Neck Wood: Maple (Stained Black)
Fretboard Wood: Richlite (Black)
Number of Frets: 24
Scale Length: 28"
Inlays: None
Hardware Type: Gold/Black Mix
Bridge Pickup: Læviathan (Golden Poles)
Controls: 1x Volume

I've been playing & experimenting with extended range for well over a decade now, but for some reason the idea of a 6-string baritone never really clicked with me until about 2 years ago when I tried a friend's Ibanez RGIB6. Whilst it was fun to play on, I still stuck to me 7s & 8s for all ER stuff. But once Loathe released "I Let It In and It Took Everything", everything in my perception changed as well as I found their tunings & resulting compositions very interesting.

full

Not much later I bought a SubZero Rogue VI, and while it did service me well for a short time, the "budget cuts" in the fit & finish started to show pretty soon and I wanted to upgrade. I got in touch with Hapas as I loved the work they did for/with Buster (Humanity's Last Breath). Passed my order on the 19th of Feb (2021), and a few days ago I got word back on the axe being finished so the waiting time is more than acceptable for the quality delivered.

Enough talking though, enjoy the pics:

full

full

full

full

full

full

Conclusion
All in all super happy about the result. As with most "stock" winded pups, I was concerned in the beginning but the Læviathan has really won me over completely. Super clear yet warm sounding on cleans, and the response on the lower registry (guitar tuned to Drop E) is amazing when dialling in the right amount of gain. If there was anything which I could potentially complain about, than it would probably be that the case it came in doesn't reflect the "Premium" quality of the guitar (Gator foam case), but this can probably be discussed in your order to change.

And while the guys are super friendly & responsive in the discussion phase of the guitars, they don't really (pragmatically) keep you up-to-date in the building phase as some builders do so if you want info during the builds you'll really have to chase them yourself. Aside from that can't recommend these guys & the guitars enough!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wildebeest

Reaction score
This is sooooo sick. Big fan of Hapas, I hope they play as nice as they look.

Dayn

Reaction score
I didn't think NSFW content was allowed to be posted. The colouring and style is out of this world.

Protestheriphery

Reaction score
I dig it. I'm all about: Tele shapes w ergonomic contours and hums, simple basic colors, reverse headstocks, and low tunings. This encompasses all the above. Love the hardware, too. HNGD.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Recessed Pickguard is really cool!
Seeing more builders doing this atm (Vandermeij is building something similar) and I dig
Agreed, absolutely blew my mind when I saw the first one (I think?) they did for Simon Sludge (hence the name I suppose?) from WFAHM a few years back. Funny enough, a Vandermeij was the very first custom I ever had built and I really regret ever letting it go. Should you ever find it in the field though, feel free to give me a heads up:

Vandermeij1.jpg

I didn't think NSFW content was allowed to be posted. The colouring and style is out of this world.
Hah, thanks! The original plan was to have the flamed maple pickguard be whitewashed (example below) to get get that classic black-white telecaster look, but whitewashing isn't something their shop does so I stuck to the natural look. Very happy with the latter though as I feel the natural pickguard suits the gold accents in the hardware really well.

full

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
Agreed, absolutely blew my mind when I saw the first one (I think?) they did for Simon Sludge (hence the name I suppose?) from WFAHM a few years back. Funny enough, a Vandermeij was the very first custom I ever had built and I really regret ever letting it go. Should you ever find it in the field though, feel free to give me a heads up:

Vandermeij1.jpg

No way it was you who got the headless magistra? Seen that pic a few times when I was researching my Vandermeij build and always thought it looked super cool. Any reason why he hasn't done any more headless builds do you know?

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
No way it was you who got the headless magistra? Seen that pic a few times when I was researching my Vandermeij build and always thought it looked super cool. Any reason why he hasn't done any more headless builds do you know?
Back in the days when I got in touch with him, he was still very early in his development and I believe he wasn't even building full-time yet. Of course I can't know 100% for sure, but I assume that I managed to get in touch with him in a time where he still didn't have a signature style & workflow defined (there were no "standard models" like the Magistra available yet aside from a few prototypes) and he was pretty much open to any kind of request in terms of shape/hardware/etc...

I remember going through several prototypes with him as I wasn't even completely sure what I wanted myself. The first prototype was actually an 8-string with headstock (and as you might've guessed, shapewise I really love the Vik Duality):

full

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
^ thats super cool getting involved with him at ground up level!
I had been following his work for a while before I ordered mine and in that time his operations had grown massively. Really happy for him as he seems like a great guy, and his work is very very good.
Would like to see a couple of other shapes from him as standard, but guess that'll come in time!

')