First, Le Git:

Not a Prestige case :(
DSCI0072.JPG

DSCI0073.JPG

DSCI0074.JPG

DSCI0078.JPG

It came with sperzels on it!
DSCI0079.JPG

Now, some talk. As you probably know by now, it's an Ibanez RGA 121. I first fell in love with this guitar when it was in a Musician's Friend catalog sent to me about 5 years ago, and ever since then I've spent a crapton of time looking for it at an affordable price.

So about a week before my birthday I found it at a GC in California for about $500. I was kind of worried that at that price it'd be in pretty lousy shape, but to my surprise this thing was in incredible shape and even fitted with a set of matching sperzels (never owned locking tuners before, so I'm still getting accustomed to them).

I've been playing it nonstop for over a week and I love almost everything about it. My only qualms are that it didn't come with the original case, and that (of course) I'd like to change out the pickups.

As for the case, I know that any dealer of Ibanez's can order a prestige case for you, but does anyone know if GC will do a trade of sorts? I'd like to trade in the case they sent me and get it swapped out for the prestige and just pay the difference between the two. :scratch:

And as for the pickups, I'm torn between either a crunchlab at the bridge + an aftermath neck. An aftermath at the bridge + a liquifier at the neck. Or just a set of calibrated aftermaths. I also can't find the original wiring diagram for this guitar anymore. :(

Anyways, thanks for stopping by folks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As for the case, I know that any dealer of Ibanez's can order a prestige case for you, but does anyone know if GC will do a trade of sorts? I'd like to trade in the case they sent me and get it swapped out for the prestige and just pay the difference between the two. :scratch:

If that's the case GC recived when it was traded in for used, which I'm assuming it's used based on the pricing, case, and suspicion of damage, then no. Though, if you purchased the case through them to ship the guitar, then you might be able to if you have the original invoice for the case, and it's in new condition.

Looking at the foam on the case, it seems that that's the case the guitar came in when GC received it from it's original owner.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Gorgeous! I have the VLF model, always wanted one of these too. :lol: It's an insanely great guitar. Congrats :yesway:

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
If that's the case GC recived when it was traded in for used, which I'm assuming it's used based on the pricing, case, and suspicion of damage, then no. Though, if you purchased the case through them to ship the guitar, then you might be able to if you have the original invoice for the case, and it's in new condition.

Looking at the foam on the case, it seems that that's the case the guitar came in when GC received it from it's original owner.

Indeed, the guitar was used, but from my understanding the case was new. I requested the case cause I didn't want it shipped across the US without one. As far as an invoice goes, I'm afraid the only thing I have is the statement in my bank account for the total that I paid to GC.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Indeed, the guitar was used, but from my understanding the case was new. I requested the case cause I didn't want it shipped across the US without one. As far as an invoice goes, I'm afraid the only thing I have is the statement in my bank account for the total that I paid to GC.

Take it to your local GC, the worst they can say is no. Just don't be surprised if they tell you they can't do anything. Cases aren't exactly a hot commodity, so I don't see them buying it back, at reduced rate, and then putting that towards a new TJC.

If I was you, I'd just keep the case. If you're dying for a TJC, just pick up a cheaper used one on Jemsite of something. They're not overly rare, and honestly, just a TKL case with a slightly modified mold.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I'll own both this and the VLF model at some point in my life. HNGD! And birthday!

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
Take it to your local GC, the worst they can say is no. Just don't be surprised if they tell you they can't do anything. Cases aren't exactly a hot commodity, so I don't see them buying it back, at reduced rate, and then putting that towards a new TJC.

If I was you, I'd just keep the case. If you're dying for a TJC, just pick up a cheaper used one on Jemsite of something. They're not overly rare, and honestly, just a TKL case with a slightly modified mold.

Yeah I can see that. I'll give it a try when I go to pick up a few things later this week. To be honest, it's not so much that I'm dying for the case, so much as it is a bit of childish nostalgia. This really was one of my hero guitars and I'd like for it to have the effect of me buying it from Ibanez. I dunno, maybe after the honeymoon phase I'll think differently about it.

Selkies

BTBAM!?
Reaction score
Happy NGD man! I actually am a manager at GC Oxford valley, we don't take in cases but we can order you a prestige case from the hoshino factory, I love the RGA121's. My main player is a NAMM show prototype RGA121 in an awesome deep blue purple green red color changing sparkle I picked up when I worked at ibanez/tama hoshino factory in Bensalem PA. I tossed a Bareknuckle aftermath in my bridge and a Dimarzio Liquifire in the neck, highly reccomend that set!

warhead78

Reaction score
Best bang for the buck guitar out there IMO, the Painkiller sounds mighty tasty in the bridge as well :hbang:

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
Happy NGD man! I actually am a manager at GC Oxford valley, we don't take in cases but we can order you a prestige case from the hoshino factory, I love the RGA121's. My main player is a NAMM show prototype RGA121 in an awesome deep blue purple green red color changing sparkle I picked up when I worked at ibanez/tama hoshino factory in Bensalem PA. I tossed a Bareknuckle aftermath in my bridge and a Dimarzio Liquifire in the neck, highly reccomend that set!

That's unfortunate. Well, maybe I'll get around to ordering a case after a while when I can justify the need for buying a brand new one.

That's good news on the pickups though considering that was the combination I was leaning towards! :hbang:

Also, what's the deal with these sperzels? I haven't been able to keep them in tune yet. I restrung it the other day with a set of 10's and set it up and spent about 40 minutes stretching all the strings out but I still have to tune up my G, A, and occasionally D every few minutes. The things don't appear to be helping at all.

orakle

djentleman
Reaction score
you should include ''56k killer'' in the title hahaha !

pics are huge :p

anyways, guitar looks nasty clean for such a price !!!!:D

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
you should include ''56k killer'' in the title hahaha !

pics are huge :p

anyways, guitar looks nasty clean for such a price !!!!:D

Haha, yeah I apologize for that. :noplease: it didn't occur to me how big they really were until I started trying to scroll through the thread only to have it freeze. I might go try to re-size them and re-upload them to dropbox when I get some free time.

Tones

Red paperclip trader
Reaction score
welcome to the club mate. Best guitar i've ever owned. The bridge allows for some insanely low action which is why i love it so much. Feels so good playing it. I just did a setup on it and it plays better than ever

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
welcome to the club mate. Best guitar i've ever owned. The bridge allows for some insanely low action which is why i love it so much. Feels so good playing it. I just did a setup on it and it plays better than ever

I agree completely. The action I got without proper setup alone was incredible, but now that I'm working on getting it completely setup I'm having trouble finding the little truss rod wrench at a local place. :wallbash:

s4tch

Reaction score
Congrats, man, that's the most desirable hardtail Ibby that I can imagine. I had an RGA32 for a year or so, even the cheapo Indonesian RGA was a killer with a pair of DiMarzios.

')