NGD: Ibanez RG721-CNF Premium (Natural finish goodness)

• Thread starter simonXsludge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not doing an NGD until I get some reasonable pics, but these are really lovely. There are some issues though, we'll see if they can be resolved (I too don't like the action, but it's already better than it was so we'll see)

EDIT: I've got the action pretty good now. The main adjustments came in the neck. Once I acclimated to the house temp (was in the heat for QUITE some time obviously) the neck had quite a bow to it. So far (fingers crossed) some simple adjustments have made it really playable. I still am not sold on "C" style neck , but it's a far cry from out of the box! :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Reaction score
Seems this is the newest hit by Ibanez. I gotta admit I love the natural look. Reminds me of a blackmachine

Heroin

I am wombat
Reaction score
that is actually so fucking nice, nicest ibanez I've ever seen besides the 1527M. hngd :hbang:

Metaloaf

Reaction score
This NEEDS to be released as a 7 damn it! everyone in the forum would probably get one though, I sure will.

Eclipse

Reaction score
Beautiful Ibanez. I know a guy who owns one. It's a gorgeous looking top that's for sure.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
Okk, I'm kinda considering buying this model, but the bridge looks sorta weird...
anyone of you guys has any feedback on the bridge? do you like it? no? and of course why :p

Fluxx

Reaction score
I picked up one of these on here, and immediately fell in love with the neck. I ended up puttin the neck on a Koa top RG3EXKA1 body I had kickin around here, which I love the tone of. Not sure if its different density basswood or what, but the crunch lab i put in there sings in the one with the koa top.

The stock body and bridge and electronics from my guitar will probably be put up for trade or sale here once I am deemed to be a legitimate trader in the community, but since I bought the guitar here I'd rather try and trade here down the road. Watch for the thread in the future to all interested parties :)

Back to the 721. The neck is phenominal. Best fret dress I've ever seen on an ibanez out of the box, and I own an RG1620, RG3120, and RG570, in addition to this one, and have had many others in the past. The pickups were nothing to write home about, I put the CL/LF set in the guitar within a half hour, and thats when it became a keeper.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I picked up one of these on here, and immediately fell in love with the neck. I ended up puttin the neck on a Koa top RG3EXKA1 body I had kickin around here, which I love the tone of. Not sure if its different density basswood or what, but the crunch lab i put in there sings in the one with the koa top.

The stock body and bridge and electronics from my guitar will probably be put up for trade or sale here once I am deemed to be a legitimate trader in the community, but since I bought the guitar here I'd rather try and trade here down the road. Watch for the thread in the future to all interested parties :)

Back to the 721. The neck is phenominal. Best fret dress I've ever seen on an ibanez out of the box, and I own an RG1620, RG3120, and RG570, in addition to this one, and have had many others in the past. The pickups were nothing to write home about, I put the CL/LF set in the guitar within a half hour, and thats when it became a keeper.

How were you able to change the pups?????????? On mine, the screws for the CAP pups were much larger than would fit dimarzio (which I'm assuming most other pups are the same as size wise) I'd have to fill the holes and I'm still waiting for my screws to arrive.

MikeSap

formerly mikeyENGL
Reaction score
I wante one of these so bad! I called the ibanez distributer for my area and he said they stopped producing these. Anyone know if that's true??

Fluxx

Reaction score
How were you able to change the pups?????????? On mine, the screws for the CAP pups were much larger than would fit dimarzio (which I'm assuming most other pups are the same as size wise) I'd have to fill the holes and I'm still waiting for my screws to arrive.

I had a set of CL/LF that had been previously drilled for a direct mount guitar. I used the stock screws that came on the original pickups. I also have a bag of pickup height screws for rings that are slightly thicker than standard ones and will actually thread onto the typical pickup that's been previously direct mounted. I forget what # the screws were, but I think I bought them from warmoth a couple years ago.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
BTW, worst ever tech response from a company:

"the guitar has larger holes for the pups, do you carry the screws that will work for standard sized pups?"

"drill the pup holes bigger"

:mad::mad:

Er, what if you want to put the pups on a different guitar??

Anyways, I really like this guitar but it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep it (I know, just order through Rich..........)

Fluxx

Reaction score
BTW, worst ever tech response from a company:

"the guitar has larger holes for the pups, do you carry the screws that will work for standard sized pups?"

"drill the pup holes bigger"

:mad::mad:

Er, what if you want to put the pups on a different guitar??

Anyways, I really like this guitar but it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep it (I know, just order through Rich..........)

I ran into this problem in the past with a Suhr that had direct mount pickups. What I ended up doing was scraping the paint off the tabs where the screw holes are, and putting a drop of solder on either side of the tab, then drilling a small hole to thread the screw into. Since solder is a pretty soft alloy, its basically "self tapping" and it seems to hold up fine, since pickup springs don't exert enough force to strip the hole. I know its a "non-ideal" fix, but its definitely on way to do it.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Forgive, I'm not quite following. You mean this AFTER you had larger holes in the pups?

Fluxx

Reaction score
Well they were pickups that naturally had larger holes because they came from the suhr factory direct mounted to the body, not mounted on pickup rings. I decided to mount them on rings after the fact, and the solder thing is what I did to make it work.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure.

That sounds easy enough, I just gotta figure out how to make the holes a tad bigger on the gravity storms then. I have a dremel. Not exactly sure what size to use (measure the screw??)

Uggg. I think I'll order the DM screws from Rich and use a wood filler :scratch:

I'm keeping the guitar. The neck is just too delish not to. I paid about 680 tax and shipping so I'm not out much. I can live with the stock pups til I figure it out.

Grack

Tr00 and Kvlt
Reaction score
Pretty much one of the only Prestige/Premium without a trem I would get, just because it reminds me of an XL or a blackmachine. Plus I'm a utter fanboy for natural finish.

Definitely made it up there on my list of guitars to get.

Garfish

Reaction score
Im really diggin' this guitar.

How is the neck on this beauty? I'm a Gibson / ESP guy, so I've never really played Ibanezes. Is it super skinny or ?

Latest posts

')