NGD: Ibanez RG2228-GK

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your BKP mod makes me rethink that.... lol. Did you have to modify the pickups or do they come in that soapbox size already?
Bare Knuckle offers them in the active size as a drop in replacement (plus obviously changing out the 25k pots).

As far as I know, they're the only one offering that soapbar shaped pickup in a metal cover. Everyone else has some variation of the same black plastic cover like the EMGs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neurosis

Reaction score
Bare Knuckle offers them in the active size as a drop in replacement (plus obviously changing out the 25k pots).

As far as I know, they're the only one offering that soapbar shaped pickup in a metal cover. Everyone else has some variation of the same black plastic cover like the EMGs.
I am going to have to take that into consideration. I was only aware of those and the pickups rings or covers you can put on some passives. But this gives options... it's just expensive :D

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
I kind of miss the RG2228 that I had. I sold it a couple of years ago because I rarely played it. It was a super solid guitar - as you would expect from a Prestige Ibanez - but I just never truly connected with it, and at that time I couldn't really wrap my head around the 8th string, so I was always either mindlessly chugging on the F# or just using it as a 7-string.

I've found myself longing for an 8-string again lately. I miss having one in the collection :)

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I have no need for an 8-string (only made the leap to getting my first 7-string last year, after years of deliberation), but if I was in the market for one it would almost certainly be an RG2228. From your description of the state it arrived in and the work you've done on it, yours has found a good home! :)

I own three 6-string RGs in Galaxy Black, plus one in Galaxy White, and an RG1527 in Royal Blue. Metallic / glittery finishes aren't my favourite in general, but they really do look good on an RG.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What pickups do you have in it? This one comes with Fusion Edge pickups it looks like, were those any good?
That one I got second hand, and it came with a set of Lundgren Black Heavens. Which I honestly love. Super hot but the mid focus on them make them pretty clear.

I did have a set of the Fusion Edge pickups in my 2027XL and I was pleasantly surprised by them. They were kinda medium hot, sounded kinda neutral EQ with a small mid bump to my ears. Best I could describe them is maybe like a slightly overwound PAF set?

I swapped them just cause that's what I do but I've got a 7X20 mutt on the bench and I liked them enough that I'm planning for them to go in that.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I kind of miss the RG2228 that I had. I sold it a couple of years ago because I rarely played it. It was a super solid guitar - as you would expect from a Prestige Ibanez - but I just never truly connected with it, and at that time I couldn't really wrap my head around the 8th string, so I was always either mindlessly chugging on the F# or just using it as a 7-string.

I've found myself longing for an 8-string again lately. I miss having one in the collection :)
8s honestly didn't work for me first go around.

Big difference for me in the second go is that I got into more bands that play in that F#, Drop E, double drop D type range. They gave me a better idea of how to utilize it rather than just chugga chugga bwow. Vola, Haken and Northlane are three big ones for me. Starset is another band that gets low on a couple songs just in specific spots but use the full range in a tasteful song writing way.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread but I shifted to thinking of the 8 string as basically a 6/7 string for chords and melodies, and then the E-B-F# as rhythm/bass. So my fretboard visualizing kinda looks at the guitar in those two overlapping formats.

I think the first go around I was visualizing it as basically a 7 string plus an extra low string. So the 8 was out on an island and I'd want to play JUST that string or I'd play the stuff above it and ignore it, and then try to shoehorn the low notes in and it just didnt work. It's also a little overwhelming to digest the whole 8 string range all at once, and perhaps doesn't suit the low string well since it general sounds like ass when you use it in chords for example.

In my experience, riff wise, those three lowest strings play well off of eachother.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
That looks great. Kudos on the BKP's vs the ugly EMG's...

')