NGD! Ibanez Prestige SZ4020FM

• Thread starter BubbleWrap
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BubbleWrap

Reaction score
This is also a bit of an introductory post, so sorry if it's a bit convoluted. I've been playing guitar for around seventeen years and developed a pretty large collection, 11 at the highest point a few months ago, mostly Ibanez Prestige shredders. Over the past few months I'd decided that I couldn't stand my tremolo equipped guitars any longer and needed to cut down and refine my collection. So I started selling the ones I wasn't completely nuts about, which turned out to be most of them. I've been casually searching for one of these in great shape for a few years. I sent out random messages to members on other forums who had these listed on their gear pages. I finally got a response last weekend from a middle aged guy who was the original owner and didn't take a liking to it. Aside from the usual tarnish of the cosmo black hardware, it's in mint condition! The setup wasn't great when it arrived; the action was kinda high, the pickups were too low, and the finish on the neck was really sticky. No wonder the guy didn't love it. After adjusting the action and pickups it played like a dream. It has a Gibraltar custom bridge which I absolutely love compared to all of the Ibanez tremolos I've had. I actually like the pickups more than I thought I would. They're Seymour Duncan/IBZ's and sound really similar to a JB/Jazz set. I was planning on swapping them out for a nazgul or pegasus and sentient set but may end up keeping them. I'm currently in the process of refinishing the neck. I'll post an updated pic of the neck when I finish.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
HNGD! Wow, that one is pretty minty fresh. My 4020 TKF doesn't look nearly as nice as that one either. The Duncan/IBZ pickups are actually SH-1N ('59) in the Neck and a SH-6 (Distortion) in the bridge. .

Vrollin

Reaction score
Very nice! I recently picked up one of these myself, from the states, and still yet to to my NGD for it. I've polished all the worn cosmo parts to chrome, put a JB in the bridge, swapped the tail piece for a Gotoh one (dont like the look of the quickchange unit) and added some Gotoh locking tuners to mine. It's quickly become my favorite guitar I've ever owned.
The pickups that are in yours, if you pull them out and look on the back youll notice very familiar stickers, as these are in fact re-badged Duncan SH2 and TB6's. So you were almost on the oney when you thought it might have been a JB.
Did you get the original case with yours??

exo

Reaction score
That's worthy of a Zoolander reference. Really, really, really ridiculously good looking!

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Very nice! I recently picked up one of these myself, from the states, and still yet to to my NGD for it. I've polished all the worn cosmo parts to chrome, put a JB in the bridge and added some Gotoh locking tuners to mine. It's quickly become my favorite guitar I've ever owned.
The pickups that are in yours, if you pull them out and look on the back youll notice very familiar stickers, as these are in fact re-badged Duncan SH2 and TB6's. So you were almost on the oney when you thought it might have been a JB.
Did you get the original case with yours??

And you didn't even post pictures....:noplease:

BubbleWrap

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. I really appreciate the info on the pickups. Vrollin, it did come with the original case. JD27, thanks, I remember lusting over pictures of your SZ collection.

Rolanthas

Reaction score
These SZ's, with a couple of changes in scale and frets etc, would be my ideal guitar. Used a 520qm for the last 10 ish years, and I really had major trouble adjusting to anything else I've bought until very very recently. Just ridiculously well built and playable pieces. Such a shame Ibby didn't pursue the initial run further.

HNGD Bubble!

BubbleWrap

Reaction score
Here's a pic after sanding the neck up to 2000 grit, wetting it to raise the grain, sanding again, repeating, then applying a layer of tru oil. Now I wait.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 131

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Nice, I might need to try that. The stock finish is a bit tacky.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
wow that is probably the nicest SZ i've ever seen!
too bad Ibanez isn't making these anymore, they were amazing instruments, kind of an "Ibanez take on a PRS Custom 24".

Vrollin

Reaction score
Here's a pic after sanding the neck up to 2000 grit, wetting it to raise the grain, sanding again, repeating, then applying a layer of tru oil. Now I wait.

Reckon you should stain it black again before the tru-oil :hbang:

BubbleWrap

Reaction score
I've been busy... I'm trying to decide if I'm going to dye it or not.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 80
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 55

BubbleWrap

Reaction score
I'm thinking of finishing with boiled linseed oil, possibly restaining the flamed maple caps, followed by numerous coats of tru oi, polished, then waxed.

BubbleWrap

Reaction score
This one's coming along slowly. It's almost completely stripped. Hopefully I can start finishing it this weekend.

BubbleWrap

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, boys. I've got this sanded down to 1200 grit and finished with only boiled linseed oil. Super pleased. This neck feels like buddah.

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 97

Vrollin

Reaction score
Sexyyyyyyyy! Looks a lot like the natural flame 4020 now! I've got a 2020 in flat black that I'm tempted to sand down and oil but half of me likes it in black and I've already got two others in an ouled or stained finish...

Latest posts

')