. Hell, before this guitar arrived at my door, I never touched one of their instruments before. Their customer service and "we'll build anything" attitude matched with the price drew me in.

After getting some quality playing time in with her this weekend, I can honestly say this was worth the long wait and every dollar. The construction is solid, yet the guitar doesn't weigh a ton. The neck joint is comfortable when playing higher frets and the belly cut is perfect. The gloss black finish is absolutely mirror-like and the pearl binding looks fantastic. I spec'd this guitar to be simple, yet still a classy looker. Here's a quick overview of some specs:

-Neck thru construction
-Alder body
-Mahogany neck
-Ebony fretboard
-Straight, Reverse headstock (w/ string trees)
-Gibson scale length
-22 frets
-Hipshot bridge
-Gloss black
-Pearl binding all over
-Pearl pickguard
-Black hardware
-One volume knob
-One custom Seymour Duncan 7 string Black Winter bridge pickup. (I ordered this before they were available as a production 7 string pickup)
-GraphTech White TUSQ XL nut
-Tummy cut

Enough talk, on with the meh quality cell phone pics!

IMG_20141018_154844732.jpg

IMG_20141018_154856850_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141018_154902118_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141018_155021244_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141018_154954150_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141018_155051598.jpg

IMG_20141018_155119536.jpg

IMG_20141018_155133660.jpg

IMG_20141018_155143099.jpg

IMG_20141018_155225744.jpg

IMG_20141018_154809017_HDR.jpg

TL;DR I'm ecstatic with how this guitar turned out. I feel I got my money's worth and the folks at Halo (specifically Jeff) were an absolute pleasure to work with. They readily answered any questions I had and let me customize anything. I even opted for the logo to look how it does down to the positioning on the headstock. It's a solid instrument, sounds mean and articulate, and I look forward to playing it for years to come. :agreed:

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
That's a damn fine looking instrument. I might have to purchase one of those in the future. :yum:

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
Single-humbucker Tele-shaped 7 with a reverse headstock and a white pearloid pickguard? Me likey! :wag: Happy NGD man, from the look of those pictures, it is quite a happy one indeed! :metal:

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Single-humbucker Tele-shaped 7 with a reverse headstock and a white pearloid pickguard? Me likey! :wag: Happy NGD man, from the look of those pictures, it is quite a happy one indeed! :metal:

Classy man....Classy!

this definitely looks like it was worth the wait. nicest halo ive seen :metal:

Thanks, guys! It's been a happy weekend of playing her. Sounds great playing distorted and clean tones. Black Winters really have become my favorite pickups ever. This thing is just all around comfortable. Nearly effortless to play.

lelandbowman3

Reaction score
Glad to see you're happy with it BT. I followed this for a while. Good to see it being completed. You've got a sharp instrument!

downburst82

Reaction score
I see they did have to go with the shorter hipshot saddle to get the intonation correct on the low B but thats not to big a deal I guess. Overall looks pretty nice :yesway:

slapnutz

Reaction score
Man that looks sweet! I was thinking about a custom "metal tele".
Do they do tilted back headstocks?

Aris_T

Reaction score
I've got a really sweet spot for 7string teles. Really classy instrument, with a metal twist (reversed headstock)! Also, glad to hear that there are no quality issues.

Enjoy man! HNGD!

Skullet

Reaction score
Glad she meets your expectations ( and exceeds them by the sounds of it) .

Looks flawless genuinely cannot wait for mine to be finished :)

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Are those side-dots off of the edge of the binding and into the paint/wood underneath?
IMG_20141018_155225744.jpg

I took a look last night while playing. The angle of this pic definitely doesn't do them justice, but they appear slightly off center. Honestly, it doesn't bug me. It's a solid instrument and sounds great. :yesway:

Glad to see you're happy with it BT. I followed this for a while. Good to see it being completed. You've got a sharp instrument!

Thank you! I am definitely enamored.

I see they did have to go with the shorter hipshot saddle to get the intonation correct on the low B but thats not to big a deal I guess. Overall looks pretty nice :yesway:

It hasn't caused anything to sound muddy or floppy. It's tight and responsive on the low notes. I may increase the string gauge slightly when its time for a restring, but it's good with me as is.

Man that looks sweet! I was thinking about a custom "metal tele".
Do they do tilted back headstocks?

Thanks! They most definitely will do angled headstocks. I specifically opted for a straight headstock. Because I'm weird. :nuts:

I've got a really sweet spot for 7string teles. Really classy instrument, with a metal twist (reversed headstock)! Also, glad to hear that there are no quality issues.

Enjoy man! HNGD!

:hbang: Thank you. I am a satisfied customer.

Glad she meets your expectations ( and exceeds them by the sounds of it) .

Looks flawless genuinely cannot wait for mine to be finished :)

Thanks, mate! It definitely lived up to what I envisioned! I am very happy and can't wait to see your custom when it's finished! :shred:

BigBadAl

Too old to Mosh
Reaction score
Looks great , I'm a fan of the less is more when it comes to customs
Beauty in simplicity , looks like a workhorse sounds like a warhorse.

Damn I wish I had seen that pearl binding before , think it would've looked great on my flat black V .
ah well it's almost finished which reminds me time to ask Jeff@Halo for an update HNG

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you! I am the same for the most part when it comes to aesthetics. I love my "boring" black guitars. Keep them clean, and they'll always look nice, yet simple. And it allows you to add different things for deeper contrast, such as the pearl binding, pickguard, etc. :yesway:

I'm very interested to see your V. Did you go with a traditional Gibson shape or something more extreme like a Jackson?

BigBadAl

Too old to Mosh
Reaction score
Rhoads style ,always wanted a classic V , I'm thinking a Schenker custom eventually.
I just think the carved top with flat black/white binding is just...sexy
1403215410036.jpg

The Alder body and Mahogany neck is an interesting combo.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
That thing is gonna look great! Sounds like a nice and unique build. Can't wait to see the NGD post.

Yeah, I wanted something a little different with the woods chosen. I like the sound of alder bodies, as well as mahogany, so I kinda split the difference there :lol:

rjg3000

Reaction score
Sharp looking super tele! Looks like Halo is really turning themselves around lately. Great to hear! HNGD!

')