NGD: Ibanez Apex 100 TFB (IbanezRules.com vs. MF Experience)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I recently scored a 2007 Ibanez Apex 1, the predecessor to the Apex 100, via a trade-in at my shop. It was from our very own moderator DJ Pharaoh in fact. Just as with my prior experiences with older mahogany MIJ Ibanez 7s, it was a big winner and I decided to keep it for myself. The positive experience with that guitar had me interested in picking up the current model, the Apex100 TFB.

I thought the idea of a quality alder body Ibanez 7 was intriguing and I fancied the aesthetics of it. So I picked one up new from Musician's Friend. The first one that came in played ok and sounded excellent. The DiMarzio Blaze pickup is a nice compliment to alder, due to how bottom-heavy it is and how smooth the upper mids are. However, it buzzed like hell, had a few high frets, needed a neck shim, and wasn't really usable. So I returned the guitar to MF. Thinking perhaps it was just a dud, instead of doing a return I asked them to just send me another one. They did. It came in. The 2nd one was setup even worse.

I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that Ibanez, while having great looks and fast necks, will always let me down with their various issues (background: at this point I've owned over 40 Ibanez 7s). However, I really loved the tone and vibe of the Apex100, so I decided to call up Rich Harris from IbanezRules.com. I had heard a lot of good things about him and knew if anyone would have one thats good it would be him. Being the owner of guitar shop myself with my own areas of expertise, I felt like I was going to the right source to get a proper Ibanez.

I must have spent a good 2 hours on the phone with Rich. He was very direct and honest about the issues Ibanez has, and have always had, with factory setups, nuts not being properly radiused, fret issues, etc. He explained that its common, even for J-Customs, to need some work here and there. Now granted, you could argue that he is biased since he makes his money offering upgrades and pro setups to Ibanez guitars, but everything he said matched my ~15 years experience being in this perpetual love/hate relationship with Ibanez. We all know any guitar in this price range should be perfect right out of the box, but alas, I am a sucker for these things and wanted to make one work.

So I decided "what the hell" and I purchased the guitar from him. It arrived today. I held on to the 2nd Musicians Friend Apex so I could directly compare the two. I had done my own setup on the MF one to get it as good as it could be without further mods. I have to say the difference was really startling, Rich did a GREAT job. It plays and sounds much better, the bridge and nut had been properly radiused to match the frets, it wasnt buzzy even with crazy low action, really happy.

So in conclusion, I have no affiliation with Ibanez or Rich Harris, in fact you could say my business is in direct competion with his with our ESPs and similar brands that compete against Ibanez. However he deserves credit for his expertise, frankness, and superb professional work. Also his prices were very fair. I would never buy a new Ibanez from anyone else.

On to the pics! Sorry for the cell phone pics below, my good camera is at work. You'll see the Apex 1 and my RG1077XL pictured with the Apex100. Those are both great guitars, but different. The Apex 1 neck is a bit more D-shaped, has a glossy finish on the back, really deep menacing tone. The Apex100 neck is unfinished/satin, a bit thinner, and the sound is a bit more snappy but still plenty of bass. The RG1077XL has a thinner neck than either. I have a Crunch Lab/Liquifire in the Apex 1. The Crunch Lab 7 sounds great in it. The Liquifire 7 sounds like trash in it. Probably will put a BKP in there soon enough. The RG1077XL has white BKP Aftermaths in it. Seeing as they make single coil 7s now, I'll probably be replacing the Blaze Middle with a Trilogy soon enough.

apex100.jpg

apex100b.jpg

group01.jpg

group03.jpg

group04.jpg

group05.jpg

group06.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow thats risky buying a guitar from a brown person, the guitar probably reeks of curry!

Happy NGD! :D

Technically he bought a guitar from me. He traded his Apex 1 to me plus a bit of coin for an ESP 7 we had at the store. But yeah Mesh is a great dude, known him forever!

Blackheim

Guitar Emperor
Reaction score
Nice score! I was always intrigued why Rich Harris has different set up levels (I think you did the Full option or something likely IIRC).
I do not have the experience you have, but, the fews Ibbys I have played (like 7 prestiges, 2 UVV7 and my current Apex 1) are like hit and miss with some little details that one should expect with guitars on that price range.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Congrats Nick. And yes, Rich works wonders with Ibanez. I bought an RG2120 from him a few years back. In my opinion, his setups are worth the extra money. I haven't come across another Ibanez that played so well.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nice score! I was always intrigued why Rich Harris has different set up levels (I think you did the Full option or something likely IIRC).
I do not have the experience you have, but, the fews Ibbys I have played (like 7 prestiges, 2 UVV7 and my current Apex 1) are like hit and miss with some little details that one should expect with guitars on that price range.

Congrats Nick. And yes, Rich works wonders with Ibanez. I bought an RG2120 from him a few years back. In my opinion, his setups are worth the extra money. I haven't come across another Ibanez that played so well.

Yeah for sure. Rich did the "silver package" setup, which is mainly about radiusing the nut and bridge, correcting any high frets, etc. Definitely worth it. He'll sell you a new in box/untouched one for way less than GC/MF, but it was worth getting the upgrade. Still ended up being less than regular price.

spilla

Reaction score
Very interesting, really makes me wish i had a good tech nearby. Thanks for sharing!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Congrats!!!

Absolutely stunning guitar!!!
IMO one of the nicest-looking Ibanez 7's :yesway:

Thanks man, I really dig it. The Blaze sounds great for leads. Pretty good for rhythm but not the tightest pickup in the world. Good enough for now though!

The first APEX in the picture is gorgeous, you're lucky for having more than 40 ibanez 7 hahaha. Congratz!

Haha well I've never had more than a few at any one time, but I've been through a million of 'em over the years.

Decipher

Ibanez Enthusiast
Reaction score
:metal: Congrads Nick! The read was good and very interesting regarding Rich's setup quality.

:noplease: These APEX 100 NGD threads are killing me.... If only I had the cash to get one. Still remains #1 on my must get list.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow thats risky buying a guitar from a brown person, the guitar probably reeks of curry!
Yes. All brown people consume curry and then go jam on 7 string guitars...
:lol:

Technically he bought a guitar from me. He traded his Apex 1 to me plus a bit of coin for an ESP 7 we had at the store. But yeah Mesh is a great dude, known him forever!
Cheers - that's a nice stable. The Apex1 was really a beast and hope you enjoy it man :metal:

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
Glad to see someone else has one besides me. I didn't have any of the set up issues guess I got lucky. :D

If you do put BKP in it please report back. And also congrats!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Glad to see someone else has one besides me. I didn't have any of the set up issues guess I got lucky. :D

If you do put BKP in it please report back. And also congrats!

Nice, you have one too. When researching it I couldnt find too many people who did. I do like how it sounds stock, but obviously I'll be BKP'ing it up soon enough. Going to throw in a Sinner neck single coil, but undecided about what to put in the bridge. I like the fundamental sound the Blaze has but its just not defined enough on the bottom end. I am leaning towards a Holydiver, as thats really clear yet warm.

Cheers - that's a nice stable. The Apex1 was really a beast and hope you enjoy it man :metal:

:yesway:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ended up installing a BKP Trilogy 7 in the neck position of this guitar. Sounds so much better now. Much warmer lead tones and richer clean tones. The Blaze SC wasn't unusable but this one sounds much better. I actually like the Blaze bridge model in this guitar, its a good fit for alder due to how much bass it has and smooth mids. Still I think I may toss in a Holydiver in its place eventually.

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
HNGD! Looks great. Also, love the group pics :D

I've always been thinking about ordering from Rich, but i don't know about overseas transport... there's risks in that.

Also, i can't believe that factory fresh J-Customs would have flaws or needed some work, but if Rich says so...

Latest posts

')