NGD: Ibanez RGA8

• Thread starter Gravy Train
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I picked up an RGA8 this past Tuesday and I love it (pickups are ass, but more on that later)!

This is my 5th 8 string. I know, it's crazy! This is also currently my only electric guitar. I previously had 2 Ibanez Iron Label 7 strings and they were nice guitars, but left me uninspired as of late.

With that said, I have been itching for an 8 string recently and the local Sam Ash had this guy used and discounted. It had been there for almost 2 years and I paid it no attention whenever I went there.

I thought I just couldn't jive with 8's anymore, but upon getting this, I don't know what I was thinking! This plays so much nicer than any of the 3 RG8's and the Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 8 I previously had.

The neck is a joy to play (continues to cement my love for Ibanez) and the body is insanely comfortable. I have also heard bad things on this forum about the fixed Edge iii 8, but I have had no problems whatsoever and neither did the tech that worked on it while it was at the store all those years. Not to mention, it is the smoothest and most comfortable bridge I have ever laid my hand on!

Now to the pickups, I can reconfirm what everyone else has said. They are indeed the ....tiest of the :poop:. But as I was buying the guitar, I also placed an order for a set of Seymour Duncan Retribution Dino Cazares sig pickups for it. I will post regarding those when the installation is all set and done. I do a lot of of fast picking and stutter-stop riffs, and from what I have heard, these will fit the bill nicely. Plus they won't leave any nasty gaps on the side of the pickups (not a fan of passives in active mount mounts).

I've played more these past few days with this guitar than I have in the past couple of weeks with the 2 S Iron Labels. It feels good to be back with an 8, I am loving it and it feels like coming back home.

Any good 8 string bands I can learn songs from? The ones I currently know of are: Carnifex, Butcher Babies, Monuments, After The Burial, Ektomorf, Scar The Martyr and Deftones. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If you have any questions, ask away.

Enough of the words, here is a potato picture!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
HNGD!

I believe that the RGA8 and RG8 neck profiles are rather different, and so you may be the type that loves the RGA8 neck. Glad to see you back to the 8's. Does yours have the scoops on the back of the horns or not?

Thanks, it feels good to be back. It doesn't have scoops on the back of the horns, but it does have them on the front of the horns. It was made in 2012 if that helps.. Why do you ask?

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Derp, I meant the front of the horns, my bad :lol:

Somebody with more knowledge than I can feel free to school me, but I was told that the ones with the scooped horns were the ones in which the bridge tear-our problem were fixed, or at least reduced. And I didn't think the RGA 8 was produced in 2012? The Ibby Wiki says it was discontinued in 2011?

The serial number starts with the number 12, so that means it's a 2012, right? I'm not sure how to date an Ibby :lol:

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
The serial number starts with the number 12, so that means it's a 2012, right? I'm not sure how to date an Ibby :lol:

That or its an '11... Post a pic of the entire SN...

There is a ton of info on how to read the SN's on the interwebs... could be either! Depends on how may digits there are...

BTW... HNGD!!

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That or its an '11... Post a pic of the entire SN...

There is a ton of info on how to read the SN's on the interwebs... could be either! Depends on how may digits there are...

BTW... HNGD!!

Thank you for the kind words! Here is the SN:

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words! Here is the SN:

Welp... Per the SN... Your specific RGA8 was the 5,069th guitar off the line... Made May of 2012.

iIRC... The guitar numbers dont differentiate between models... So the 5,068th guitar couldve been a 6 string RG... Or any other model... FWIW.

Regardless... LOVE LOVE LOVE my RG8... Cant go wrong with 8's! Hopefully you never have to trade this one in :lol:

Aaaaand... After The Burial... Study thier material HARD!!! EPIC FVCKIN BAND!!

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Welp... Per the SN... Your specific RGA8 was the 5,069th guitar off the line... Made May of 2012.

iIRC... The guitar numbers dont differentiate between models... So the 5,068th guitar couldve been a 6 string RG... Or any other model... FWIW.

Regardless... LOVE LOVE LOVE my RG8... Cant go wrong with 8's! Hopefully you never have to trade this one in :lol:

Aaaaand... After The Burial... Study thier material HARD!!! EPIC FVCKIN BAND!!

Thank you very much! I thought it was a 2012, but I just wanted to make sure. Much appreciated!

I don't think I'll trade this one, especially after I get the new pickups in it!

I'll look into some of their material, I really like how damn tight those guitars sound. :metal:

cip 123

Reaction score
HNGD always tempted by these.

Also Seymour duncan does all their 8's in active mounts now no matter if they're passive. Didn't know if you knew reading your OP, just if you wanted more options :)

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
HNGD always tempted by these.

Also Seymour duncan does all their 8's in active mounts now no matter if they're passive. Didn't know if you knew reading your OP, just if you wanted more options :)

Oh wow, I didn't know that, thank you for letting me know! I'll have to look into those in the future. Cheers dude!

mike1033

Reaction score
Congrats man! Our rga8's are eleven guitars apart in the production sequence it looks like, totally random but cool!

Attachments

• IMG_20140911_162239_760.jpg
    IMG_20140911_162239_760.jpg
    977.1 KB · Views: 27

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats man! Our rga8's are eleven guitars apart in the production sequence it looks like, totally random but cool!

Whoa that is totally awesome! How do you have yours set up? Any upgrades?

Mine is currently at the shop getting new strings, a setup and 2 new Seymour Duncan Retribution pickups. I should have it on Monday!!!

Kittenflower

Reaction score
I have the white body/black headstock one. After switching out the pups to Nazgul/Sentient and a custom string set from Stringjoy, it's my favourite fingerstyle jazz guitar :D

mike1033

Reaction score
Whoa that is totally awesome! How do you have yours set up? Any upgrades?

Mine is currently at the shop getting new strings, a setup and 2 new Seymour Duncan Retribution pickups. I should have it on Monday!!!

Nice! The only major mod I've done to mine as of yet is stripping, thinning and slight reshaping of the neck, mainly on the shoulders, slightly thinner on my bass side. Other than that, just a bit of polishing on the frets and paint and some inlay stickers lol. I'm not sure what I want to do for pickups yet, anything would be an improvement though, the stockers really do suck as hard as everyone says lol.

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice! The only major mod I've done to mine as of yet is stripping, thinning and slight reshaping of the neck, mainly on the shoulders, slightly thinner on my bass side. Other than that, just a bit of polishing on the frets and paint and some inlay stickers lol. I'm not sure what I want to do for pickups yet, anything would be an improvement though, the stockers really do suck as hard as everyone says lol.

Anything besides what is stock in the pickups department is a massive improvement :lol: I've been thinking about getting it refinished (black is total metalz, but I quite enjoy diversity). I can't figure out what color I want to do!

Latest posts

')