NGD! Ibanez RG8 (my first new guitar in 6 years! + test clip in thread)

• Thread starter C2Aye
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
So I got 8 string GAS on Saturday night and ordered a new guitar. It's only the budget model Ibanez but being my first new guitar in 6 years (thanks largely to my university budget/partying too hard for the past 5 of them) I'm really excited about it! Since it was an internet order it needed a bit of a truss rod adjustment and a lowering of the bridge saddles to get the action to where I wanted it to be but after that, it played really well. I'm quite impressed actually, given its price! The setup itself was really user friendly and only took me 10 minutes.

I was worried that the 27" scale neck would be an issue but I've not had any problems with it. The only issue is that the pickups are a little bit more noisy than what I'm used to so a pickup swap might be in order, although the stock pickups sound fine for what they are. Other than that, I'm absolutely delighted with my purchase. I'll have a clip up in the recording studio section soon :)

Without further ado, some pics for you fine fellows.

NGD1.jpg

NGD2.jpg

NGD3.jpg

NGD4.jpg

Me doing my best Yao Ming meme impersonation

NGD5.jpg

PS: Also my first NGD thread. I am so excite.

Edit: Test clip link https://soundcloud.com/c2aye/ngd-clip-23rd-july

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Congrats on your guitar man, it's awesome.

I got my RG8 two weeks ago and I'm absolutely in love with it... it's the black one, but I love the white one as well. I can't stop playing it, it just feels so good to play, the neck is wonderful. Have a lot of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hbang:

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Wow... I love this song already... awesome tone, awesome skills, sick riffs and it doesn't sound like anything I heard with an 8 before. So melodic, I really dig your skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hbang:

What did you use to record this?

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Wow... I love this song already... awesome tone, awesome skills, sick riffs and it doesn't sound like anything I heard with an 8 before. So melodic, I really dig your skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hbang:

What did you use to record this?

Thanks dude! If you've ever listened to any of my other music you'll know I'm very much one for melody over heavy/brutal stuff :D I'm basically using the same approach to the 8 string that I used with my 7 string.

I used Lepou Legion with a couple of Recabinet impulses with Guitar Rig running in front for noise gate, compression and a tubescreamer. Here's a screencap of my setup: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39302626/Signal Chain 2.jpg

Eclipse

Reaction score
Sweet! HNGD! Ibanez 8 strings are amazing! I love the feel of my friend's Rg2228a!

Nice pictures too!

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Sweet! HNGD! Ibanez 8 strings are amazing! I love the feel of my friend's Rg2228a!

Nice pictures too!

Thanks man! With my RG1527 and now with my RG8, I'm getting an inkling that a well set up Ibanez is very hard to beat in terms of playability :)

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
I wish you would experiment with the tuning, drop E sounds to normal :) to F or D# or DADGAD styled!

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
I wish you would experiment with the tuning, drop E sounds to normal :) to F or D# or DADGAD styled!

Yeah, I've never really experimented with tunings that much to be honest. I'm just too used to playing leads in standard. Another reason I got the 8 is that it doubles as a 7 in standard tuning as well!

Tommy

Terribly Unlucky
Reaction score
Stellar looking guitar. Been thinking about picking one of these up.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Stellar looking guitar. Been thinking about picking one of these up.

At the price it was, I couldn't resist. Like I said before, it plays really well and doesn't sound half bad either!

Also, here is a photo of how it fits in with the rest of my guitars :)

NGD6.jpg

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
So much win. White finish is awesome dude. Ultra cool!!

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
You made that low string fit into the clip nicely not too much, not too little. :yesway:

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
So much win. White finish is awesome dude. Ultra cool!!

I just had to have the white finish. I'm not metal enough for a black 8 string :lol:

You made that low string fit into the clip nicely not too much, not too little. :yesway:

Thanks man. I'm using the same approach that I do with my 7's where the extended range is an added bonus as opposed to the be all and end all. Also, I wanted to hear how rhythm parts sounded on higher strings as well as higher up on the neck. Lead was another thing I needed to test out as well!

kesher

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I made a quick clip with the guitar tuned to drop E.

https://soundcloud.com/c2aye/ngd-clip-23rd-july

Here's the thread in the recording studio section where I explain stuff http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/re...p-8-string-drop-e-happy-prog-metal-times.html
Thanks guys!

I made a quick clip with the guitar tuned to drop E.

https://soundcloud.com/c2aye/ngd-clip-23rd-july

Here's the thread in the recording studio section where I explain stuff http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/re...p-8-string-drop-e-happy-prog-metal-times.html

How long did it take you to write that?

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
Dude, I love the test clip!!! Whoa, the next song in your SoundCloud started playing, and I love that too! You've definitely got some mad playing/writing skills going on! Also, happy extremely late NGD!

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Your playing is absolutely sick, I love it!

Thanks man! :D

Dude, I love the test clip!!! Whoa, the next song in your SoundCloud started playing, and I love that too! You've definitely got some mad playing/writing skills going on! Also, happy extremely late NGD!

Cheers dude! Also, I have all my music for download in my sig so feel free to have a listen! No 8 string stuff yet but soon hopefully!

')