NGD: Ibanez Prestige RGA121H CDO (Another one)

• Thread starter Dentom79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dentom79

Reaction score
It seems that I was not the only one this week to buy a RGA121H, but I'm sure glad I did.

First the pictures:
JpsD7s6.jpg

AuNuPvv.jpg

jgXP2ik.jpg

iBbAsHp.jpg

It looks like the previous owner barely touched it, but he really just took amazing care of it.
The pickups installed are a Dimarzio LiquiFire in the bridge and a Dimarzio Mo Joe in the neck.
It came setup in E standard with a set of .09-.42 strings, but I've changed the E string to a .60 and tuned it to BADGbe. (To get that Architects - Early Grave groove :yesway:)

But this isn't my first RGA121 to be honest, I already have a VLF RGA121:
tumblr_mwguevFS2B1s3damto1_1280.jpg

But since these guitars are such good value for the price, we stick to only one..

I've been an Ibanez Fan since I bought a RG1570 in 2007, but the last 2 years I didn't really care all to much about them. I sold my RG1520a and my RG547 but I kept my trusty old RGA121 since it was such a nice guitar. But now recently I've regretted these sells and I started looking at expanding my Ibanez Collection again, and this is a great start.

Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emil357

Reaction score
GZ very god axe - just bought one myself. How does it compare to the VLF? Feel and sound?

Dentom79

Reaction score
Sound wise it's hard to tell since the pickups are different, but I would recon that that maple top does not change the sound all that much.

The Feel is indeed different, a glossy finish makes all the difference and its noticeably heavier.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Gorgeous! Congrats on the buy. Seeing this Ibanez Prestige RGA121H CDO makes me want to go play mine, so I think I'll go grab it right now :lol:

CDO ftw :hbang:

How do you like the Dimarzio pickups in there?
I have my RGA121H CDO in Drop Bb (sometimes Drop A) with 13-59 D'addario's with the stock pickups. Stock pups aren't actually that bad and are more than usable for me (just have to boost the mids and highs a lot I find), definitely better than EMG 81/85 for me (which were in my LTD VB-300 that I sold to fund the RGA).

yuvioh

The G.A.S. is real..
Reaction score
this is killing me! another rga121 with a killer finish! just stunning. anyways...
Congrats! HNGD! :)

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Great score. Fantastic guitar. Finish is awesome!

Dentom79

Reaction score
Gorgeous! Congrats on the buy. Seeing this Ibanez Prestige RGA121H CDO makes me want to go play mine, so I think I'll go grab it right now :lol:

CDO ftw :hbang:

How do you like the Dimarzio pickups in there?
I have my RGA121H CDO in Drop Bb (sometimes Drop A) with 13-59 D'addario's with the stock pickups. Stock pups aren't actually that bad and are more than usable for me (just have to boost the mids and highs a lot I find), definitely better than EMG 81/85 for me (which were in my LTD VB-300 that I sold to fund the RGA).
I'm actually liking the LiquiFire/MoJoe combination, I would have picked the Tone Zone / Air Norton combo myself.
They sound a lot more balanced all around, more clarity in the low-end but less treble-y highs. Harmonics come out a lot better as well.

Dentom79

Reaction score
Thanks, it's hard to find a Prestige guitar that's not jaw-droppingly beautiful, so I'm not going to take credit for it. :)

@ OmegaSlayer: It's a Dimarzio Mo Joe in the bridge and a LiquiFire in the neck, previous owner was a Satriani fan I guess.

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Congrats! I used to have a CDO and VLF as well, and ended up selling the VLF (just because it was a little beat up and the CDO was mint). Great guitars!

tjh

Reaction score
The hell is everyone been finding these....I have been searching for a decent one forever.

Dentom79

Reaction score
@lewstherin006: More balanced than the stock set, a bit less output but more defined sound. Overall a great pickup, but aesthetics wise, I'm not digging the chrome torx screws thought, oh well. :)

')