NGD: Ibanez Apex 100 TFB (IbanezRules.com vs. MF Experience)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
HNGD! Looks great. Also, love the group pics :D

I've always been thinking about ordering from Rich, but i don't know about overseas transport... there's risks in that.

Also, i can't believe that factory fresh J-Customs would have flaws or needed some work, but if Rich says so...

Thanks man. Yeah, Ibanez guitars play great and some of them have a good sound, but there's almost always some setup issues. Necks needing shims, uneven frets, the nut not properly radiused, etc. You can get a stock one that plays good enough, but Rich really does a good job at taking it to that next level where you feel like "wow". Now, I also understand the perspective that you should expect guitars in that price range to not have these issues, so fuck them. I know I've never had a PRS come in my shop that had any issues like this, for example. However if you're like me and just dig a guitar like this Apex, it was worth it to just deal with the "injustice" of it and just get it "fixed".

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metale

Reaction score
Did you manage to get the trilogy suite in white? Have pics of the Apex as it is now?

Cheers

iloki

Reaction score
the trilogy is a suite pickup (lol)

I had one in my 007 and loved it there

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Did you manage to get the trilogy suite in white? Have pics of the Apex as it is now?

Cheers

I went with the black Trilogy, as it contrasts better with the white pickguard. However the BKP 7-string singles also include white covers for those who want that look. But yeah I can take pics of how it looks now.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Do you miss a tone knob at all on this guitar?

Can you get a warm, fat jazzy tone with the neck single coil on this guitar?

I'm asking because for that kind of tone I usually have to roll off the tone knob quite a bit (to almost closed all the way, just a tad bit open)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Do you miss a tone knob at all on this guitar?

Can you get a warm, fat jazzy tone with the neck single coil on this guitar?

I'm asking because for that kind of tone I usually have to roll off the tone knob quite a bit (to almost closed all the way, just a tad bit open)

I don't miss the tone knob at all. In fact it was a feature I liked. Not only does it have a cleaner look and the signal path more pure, but I've never had any issues getting warm tones without one. I don't find the sound bright in either position, but then when you roll the volume down a bit it cleans up/mellows out even further. In my opinion, a tone knob is completely useless if you're using quality pickups/amps/speakers. Unless you're playing jazz exclusively.

That sad, keep in mind the stock DiMarzio Blaze singlecoil is ceramic and not that warm. I replaced it with a BKP Trilogy which has an alnico V magnet and is considerably warmer/sweeter sounding, yet still articulate .

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I don't miss the tone knob at all. In fact it was a feature I liked. Not only does it have a cleaner look and the signal path more pure, but I've never had any issues getting warm tones without one. I don't find the sound bright in either position, but then when you roll the volume down a bit it cleans up/mellows out even further. In my opinion, a tone knob is completely useless if you're using quality pickups/amps/speakers. Unless you're playing jazz exclusively.

Thanks!

I find myself using the tone knob quite a bit on my guitars, mostly for clean or lightly crunchy sounds. I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the guitar, amp or the pick-up's, having a tone knob just gives you more variety, IMO.

I like thew look of the Apex 100 so much, I think it's one of the nicest Ibanez 7's, and I have been considering getting one, I was wondering if the neck SC would give me a dark jazzy tone.

metale

Reaction score
I went with the black Trilogy, as it contrasts better with the white pickguard. However the BKP 7-string singles also include white covers for those who want that look. But yeah I can take pics of how it looks now.

Glad to hear that they provide white covers now. When I inquired them a month ago they only had seven string singles in black, hence my question.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks!

I find myself using the tone knob quite a bit on my guitars, mostly for clean or lightly crunchy sounds. I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the guitar, amp or the pick-up's, having a tone knob just gives you more variety, IMO.

I like thew look of the Apex 100 so much, I think it's one of the nicest Ibanez 7's, and I have been considering getting one, I was wondering if the neck SC would give me a dark jazzy tone.

Well all a tone knob is is a low pass filter. I just don't think thats necessary if your rig isn't producing thin highs. I prefer to just roll the volume knob down, that has a more dramatic effect on the tone, whereas a tone knob just rolls off high-end. But yeah it sounds fine as is.

Glad to hear that they provide white covers now. When I inquired them a month ago they only had seven string singles in black, hence my question.

Well they ship them in black but then can also provide the white covers. We have some extra ones at my shop. Most dealers should have them.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Good to hear you had a great experience with Rich Harris....for years, i've always raved about how great work he does. My UVs still play good to this day....he knows what he's doing. Nice score and congrats! :yesway:

Latest posts

')