NGD: Ibanez APEX100TFB (lots of pics)

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score

Ha ha, that was exactly the one I was talking about on the first page. I love it!
It is a bit awkward, but I did find it useful on my K-7 while playing live but eventually swapped out the trem for a black Lo Pro.

Swapping a powder cosmo Lo-Pro for a black one to get rid of the awkward feel? How does that work?
Did you swap the rest of the hardware too or do you have it mismatched ATM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Syriel

owns a .strandberg*
Reaction score
Ah. Apex100. I got to try it out when I was gonna buy my RGD. It was an awesome beast, and the single coil neck was just sexy. However, just couldn't justify its price new. :lol:

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
What perplexes me is the difference in fretboard radius between this model (430mm, which is what I like) and the Apex 2 (which is a super-tight 305mm, which I hate). I wonder why the difference?

Whatever the case, grats on getting this so cheap. One helluva find indeed!

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
What perplexes me is the difference in fretboard radius between this model (430mm, which is what I like) and the Apex 2 (which is a super-tight 305mm, which I hate). I wonder why the difference?

Whatever the case, grats on getting this so cheap. One helluva find indeed!

Yeah I don't know why they changed. I never played the Apex 2 so I can't speak to that but this is by far the most comfortable fretboard I have ever played.

squid-boy

Reaction score
You could probably palm mute, it would just take some new pathways in the brain to tell your hand not to slip too far onto the bridge itself.

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
After playing with the u bar more it is definitely possible. I was to quick to say that you could not palm mute. It does take some getting used to though.

Thinking about putting a tremol-no on this one too. :scratch:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Why don't more company's make 7's with a single coil in the neck???

I wish it was a little warmer though.

I think you answered your own question there! Another thing is the output dropoff from humbuckers to single coil. As much as i like having the single coil in the neck, the volume dropoff made it more of a pain whenever i had it - same with the coil taps.

but anyway, that is a killer guitar. I'm not even a floyd fan, but i'd live with it on that.

Reaction score
I think it looks really nice.

Just slightly better than the K7.

I hope Ibanez comes out with new Japanese 7 strings soon. The new Indo models are ok but I don't like what I see, where did the Japanese 7's go? :(

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
I think you answered your own question there! Another thing is the output dropoff from humbuckers to single coil. As much as i like having the single coil in the neck, the volume dropoff made it more of a pain whenever i had it - same with the coil taps.

but anyway, that is a killer guitar. I'm not even a floyd fan, but i'd live with it on that.

I guess I did :lol:

I wasn't either until I picked up this guitar and it just felt so damn good.

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
I think it looks really nice.

Just slightly better than the K7.

I hope Ibanez comes out with new Japanese 7 strings soon. The new Indo models are ok but I don't like what I see, where did the Japanese 7's go? :(

The place I bought it from use to make a ton of money off of Ibanez's. Now everyone is buying Schecter's and ESP's. The owner said he sells about 5-7 schecter's a day. He has not sold one high end Ibanez this year (until this one :hbang:).

:( really sad but there is your answer.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome. :yesway:

Something I simply have to ask: what's the routing like? Would it support a humbucker in the neck position and the addition of a tone knob?

Reaction score
The place I bought it from use to make a ton of money off of Ibanez's. Now everyone is buying Schecter's and ESP's. The owner said he sells about 5-7 schecter's a day. He has not sold one high end Ibanez this year (until this one :hbang:).

:( really sad but there is your answer.

I will probably end up paying big for an ESP Eclipse baritone.

I guess ESP can take chances and offer things like that, and Ibanez is playing it safe...as usual.

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
a while back i saw a video of munky playing his with either a black or black-aluminum-brushed-whatever pickguard. looked really awesome!

congrats dude :)

Augminished

Augminished Studio
Reaction score
Awesome. :yesway:

Something I simply have to ask: what's the routing like? Would it support a humbucker in the neck position and the addition of a tone knob?

I will check and get back to you later today.

I will probably end up paying big for an ESP Eclipse baritone.

I guess ESP can take chances and offer things like that, and Ibanez is playing it safe...as usual.

Ibanez is not doing anything unique like that also. I wish they would! You can't even consider them when looking at a another guitar because they don't offer a baritone. But they do offer a thousand rg shaped guitars.

Its also a matter of the cheap stuff sells. That's why they have so many guitars under a grand.

Could it be an Universe?

The neck is based off the early Universe so kind of but no.

thrashcomics

Ibanez and Line 6 since 1999
Reaction score
just so everyone knows...the u bar is not to keep palm muting off the bridge. they made it so they could use their palms for trem effects like just banging on the trem with their hands.

')