NGD: Ibanez PGM301 2004

Mwoit

Reaction score
NGD: Ibanez PGM301 2004

20211114_222357.jpg 20211114_214237.jpg

Got this on eBay for £640. It seemed like a good price for a relatively good nick 2004 PGM301. I remember playing one about 15 years ago or so in a store, and it blew my mind. It got me hooked on Ibanez (which is ironic, since I've sold most of my Ibanez guitars!). I don't really shred, but it's quite a honky snappy guitar which is great for leads and it plays like butter. I did have a slight hesitation picking this up (I really don't need another damn guitar but...) as I recall the 5 piece neck, but the 1 piece neck here is cool.

Will I keep it? I'll hold onto it for now and see how far I get with it - it needed a bit of a set up upon arrival but after a wee polish of the frets, and new strings, it seems to shred!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ChrispyFinch

Reaction score
One of the only guitars I regret selling. I had a 5 piece neck version and it was sublime. It covered some sounds that I didnt currently have and played fantastically.
Cheers for the NGD!

Adieu

Reaction score
Pretty cool. Those fake soundholes on an expensive guitar, though...

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
One of my fav guitars ever congrats.

Don’t worry if your don’t play shred. The majority of the time neither does PG these days. And it works for him.

Mwoit

Reaction score
One of my fav guitars ever congrats.

Don’t worry if your don’t play shred. The majority of the time neither does PG these days. And it works for him.

It's incredibly snappy unplugged and plays real smooth. I'm too used to my weird guitars so playing like this straight shredder is nostalgic. I'll never be a shredder but maybe I'll work on some old school PG tunes.

These are sweet. Wish they still made em. Congrats + HNGD!

I double checked reviews and was surprised how universally loved these guitars are. I don't recall them being too pricey when they launched, and they are rather 1 trick pony (no tone, PAF pickups) but total rock machines. Not sure what incarnation of guitars Paul is playing these days, but I sure like this one.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
These days he’s usually playing a Fireman, his ‘reverse-Iceman’ -bodied signature. Mahogany body and set-neck and have been available with a few different pickup configurations -
a_main_PaulGilbert.jpg

A pretty big departure from his RGs. I do miss the days of the F-holed PGMs, HNGD!

Siggevaio

Reaction score
These days he’s usually playing a Fireman, his ‘reverse-Iceman’ -bodied signature. Mahogany body and set-neck and have been available with a few different pickup configurations -

A pretty big departure from his RGs. I do miss the days of the F-holed PGMs, HNGD!
They did release the PGM333 and the Mikro PGMs pretty recently though.

Nice find for £640. They go for at least twice as much in Sweden nowadays.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
A Gilbert Christmas album can only be a good time! I’ve really enjoyed some his more laid back material from the last few years. After adoring the bombast of RacerX in my teens, Stone Pushing Uphill Man and Behold Electric Guitar were a great reintroduction.

Amer Alameddine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This guitar is a classic! I'm surprised the rest of the white finish didn't turn to the blond color of the middle pickup. Always wanted to try one of these, have a blast it with it mate!

TheUnvanquished

Reaction score
Yeah the Saber is a S1XXV. I had the yellow version for a little while when they first were released.

About that Paul Gilbert signature though. What a cool guitar. I wanted a PGM301 in my college years and could never quite get the money to grab one. My local shop is an Ibanez dealer and the shop owner was going to offer a great deal (about $150-$200 off the price they were going for brand new). I know that the shop owner has a soft spot for Paul and his music. I'm not entirely sure if that is why the great deal was offered, but I could never quite get the money together to get one at the time. It still makes me kind of sad.

Anyway, congrats man. The 301 and the 200 were the coolest of the PGMs. Nice acquisition!

aesthyrian

Reaction score

ScottThunes1960

Reaction score
Yeah I was kinda surprised that he was playing a 2012 Indonesia model. I wonder how much of a LACS treatment it got, if any?

Anything he did to the guitar was probably with his own hands and feet taking him to a hardware store and back (e.g. adhering a magnet on the lower cutaway for his slide). Even if the fretwork wasn’t up to LACS standards, he plays with higher action these days. If you message him about the guitar, he’ll probably respond.