NGD: Ibanez knocks it out of the park everytime (56k Video/Pictures/Soundclip)

• Thread starter Jonathan20022
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
When Japan comes out with android sex slaves, they will be delivered in cases like that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
great man, congrats :D
now I'm dying :)) to know your opinion on this hi end Ibanez VS Music Man JP :D
in terms of built quality, playability, neck profile,sound :)
I always liked Ibanez but always thought I wouldn't pay on an ibanez more than max 50 % of a JP , never thought I could pay the same price ...

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I spent an absurd amount of time just staring at it haha. One thing I will say, the guitar is lightweight and very easy to carry, but that TLK case is absurd. Something like 30lbs with everything in the case haha. I'll probably be buying a separate Prestige HSC to carry this around.

Congrats bro! I really like the red top on it! Congrats on getting a steal!

Thanks broski! The Top is insane for sure, it's funny because I saw Protest the Hero and Luke was playing his 6 string J Customs and I thought it was the most stunning set of guitars haha. Definitely fitting for a man of his talents.

Man, I think between your JPs and now this, you've got one of my favorite collections on this site. :lol:

HNGD!

Thanks dude! That's awesome haha, it's a killer set of guitars, and I couldn't be happier haha, I've been extremely lucky to get the guitars I have. Crazy to think that my main guitar for 6 years was an LTD H-1001 haha, I miss that thing.

Word of mouth say that J-CUSTOMs have better playability than JEMs.
AND the JEM is already insane.
By the way...HNGD!
Great great score!

I wouldn't say better haha, but definitely as good! I remember playing my first JEM, I didn't want to put it down haha, I'm pretty sure my friend bought his off of Vai or something like that. It was worn in a bit, had really good smooth pots and it cleaned up so well.

Congrats!! Looks great - i'm curious about that thick book that it came with!

I'll post some pictures for you guys! It's like a huge history book on Ibanez, if you're a fan of Ibanez it's like a dream come true haha. We all spend an absurd amount of time looking up gear, but to know the history is immense, definitely a nice add on they throw in haha.

I'm not normally a fan of vine inlays, but it really works on your guitar, and dat finish doe! Definitely a beautiful axe you've got there, happy NGD! :metal:

Thanks man! I always thought they fit the JEM really well, and although it's really beautiful, I never really wanted it on a guitar for myself. It does fit the J Customs really well and the variety in materials they use to make the inlay is intense haha.

J custom -> red

UBER-HNGD

Yezzir! Thanks man haha

Ænima;4002941 said:
thats one shit hot piece of art work you got there!, AND ITS A GUITAR?! :O!!

I know what my next guitar is gonna be..... Sir, That is god damn sexy.

You should definitely look into a J Custom of some sort, the amount of attention to detail is immense. It's interesting how much I want to play it and how much I want to simply hang it up in a glass case :lol:

Oh, my... That's one of the most beautiful pieces of gear I've seen Ibanez stamped on. And a nice guitar as well!

Agreed! Thanks man :)

Dang.

Phenomenal instrument!

Haha thanks dude!

IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL! *crying tears of joy*

HNGD Jon! I'm so jelly!

:lol: That's how I felt when I got it in! Musician's Friend sometimes takes some really mediocre shots of a guitar, so I thought it was going to look terrible. Pleasantly surprised of course haha.

Awesome J Custom you scored there. Looks amazing
and superior attention to detail on those.

Thanks dude! That surprised me the most, I did not expect something of this caliber. I had just expected a Prestige with a Flame Top and the pretty inlay but I got so much more! :rofl:

Congrats man. That guitar looks awesome!

Besides the beautiful guitar I forgot to mention the great playing. Good job on the covers. :yesway:

Also you should upload a video of "read-a-long" of that massive book for us. :lol:

Thanks Tommy :) I really had wanted to cover Tapestry in it's entirety, and I probably still will haha. And dude I should haha, the book is so interesting and feels like a history book and an Ibanez Catalog at the same time :lol:

:bowdown:So amazing. Great pictures too! Damn....

Thanks dude! I'm really learning to appreciate what a good lens can do to a decent camera. This Sony NEX-5 is a little beast! :D

Actually, those are very good pics. Classy looking guitar, really nice score!

Thanks Shawn! I appreciate it man, I'm still learning how to photograph properly, so we'll see how far that goes haha.

that is one sexy lady in red! :yesway:
congrats! HNGD! :)

Yezzir! Thank you :D

Was eye balling this same one, the price was pretty good too. Just throw in some white or cream pickups! Would look killer.

Dude it was insane! They had it cheaper than the used one they had in stock at the same time, I was like. For a new guitar, I can't resist haha. I might actually order a set of PAFs in Zebra Black/Creme for this, I can't stress how good they sound for just about everything!

J. Custom is on a different level! Agreed!

I am now a believer :bowdown: it's really cool when you run into a piece of gear that is so perfect that you wouldn't change anything about it haha.

This is what I am right now. Also just noticed you own a koa rosewood neck jp which is next to a J-custom on my want list, I actually had a downpayment on one before I had a medical emergency... dammit!

Image: Large Jar of Grape Jelly

Yezzir! The Koa is incredible as well, I was surprised I could find one. After I returned my BFR7 Rosewood, I was on the lookout for any other EBMM Rosewood BFR's, and Sweetwater hooked it up!

When Japan comes out with android sex slaves, they will be delivered in cases like that.

I'm absolutely okay with that :cool:

Wow! that's one beautiful guitar! HNGD!!!! :shred:

Thanks dude :) I appreciate it!

that's a pretty fiddle!

Thanks man :D

Well that's orgasmic.

:agreed:

Aris_T

Reaction score
Beautiful! Just beautiful!

It's great to know that the PAFs are doing it right on this beast!

Congrats and HNGD!

PS: Great playing!

ChubbyEwok

Reaction score
Ok dude seriously, that's too beautiful. Congrats man, that's a stunning guitar! :)

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I figured I'd answer this seperately.

great man, congrats :D
now I'm dying :)) to know your opinion on this hi end Ibanez VS Music Man JP :D
in terms of built quality, playability, neck profile,sound :)
I always liked Ibanez but always thought I wouldn't pay on an ibanez more than max 50 % of a JP , never thought I could pay the same price ...

I'm going to be completely honest, I would never drop the amount that these cost new. I got insanely lucky finding one at a great price, I don't know how I'd feel about it if I had paid the normal price either.

And as far as what you're getting, when you're in this tier of instruments, the quality is going to plateau in sense. EBMM makes an absolutely stunning set of guitars, and I'm proud to own them all, likewise with Ibanez. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, same with the Jackson Broderick CS I had, they all feel at the same level when it comes to attention to detail and quality. They're all 10/10's for me as far as that goes :)

The biggest difference is of course in the other features you listed, playability is just as nice as the JP's. The J Custom came setup with really, REALLY low action at 1mm Treble, 1.5mm Bass. Pleasant surprise since I setup my JPX7 the same way! They have a similar action and radius, the JPX7 is still my favorite guitar and I gravitate to that one for no reason in particular. But I have to say, the fretwork and ball ends are superior for sure, my tech is going to have to do that to my JP's soon! :lol:

Neck profile is very different, I want to say the J Custom is a D Shape profile just by looking at it but it feels like a C Shape. So I guess that just means it has very subtle shoulders, I love it. I had a K7 which is a much more prominent D shape with noticeable shoulders, that one I did not mesh with at all, but this one feels really nice. 19mm at the first fret, 21mm at the 12th.
The JP's have a slightly thinner profile, but the profile is very different, it's asymmetrical on the JP's where the bass side is slightly thicker than the treble side of the neck. All preferential of course, but the Ibanez profile feels more familiar since I've played C shaped necks for years.

Sound is drastically different as well, the PAF's are low/medium output pickups, and the Crunchlab/Titan/Illuminators I have in the other guitars are all at least double the output of these. I find that the PAF's are much easier to manipulate and work with, in the sense that, sure it doesn't have a lot of output but you can always bump up the gain a bit and EQ your amp to get a similar feel of a high output pup. The PAF's are really fat and thick on the low end, throaty when it comes to the split positions, I should record a clip to showcase how bright they really are in those positions!

As far as tonewood differences, this sounds the closest to my JP6 PDN Honeyburst. Similar tonewoods barre the Roasted Maple Neck which brings up the clarity a tad, the J Custom is warmer but they're still very similar. Every other JP I bought because of the difference in tonewoods so they wouldn't sound similar, so they're all very different haha. All I know, is that I've recently taken a liking to Mahogany Bodied guitars :rofl:

Sure there are a lot of options on the market for the price, and you don't have to lay down the money for a J Custom, but it's still as good. Everything else does come down to preference, so I'd keep that in mind when buying something high end. So take my opinion with a grain of salt and definitely give the guitars you're considering a shot before throwing down for it! Thanks for the question dude!

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
Congratulations buddy, that's a guitar for someone who's serious about it. HNGD .

Reaction score
thanks a lot for the reply :)
interesting that you say the JP has an asymmetrical neck, I have a JP6 and I would describe the neck : thin, soft C shape but didn't notice or was aware that the JP neck is asymmetrical....were you taking about the JP7 neck ?

you are perfectly right, it's just the where I live in Romania you cannot try every brand you want like in US and then decide :))
I bought my JP6 purely based on reviews and on the fact that I'm a JP fanatic :))
and looks I just can't make a change in guitars brand :))
I have bought 2 JP stelrings also and now I am waiting gor my JP7 :D

I figured I'd answer this seperately.

The JP's have a slightly thinner profile, but the profile is very different, it's asymmetrical on the JP's where the bass side is slightly thicker than the treble side of the neck.

Sure there are a lot of options on the market for the price, and you don't have to lay down the money for a J Custom, but it's still as good. Everything else does come down to preference, so I'd keep that in mind when buying something high end. So take my opinion with a grain of salt and definitely give the guitars you're considering a shot before throwing down for it! Thanks for the question dude!

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Beautiful! Just beautiful!

It's great to know that the PAFs are doing it right on this beast!

Congrats and HNGD!

PS: Great playing!

Absolutely man, I'm so stoked on these. I've always liked PAF's but never tried them through a good rig on a 7 string before.

Ok dude seriously, that's too beautiful. Congrats man, that's a stunning guitar! :)

Thanks dude :)

Congratulations buddy, that's a guitar for someone who's serious about it. HNGD .

I definitely am haha, I have a lot in store this year and next in the way of music.

thanks a lot for the reply :)
interesting that you say the JP has an asymmetrical neck, I have a JP6 and I would describe the neck : thin, soft C shape but didn't notice or was aware that the JP neck is asymmetrical....were you taking about the JP7 neck ?

you are perfectly right, it's just the where I live in Romania you cannot try every brand you want like in US and then decide :))
I bought my JP6 purely based on reviews and on the fact that I'm a JP fanatic :))
and looks I just can't make a change in guitars brand :))
I have bought 2 JP stelrings also and now I am waiting gor my JP7 :D

Yeah it is still a relatively C shaped neck, but at least on mine it "leans" towards the bass side if that makes sense. Check yours when you get a chance! The JP6/7, BFR, and JPX all have this same profile. I really like them a ton.

And thats true man, I wish you were able to! It was tough buying sight unseen over here, but it's a bit easier around these parts to just return it and get a different model. The Sterlings are awesome as well, and funnily enough I'm not that into Petrucci and Dream Theater, I'm familiar with their work in general but I'm not super into them, just like the guitars a ton :D

Love me some J Customs!

Now I do as well :D

Santuzzo

Reaction score
OMG, awesome looking guitar and sick playing! :yesway:

Congrats!

I'm quite surprised to see you posting an Ibanez NGD, as somehow in my head you are the EBMM-dude :)

Great to hear, though, you love the j-custom!

What string gauge do you have on it? Stock string must have been 009s I think?

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score

Thanks dude :)

:shred:

Yup, that is what I call a perfect NGD. Many congrats!

Thanks dude! I appreciate it!

OMG, awesome looking guitar and sick playing! :yesway:

Congrats!

I'm quite surprised to see you posting an Ibanez NGD, as somehow in my head you are the EBMM-dude :)

Great to hear, though, you love the j-custom!

What string gauge do you have on it? Stock string must have been 009s I think?

Thanks bud! And yeah haha, it was on a whim to be honest to finally try a J Custom and see what the buzz was about. Maybe if EBMM endorses me I won't need to post anything else ;)

And Thanks man, they feel pretty light so I'm pretty sure it's whatever they usually come with. Really fun to solo with 9's in Eb if it is in fact a set of 9's! :lol:

Flawless playing man! Have fun with it! :D

Thanks bud :D I definitely will haha.

Zak1233

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, this isn't helping my J-Custom GAS. Absolutely stunning guitar you got there!
Will be picking up a J-Custom when I'm in Tokyo next month, probably the RG8570Z BBE or the RG8420ZD-DLL. You're making me want an RG8527Z-BX 7 string though. :lol:

Latest posts

')