[NGD] Ibanez RG 7421 PB SPB

• Thread starter Rocks256
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
theyre not as good as they used to be is what im saying. no changes in gear since i bought it. the guitar was not dropped. theres air bubbles in the paint that cave in and chip away. when i have practice on thursday ill take pictures.

Mine just showed up today, for the price so far im happy but ill wait a while before i really judge. I really hope that yours was a lemon and that these are solid guitars. I have to admit though a matte finish on this soft poplar top concerns me for sure not a lot of protection on this soft wood.beyond that my guitar came with hipshot locking tuners and bridge and SD - nazgul and sentient pickups so i shouldnt have any issues with hardware.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EVH-5150

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an older thread but you guys are just the ones I need to ask.... I just ordered a new (probably old stock) 7421 in the Flat Sapphire Blue burst with the burl top. Is it normal to see this kind of variation in the surface, or is it uncommon??? I can't find any other examples of photos. I'd like to know your personal experience before I contact the shop/seller that I bought it from. Thanks.

Yes, this is my first post. ;)

Ibanez 2.jpg

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an older thread but you guys are just the ones I need to ask.... I just ordered a new (probably old stock) 7421 in the Flat Sapphire Blue burst with the burl top. Is it normal to see this kind of variation in the surface, or is it uncommon??? I can't find any other examples of photos. I'd like to know your personal experience before I contact the shop/seller that I bought it from. Thanks.

View attachment 66278
Thats just the burl veneer, nothing to worry about. Welcome to the forum!

Yup, it doesn't have any 'filler' so the burled poplar it will look and feel like that. Some companies will use 'filler' (like Kiesel or ESP) so that you feel a more uniform surface.

EVH-5150

Reaction score
Yup, it doesn't have any 'filler' so the burled poplar it will look and feel like that. Some companies will use 'filler' (like Kiesel or ESP) so that you feel a more uniform surface.

Awesome, thanks!

I finally had my first playing experience last night. Overall impression is that it's pretty solid. However, the pickups seemed a little muddy in the patch I was using through my Helix. But, I had just finished playing my EBMM JP6 so I was used to hearing that tone before picking up the RG. I'm wondering how many of you have swapped out your stock pups???

Also, what would you recommend maintaining the matte "sheen" with? I'm sure a normal guitar polish spray would not be appropriate but I want to keep the smudges and hand prints off. Thanks.

Last edited:

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks!

I finally had my first playing experience last night. Overall impression is that it's pretty solid. However, the pickups seemed a little muddy in the patch I was using through my Helix. But, I had just finished playing my EBMM JP6 so I was used to hearing that tone before picking up the RG. I'm wondering how many of you have swapped out your stock pups???

Also, what would you recommend maintaining the matte "sheen" with? I'm sure a normal guitar polish spray would not be appropriate but I want to keep the smudges and hand prints off. Thanks.

Most OEM 'stock' pickups can be on the muddy side. It's common for people to want to change them out.

You are correct that you don't want to use your standard guitar polish on that finish. Best practice is to wipe your instrument down with a microfiber cloth after every use. I'm not 100% confident in what to recommend for a 'deep clean,' although I think a very slightly dampened (water) microfiber cloth is a common recommendation. Generally though, most matte and satin finishes will naturally gloss-up over time.

Rocks256

Reaction score

View attachment 66278
Thats how wood is, it suppouse to be like that. Wish they still did produce white on. Sold it for Schecter

jl-austin

Reaction score
I have a RG7421 (without the top, pretty much the same thing), I replaced the pickups, the nut got replaced with a Tusq nut and the frets have been polished. It's my go to guitar at the moment.

I ordered an RGTR421 and it came it with unpolished frets. The dealer is taking care of that. It is getting a bunch of stuff replaced as well.

So, yeah, the standard line is hit or miss. Don't expect a perfect guitar for this price point. They are awesome when modded though. :)

EVH-5150

Reaction score
I have a RG7421 (without the top, pretty much the same thing), I replaced the pickups, the nut got replaced with a Tusq nut and the frets have been polished. It's my go to guitar at the moment.

I ordered an RGTR421 and it came it with unpolished frets. The dealer is taking care of that. It is getting a bunch of stuff replaced as well.

So, yeah, the standard line is hit or miss. Don't expect a perfect guitar for this price point. They are awesome when modded though. :)

Yeah, overall it seems pretty solid with the expectation that a few things could be easily modified for better performance. The frets on mine are pretty rough. Good thing I picked up a set of StewMac Fret Erasers over the holidays. ;)

')