NGD: Ibanez RG752M-DY

• Thread starter ccc444
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ccc444

Reaction score
Heya! I've been a lurker for a while now and thought I'd finally contribute something (and show off my sweet guitar ;). It's more like new guitar month because I'm a lazy bastard and took forever to post.

I must say I don't have the amazing photography skills many of you seem to. But here we go:
2-shrunk.jpg

1-shrunk.jpeg

Story time
Years ago, when I was looking for my first "proper" 7-string with a tremolo, this was the one Ibanez had in production. I thought it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen but played one in a store and it felt great. I didn't have the money at the time and settled for an RG7620, somewhat relieved I didn't have to play a bright yellow abomination. God, the folks at Ibanez have terrible taste.

Fast forward 5 years and I'm in love with highlighter yellow guitars. Imagine a stranded fish on a beach gasping desperately for air and slowly dying, except the fish is me and the ocean is a desert yellow RG752.

Since the folks at Ibanez have terrible taste, they discontinued this masterpiece after just 2 years. Thankfully, one finally popped up for a reasonable price on Reverb and now it's mine :fever:

Is it good?
I mean, it's a used Prestige and it's neon fucking yellow. Need I say more?

In all seriousness, I can only compare it to my RG7620 and RG2027XVV. It's definitely my favorite of the 3 to the point where I don't touch them anymore. The most striking thing is the trem flutter, the other two give a sort of halfhearted attempt while the 752 flutters like crazy. Same string gauge, same number of springs in the back, all trem arms fit tight, the bridges are far enough from the cavity... I don't know, man.

It also has the lowest action of the three, but the others are 20 years older so with a proper fretjob I'm sure they'd get very close. Finally, it's by far the brightest and most aggressive sounding. I'm a troglodyte when it comes to pickups, but I think this has the stock ones, and the RG2027 has the Tone Zone / Air Norton combo and is much darker :scratch: . Clearly it's because the RG2027 is brown, while the RG752 is yellow, and yellow = brighter.

Audio
Here's a little clip ft. my shitty mixing skills:
https://jumpshare.com/s/8o7eoaTIbMWjltCm2wRi

In summary, I'm in love and I'm convinced my quest for the perfect guitar is over. I've achieved a state of zen so complete not even the GAS thread can tempt me. I suppose it helps that Ibanez doesn't make a prestige 7-string with the lo-pro anymore.

Now, one question - any chance the fretboard will wear with time? I've seen older Ibanez's where you can see which frets have been played most, and think it looks sweet. I'm guessing that's basically impossible with modern neck finishes, but I'd love to hear any of your guys' experiences.

Attachments

• 2-shrunk.jpg
    2-shrunk.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bmtf

Reaction score
How are the fret ends? I heard the maple board 7s didn't always have the prestige treatment. I love the neon yellow and the matching headstock I feel is a "fuck you" to the old 7620s etc. in a good way. Sucks that Ibanez discontinues guitars right when people are coming around to them, thankfully they're a legendary brand with lots of options!

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I mean, it's a used Prestige and it's neon fucking yellow. Need I say more?
Nah, we all get it. Welcome to the club and happy NUPD (new used Prestige day?)! I have always wondered why Desert Yellow wasn't "Dessert Yellow", like a neon banana split. I mean I'd still like Ibanez to revisit Vampire Kiss, Violet (Violent) Chameleon, and Road Flare Red too. That one is a good find. I approve.

ccc444

Reaction score
How are the fret ends? I heard the maple board 7s didn't always have the prestige treatment. I love the neon yellow and the matching headstock I feel is a "fuck you" to the old 7620s etc. in a good way. Sucks that Ibanez discontinues guitars right when people are coming around to them, thankfully they're a legendary brand with lots of options!
Interesting, I compared with the RG2027 and the fret ends look identical. I've never noticed anything while playing, can't complain.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
Excellent first post on these forums and welcome to SSO!!

She’s a beaut and I’m glad you found “the one”!

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
This is one of the most epic first posts I've ever seen, and I'm not even gonna try and pretend that I'm not a little jealous. Because that's a thing of beauty, man. Happy NGD :cheers:

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Love that yellow. If it was mine I'd be pretty tempted to put a black pickguard on it and go 7 string RG550.

ccc444

Reaction score
Aw, thanks :)

Love that yellow. If it was mine I'd be pretty tempted to put a black pickguard on it and go 7 string RG550.
Yeah, I thought about it too. But then again it'd reduce the Y E L L O W. You'd also end up with permanent screw holes in the guitar, no?

Congrats!!! I've got a 752 CMB and it's a real player, I'd love one of these with the maple board.
I was considering one too! Glad you're enjoying yours. There was one on Reverb around the same time I bought my 752. If only they made the CMB with a maple board... Oh well.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Aw, thanks :)

Yeah, I thought about it too. But then again it'd reduce the Y E L L O W. You'd also end up with permanent screw holes in the guitar, no?

I was considering one too! Glad you're enjoying yours. There was one on Reverb around the same time I bought my 752. If only they made the CMB with a maple board... Oh well.
probably the one I grabbed :

')