NGD: Halo Octavia 7FF

• Thread starter gavinasaurus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I hadn't played much guitar until recently because of school and what not. I've recently started playing again and decided i was tired of 6 string guitars and decided to sell all my 6 strings and replace them with extended range guitars. My first was an agile 8 string with a 27 inch scale and it is what it is nothing amazing but not a bad guitar. i played a fanned fret agile a while back and fell in love so i started looking for a fanned fret 7 or 8 string. i ended up selling my jackson sl1 and my ibanez s series prestige and bought 2 new 7 strings a Halo Octavia 7 and a skervesen shoggie. The Halo arrived today so i thought id let people know what i think. ill do the same for the skervesen when it arrives.

Clearly when looking for a fanned fret your choices are a bit thin unless you order something custom which takes a while. I purchased the skervesen which is an obvious choice, but its also headless and i wanted something a little less expensive that i could also down tune anytime i wanted without much effort. I was planning to go with the ibanez rgif 7 or 8 but played one before hand and could not stand the parallel fret being at the 12th fret. Maybe being at the 12th fret is alright for some people it just wasn't for me. i really didn't want to purchase another agile since i had one already so i kept looking. i stumbled on to this guitar which i must say i was extremely cautious with because i had read about Halo multiple times in the past and saw some horror stories. I looked around and saw that recently people haven't had any problems so i decided to purchase this. I'm going to go into detail on a few areas giving them a rating out of 10.

customer service and quality control: 10
I have to say these guys have some insanely good customer service. They emailed me almost immediately giving me an estimated ship date and updates on the guitar. I got an email saying they found a cosmetic blemish in the paint and they couldn't sell it to me like that without a discount or throwing in a free case. i agreed because it was only cosmetic and hell i love discounts. I actually found this really surprising because after receiving the guitar it's nearly impossible to see without looking for it. I've bought a jackson sl1 brand new that came with a blemish and that's a near 4k guitar. so i have to give it to these guys i sincerely believe they have turned things around and aim to please all of their customers.

build quality: 7.5
This is actually a hard one to put a number on for me. Before my agile my 3 guitars were an esp horizon fr II(which i'm selling), a Jackson sl1, and an ibanez s series prestige(i don't remember the exact model but i believe it was a s1520. somewhat older). so my point is the 3 guitars i had before my agile were all pretty expensive and supposed to be the highest of quality. if we were going strictly by price to quality ratio i'd give this guitar a 10, but i'm going by overall quality and considering some extremely high end guitars here. ill say quality wise this guitar is up there with my esp which id say was the best quality I've owned. so that should say a lot considering i would rate it higher than a jackson cost close to 4k while this guitar was only 1200. i believe this is a guitar that will really last and could probably handle pretty good touring. The materials they used are pretty high quality especially the fretboard. The ebony frets on this guitar are far nicer than any other guitar I've owned. the hardware seems to be really nice. The single saddle bridge system is really nice so far so future will tell.

sound and playability: 7 and 8
This guitar plays really well. Its got a pretty nice neck. Not really thing but by no means thick. The action is low and the fretboard radius is pretty comfortable. not to flat but not to round. The scale lengh is 27' to 25.5' with the parallel fret being at the 9th. i think the inch and a half fan is perfect and feels really natural while keeping the tension of the strings perfect for each string. i would have gave sound an 8 also except the pickups. They used seymour duncans in this model i cant remember exactly which ones. I've never been a big fan of duncans. I had them in my jackson and also in my agile. I plan to replace them with bare knuckles which at that point i really feel l like the sound would be much better.

I have to say i was terrified when i first ordered this guitar but i believe it was a good choice now. These guys seem to have really turned things around. Hopefully the skervesen will be here next week and i can give a little rundown on it.

Attachments

• 20160129_215154.jpg
    20160129_215154.jpg
    966.3 KB · Views: 359
  • 20160129_215233.jpg
    20160129_215233.jpg
    944 KB · Views: 359
  • 20160129_215248.jpg
    20160129_215248.jpg
    946.8 KB · Views: 241
  • 20160129_215300.jpg
    20160129_215300.jpg
    944.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 20160129_215356.jpg
    20160129_215356.jpg
    957.3 KB · Views: 163

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VVolverin3

Cool beans
Reaction score
Nice rundown mate, and congrats on the new guitar. Look forward to seeing/reading about your Skervy too.

Shame you don't like the pickups, are they actives? Look like they'd be Blackouts, although I think you can get some of their fancy 7/8 string pickups in those "soapbar" covers as well; sentient, pegasus, etc

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice snag! It looks like that guitar will treat you well and glad to hear the transaction went smoothly.

The octavia is one of my favorite body shapes. Something about it just looks smooth and sleek with bit of ergonomics but not too pointy. Can't wait to save up for one myself.

Happy NGD!

Reaction score
Nice rundown mate, and congrats on the new guitar. Look forward to seeing/reading about your Skervy too.

Shame you don't like the pickups, are they actives? Look like they'd be Blackouts, although I think you can get some of their fancy 7/8 string pickups in those "soapbar" covers as well; sentient, pegasus, etc

I believe the bridge is a nazgul and the neck is a pegasus. I have blackouts in my agile. i do like this set up a bit better than those though.

Reaction score
Nice snag! It looks like that guitar will treat you well and glad to hear the transaction went smoothly.

The octavia is one of my favorite body shapes. Something about it just looks smooth and sleek with bit of ergonomics but not too pointy. Can't wait to save up for one myself.

Happy NGD!

thank you. The octavia is my favorite body style also. It's a bit out of the ordinary but still carries that classic look. Hard to explain.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
You live in Beaumont? Me too! Lets jam!

Looks good, they seem to be stepping up their quality.

Pat_tct

Reaction score
quick question: you said the price was around 1.2 k. lets round that up to 1.5k. how do you get a halo for that price? if i hammer in a just a cheap 6-string with fanned frets and a neck-through they start at 2k or something.

The Munk

Reaction score
quick question: you said the price was around 1.2 k. lets round that up to 1.5k. how do you get a halo for that price? if i hammer in a just a cheap 6-string with fanned frets and a neck-through they start at 2k or something.

The OP bought an in stock production guitar that had been discounted due to a cosmetic flaw.

Reaction score

If you go to their site they have some guitars that are mostly pre built. they arent 100% finished they still have to wire pickups and put on hardware but its a lot less than ordering a custom and only takes about 3 weeks to get. also in this case there was a cosmetic flaw in the paint which got me a bit of a discount.

Slaeyer

Reaction score
Nice guitar. Got a Merus 7 myself and am quite happy with it. :hbang:

Did you finally get your Skerv?

Reaction score
Nice guitar. Got a Merus 7 myself and am quite happy with it. :hbang:

Did you finally get your Skerv?

the skerv should be here hopefully in the next couple days. just got a messages saying it was released from US customs this morning. pretty excited.

morbidus

Reaction score
That looks like an interesting design that would be comfortable to play. I like the lower horn being a different shape than the upper horn since it adds a bit of uniqueness.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up....was actually looking at the one you bought lol. Good info to know!!

')