NGD!!! Ibanez RG3EXKA1 Koa Content

• Thread starter spn_phoenix_92
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
After searching for months & being beat to a few of them, I've finally got my hands on the sexy Ibanez RG3EXKA1. But first, here's some Koa pr0n :yum:

(Thanks to JakeBoop for taking the awesome pics :hbang:)

DSC_0249_zps8abcb099.jpg

DSC_0239_zps0e7d4bff.jpg

DSC_0253_zpsdf8c5407.jpg

DSC_0257_zpsd0cd584f.jpg

DSC_0270_zpsbb1709c1.jpg

DSC_0274_zps450745ab.jpg

DSC_0277_zpsbaa2db0b.jpg

DSC_0285_zps254e6271.jpg

Alright, now for the review. For the short 8 hours I've had it, it seems like a very solid guitar & worth much more than the $219+shipping I payed for it. It's got a Koa Top, bound Basswood body, maple Wizard III neck with bound rosewood fretboard & sharktooth inlay, satin chrome hardware, & Ibanez V7 & V8 pickups.

When I first got it out of the box, I noticed the hardware was VERY tarnished & there's a lot of tiny pick scratches all over it, but I'm replacing all the hardware with gold and I can buff out the scratches easily. The pickups sound really good for stocks, so I'm not too much of a hurry to get the Titans for it just yet.

The neck is very comfortable, much like the one on my Iceman. The frets are in good condition but it needs a good setup. The fretboard looks like it was cleaned very recently so that was unexpected with a used guitar.
Out of everything, it's probably the best used I've ever bought. With a little time & money, I'll have this thing outplaying my Gibson SGJ :shred:.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
Made a random short clip of the sound for gits 'n shiggles :lol:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/spn_phoenix_92/powwwwwer[/SC]

dr_kotasz

Custom
Reaction score
Grat, man, a very cool looking guitar! :hbang:

I like this tarnished, scratchy looking of the harwares. A bit vintage-feel it looks, but i like it! :)

hamster

Reaction score
Great ! This guitar is beautiful.
The used look of the hardware fits perfectly with the guitar finish.
What a bargain !! Congratulations for this purchase I'm sure you have lots of fun playing this beauty.

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
The more I play this thing, the more I love it! Even though the stocks aren't at all that bad, I'm still planning on getting some Titans after the holiday spending hole fills back in my bank account. I'm planning on going for gold hardware for it, but can't decide if I want gold rings with black pups or black rings with gold covered pups. :scratch:

This+Gold rings
$_57.JPG

Or This+Black rings
$_57.JPG

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
woah, and those can be have for how much?, looks excellent man, HNGD :D

regarding the pickup swap, IMO black pickup, gold screws, black pickup ring. But try to add; gold bridge and gold knobs, that would look killer

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
woah, and those can be have for how much?, looks excellent man, HNGD :D

regarding the pickup swap, IMO black pickup, gold screws, black pickup ring. But try to add; gold bridge and gold knobs, that would look killer
Yeah it's gonna have a gold bridge, knobs, & tuners. Too bad no one makes gold knobs with Koa tops, that would be sexy :yum:

DredFul

Maple fretboard enthusiast
Reaction score
Happy NGD! Looks like a steal for 219$! :yum:

As for the pickup swap I vote for black pickups and gold rings. I think it would look really classy and sleek :agreed:

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
Happy NGD! Looks like a steal for 219$! :yum:

As for the pickup swap I vote for black pickups and gold rings. I think it would look really classy and sleek :agreed:
It's also $20 cheaper per pickup, so I'd be saving $40 that way. But the gold covers look pretty sick. Meh I don't even have the cash to order yet :lol:

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
Oh and for a question, I've never had gold hardware on a guitar before but I've heard the color can fade pretty quickly. Is there any way to keep that from happening or to at least slow the process?

ibanice

Reaction score
That covered Titan would look so amazing in that Ibanez! DO IT!!!!!

wiretap

Reaction score
Welp, as a dude who does not care for Ibanez in even the slightest, no denying that guitar looks fantastic for $219!

')