NGD: Ibanez DCM100 Dino Cazares Sig w/ lots of Photos and Clips!

• Thread starter simonXsludge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear back about this from a dealer but is the pickup a normal sized active? If I don't like the retribution I was thinking of dropping in an 81-7x but I've heard conflicting information on it. can you please confirm?

I just tried to measure as best I could with a metal ruler. The Retribution does seem to be a bit smaller. Based on the dimensions on EMG's website, maybe a 1/16th of an inch or so shorter than an EMG along both the length and width. I'm not sure an EMG would fit in the route.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear back about this from a dealer but is the pickup a normal sized active? If I don't like the retribution I was thinking of dropping in an 81-7x but I've heard conflicting information on it. can you please confirm?

I just tried to measure as best I could with a metal ruler. The Retribution does seem to be a bit smaller. Based on the dimensions on EMG's website, maybe a 1/16th of an inch or so shorter than an EMG along both the length and width. I'm not sure an EMG would fit in the route.

You can find the actual dimensions here:

http://www.emgpickups.com/media/productfile/7/0/707_ 60-7_ 81-7_0230-0131A.pdf

Seymour Duncan [www.seymourduncan.com] - Products - Humbuckers - AHB-1 7-strg. Phase II

The width of the EMG is 3.5 - the width of the Retribution is 3.526.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
So, for those of you who were curious about the dimensions of the Retribution, I just replaced it with an EMG 707X that I borrowed and it fits like a glove. It also sounds way better than the Retribution. Not as thick in the low end. Swapping them was super easy, as they both support the quick connect system.

I will probably end up getting a white 707X or 81-7X for this guitar. I'll have to try the latter, but whichever sounds better should look great in white against the finish. However, here are comparison clips of the EMG 707X vs. the Seymour Duncan Retribution:

EMG:
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/sludgestudios/riff-i-emg-707x[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/sludgestudios/riff-ii-emg-707x[/SC]

Duncan:
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/sludgestudios/riff-i-seymour-duncan-retribution-7[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/sludgestudios/riff-ii-seymour-duncan-retribution-7[/SC]

Which one do you guys like better?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah, the more I hear clips of the Retribution, the more I think it's not all too different than the standard Blackout. Actually surprised at how better the 707 is, given I don't like the standard version. Guess the X-series makes all the difference.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
The EMG is MUCH more articulate overall. That's pretty easy to hear. It's got me considering waking up my old love for EMG actives all over again. But the Black Winters have me more than satisfied.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
Yeah, the more I hear clips of the Retribution, the more I think it's not all too different than the standard Blackout. Actually surprised at how better the 707 is, given I don't like the standard version. Guess the X-series makes all the difference.
I absolutely agree.

I am going to try a regular 707 and 81-7 in the guitar in the next couple of days. All that's missing is the 81-7X. I might post some special comparison clips just for the regular EMGs vs. the EMG X series as soon as I have tried them all. I'm also curious to try a regualr Blackout in it, to see how it compares to the Retribution.

aneurysm

Type o´Negative
Reaction score
Didn´t surprise me either, the EMG is way more articulate. Guess the 81-7 would be even better !
Personally i don´t like EMG´s at regular Tunings ( E, Eb ) but the more downtuned they better they are.

el nowy

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
Maybe the EMG is more articulate but according to the audio samples i prefer the SD. It sounds to me more "organic" (or not as clean as the EMG) and maybe would be better for leads.

I'm still waiting for my DCM100 to arrive...

Apollo240

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar and congrats.

You really got me with the comment about "15 years ago". I remember 15 years ago, the great days it seems like. Brings back a big memory.

Latest posts

')