NGD: Harley Benton Multiscale-8 QBB

• Thread starter TheBloodstained
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
They say curiosity killed the cat... never mind the cat! It's killing my wallet! :lol:

I've been curious about Harley Benton guitars for a good while now. I've heard mixed things about them - some people seems to really admire and recommend them, while others seem to have different experiences with everything from bad frets and construction flaws to faulty electronics and tuning stability issues.
I know my way around guitars enough to where I can do basic setup and repairs myself, so I was not too worried about many of the qualms that people seemed to have. The biggest dealbreaker for me would be unmanageable bad frets.

So yeah, I've been looking on and off on different Harley Benton models to satisfy my curiosity. In late november/early december 2023 I started missing having an 8 string in my collection again. I used to own an Ibanez RG2228, which was a brilliant guitar in every way except that I never really "connected" with it, so I ended up selling it.
You all probably know how it goes... I started looking at what was available on the market - both new and used. There was a couple of guitars that I almost bought, including a green B-stock version of the Harley Benton I ended up buying.

The one I ended up buying was a suspiciously cheap B-stock Harley Benton directly from Thomann. For the price I paid I was half expecting the guitar to come with some severe flaws, but I decided to take the chance. There's always the option to return it, if it turned out to be awful.

Let's begin with some pictures :)

IMG_3397_small.jpg
IMG_3399_small.jpg
IMG_3401_small.jpg
IMG_3404_small.jpg
IMG_3406_small.jpg
IMG_3407_small.jpg
IMG_3408_small.jpg
IMG_3410_small.jpg

Now, the guitar is solid. I went over the entire thing a couple of times when I received it, and I couldn't find any flaws in the construction. There's two minor finish blemishes - one on the back of the neck and one on the side of the body - but those doesn't bother me at all. If anything I actually think that they add some character to this budget axe.

The satin finish is beautiful and incredibly smooth. I recently acquired a Schecter Banshee Mach-7 and the finish on this Harley Benton rivals the finish on the Schecter, almost surpassing it in smoothness. Will be exciting to see how the HB finish holds up over time.

All the hardware seems to work as expected. The individual bridge saddles is a nice touch, and I have been tweaking the string height without any problem. The volume and tone pots has a nice feel to them with a lovely amount of resistance when turning the pots. They actually feel like the pots that were in my RG2228.
The tuners are Harley Benton's own locking tuners. I can't speak for the locking part yet, but the tuners themselves seems to work as expected. I have had a little tuning instability so far, but I can't tell whether that's from the strings stretching or from the hardware being unstable.

Pickups was a pleasant surprise for me. I get great tones out of the box, and did a little test recording where I got some of the best 8-string tones I've achieve thus far for my demos. I must admit that I'm tempted to upgrade with active pickups, but so far the stock pickups is more than usable for me.

The bad stuff...
The fretboard is DRY. Like... Sahara desert levels of dry. I need to get my hands of some lemon oil at some point. That will probably darken it a bit too.

The neck feels fat! Like oldschool Schecter fat. Only... it isn't?
I think it's a neck profile thing. I've been playing mostly on thin and fast necks the last couple of years, and the only other 8-string experience I have is from the aforementioned RG2228 I had, which have a typical wizard-ish Ibanez neck.
The neck on this feels fat, and it took some getting used to, but it's actually fine. I have small hands and can play this guitar without any problems or straining. I wouldn't go as far as calling it comfortable, but for some reason it just works for me. After adjusting to it I find myself noodling as usual without thinking about it.

The electronics are NOISY. I was only able to record a demo track by using an aggressive noise gate. I do have a pretty good idea about what's wrong though, so I'm not too worried about it. Apparently a lot of these guitars have various grounding issues from the factory, and that's something I can take care of by myself. I think I'm going to go through all the electronics and do some proper shielding of everything.

The frets are kind of rough. They seem to be level though, so I'm not too worried. Doing bends feels a bit funny, but it hasn't been a hindrance in any way, and I'm mostly riffing anyway, so it's all good. Might try to give the frets a polish at some point - or get the frets replaced with stainless steel frets! :lol:

So yeah, to sum it up...
I got a really cheap new toy which is really solid for an instrument in this price range. It's playable out of the box, but did come with some minor flaws which needs to be addressed at some point. Nothing critical though, but if you are a beginner with no experience about guitars and setups, then it could easily become a bad experience buying one of these.
Me, I'm more than satisfied with me purchase. I got a great looking, great sounded, playable instrument on a budget. I recon this will be a serious Schecter rival once I'm done tweaking the setup.

There's a couple of upgrades I've thought about doing at some point (depending on what it would cost):
- Better tuners. Andrew Baena fitted one of these with Graph Tech, but those are way to expensive. I'm thinking Gotoh.
- EMG 909's w. 18v mod
- Gold hardware swab (don't judge me! I'm well aware that I have lousy taste! :lol: )

...I guess I'll start with a fatter bottom string and go from there! ;)

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
Looks great, the inline headstock is a big improvement over the 4+4 models I've seen before
I'm a huge fan of inline reversed headstocks. Aesthetics was pretty much what made me consider this 8 string to begin with. I was also considering another Schecter since I like that brand so much, but aesthetically Schecter just isn't quite what I'm after, and they have gotten more expensive the last couple of years.
Solar Guitars was in play too, but one of their 8's would have cost me 4 times what I paid for this HB, and as of right now I simply can't justify parking that much money in a guitar - especially on one I bought solely based on curiosity. I know that I won't become an 8-string player any time soon, so I just wanted a cheap one for the occasional dabble in lower tunings, and for that I think it's hard to find a better axe than this HB.

I can always upgrade down the line if I feel the need :)

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
That looks really nice.

I get the neck reference. I have a Schecter that has a weird shaped neck. Not thick, but a little too big in one particular spot of the contour of the bass side of the neck.

kriff

Reaction score
Neck-thru, multiscale, quilted top eight string for under £400. And it's playable? Incredible.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
That looks really nice.

I get the neck reference. I have a Schecter that has a weird shaped neck. Not thick, but a little too big in one particular spot of the contour of the bass side of the neck.
It's the nicest feeling beefy neck I have ever played. I have no problems doing my scale runs or playing the 8th string. It's just a fun little guitar :)

Neck-thru, multiscale, quilted top eight string for under £400. And it's playable? Incredible.
Remember, I bought a B-stock which was essentially a returned item, so I got this for 2499 dkk which is like £287,61 / $238,93 according to the current exchange rates. I would still be mind blown had I paid full price for this. You get so much guitar for the money :)

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
Grats on the NGD, glad you like it!

From having owned several HB instruments, the common issues are what you mention: minor finish flaws, sahara desert level of dryness to the fretboard, and unpolished frets. Going over the frets with 0000 steel wool and following it with a polish changed the feel entirely. As for the noise issue, I wouldn't be surprised if it came from the saddles not being all grounded.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a owner of more than a handful of Harley Benton guitars, go them! Unbeatable bang for buck in my opinion.
Ngl, I've had this 8 string in my Thomann basket more than once :) One day I'll do it anyway, for now I'll please my 8-string gas with some downtuning and downpitching..

Happy with the pickups?
Edit: I didn't realize that there was more text after the pictures.....

Happy NGD!

Last edited:

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
As for the noise issue, I wouldn't be surprised if it came from the saddles not being all grounded.
Had a chat with a guy on another forum who had experience from owning several HB guitars, and he suggested that it could be either the bridge sadless that lacked proper grounding or loose connections on the jack connection. Both are apparently known faults with HB guitars. I will go through all the electronics at some point :)

Happy with the pickups?
Pleasantly surprised :) I think they sound good. I got pretty crispy and defined single note riffing on the low strings when recording a demo track using all my predefined sounds, so I'm happy :)
With that said I'm still tempted to upgrade to better pickups with more output - mostly because that's what I'm used to :shrug:

Also, I might get a bit darker tone once I get a beefier set of strings on this. It comes with .010, .013, .017, .030, .042, .054, .064, .074 as standard, but I would like some fatter strings on the bottom. The top side is fine thanks to the multiscale :)