NGD: I wish I could play my new Jackson 7 string

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I recently posted this in the Jackson thread, but I'll make a new thread just to blow off some steam. I purchased a Jackson multiscale 7 string last Friday from ProAudioStar. They don't take pictures of their actual items as things are drop-shipped, so I knew that buying something was going to come with an inherent risk. The guitar was listed as "mint" on reverb (I bought it directly from PAS's site). Guitar came in today and it's not exactly mint. It's almost great, except...

What is this? Is this a dead fret? Is the action too low? i don't wanna deal with this lol.

There's a chip on the finish as well.

I'd overlook the chip on the finish if that were the only issue since it's already in my possession and I really wanted this guitar. It was essentially 50% off, but I can't even play it as is. Furthermore, the 7th string broke while tuning it and I don't have any extras on hand, so like...fuck me eh?
I'll call em tomorrow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Should have specified better - I bought the guitar directly from ProAudioStar’s site. I only mentioned Reverb for the condition for which they listed the guitar.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Should have specified better - I bought the guitar directly from ProAudioStar’s site. I only mentioned Reverb for the condition for which they listed the guitar.
This kind of stuff happens more often when you buy from a store that doesn’t set up the guitar once they get it. Sorry it happened, but try a better store next time that will set it up before they ship.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't want to throw shade at pro audio star too badly in the other thread, but every single instrument i've bought from them has been fuuuuucked up. I returned all but one and the one I kept was damaged as well.

The only thing I use them for now is when there are "open box" deals on hardshell cases and high quality gig bag.

Since you can't play the Jackson, play with the cat!!!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
As per Reverb's condition guidelines:
"Mint condition items are completely blemish-free and have not been modified in any way. If there are any blemishes and/or modifications, the item needs to be listed as a condition less than mint"

Open a dispute.

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can return it or potentially get a partial refund. The guitar was 50% off of the new price. I paid 1014 including tax for this thing, so the thought of an even larger discount is potentially appealing. I'm not sure I'm gonna really care about the finish imperfection if I can get the thing to play decently.

The guitar came with 9-54s...I use 52s or 56s on my 6 strings...so it needs a setup regardless. I'm kinda torn on what to do.

Stiman

Reaction score
Take it to a local shop that has a Plek machine and just confirm that they can fix it with a Plek job and setup.

If they suggest to return it than you can make a decision, but if they tell you they can definitely fix it, then take the price you paid + the Plek & setup cost and ask yourself if you're happy with the total cost.

That's what I would do.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Agree with the folks above. And if you choose to keep it, just get some orange nail polish that most closely mimics the paint and put a dab on the chip.

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Take it to a local shop that has a Plek machine and just confirm that they can fix it with a Plek job and setup.

If they suggest to return it than you can make a decision, but if they tell you they can definitely fix it, then take the price you paid + the Plek & setup cost and ask yourself if you're happy with the total cost.

That's what I would do.

Yeah, this is basically where I'm at as well. I just called my luthier who mentioned looking down the neck to see if the third fret was maybe higher...like sticking out of the neck a bit...as if it weren't pressed down all the way. And it might just be placebo, but it kinda looks like the third is higher than the first two.

Loosen the truss a little and see if that disappears.

I appreciate this response. I can't remember (and I'm not scrolling up) if I mentioned that the 7th string broke while tuning and I don't have any 56 or higher string gauges on hand. SO, am I also up against not having proper tension on the neck that could potentially cause this?

Agree with the folks above. And if you choose to keep it, just get some orange nail polish that most closely mimics the paint and put a dab on the chip.

Yep! I'm gonna email ProAudioStar that picture of the chip and perhaps take a new video of the action/neck/fret issue and send it to them. I'm undecided on what to do and I suppose whatever they may or may not offer as consolation will shift me one way or the other.

Appreciate the responses.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah, this is basically where I'm at as well. I just called my luthier who mentioned looking down the neck to see if the third fret was maybe higher...like sticking out of the neck a bit...as if it weren't pressed down all the way. And it might just be placebo, but it kinda looks like the third is higher than the first two.

I appreciate this response. I can't remember (and I'm not scrolling up) if I mentioned that the 7th string broke while tuning and I don't have any 56 or higher string gauges on hand. SO, am I also up against not having proper tension on the neck that could potentially cause this?

Yep! I'm gonna email ProAudioStar that picture of the chip and perhaps take a new video of the action/neck/fret issue and send it to them. I'm undecided on what to do and I suppose whatever they may or may not offer as consolation will shift me one way or the other.

Appreciate the responses.
Potentially yes that could drop the tension 15-20 lbs so the truss has even less tension to pull on, sure. Think it's worth grabbing a pack of strings, give it a quick loosen, and see if that works.

')