NGD - Ibanez RGD2127Z

• Thread starter metalstrike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalstrike

I love signature guitars!
Reaction score
I actually got this guitar four months ago and just now have time to do a proper NGD :lol:

Well this is quite a popular guitar so I think most of you already know all about it. I love it. The body shape is probably my favorite thing about it. That and the cutaway:bowdown: Very comfortable 26.5 inch scale neck with fantastic fretwork.

The big change in it is the pickups which are the great Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient combo. I love them in this guitar! I was thinking the Nazgul might be a little too bright in this guitar but it's not. Powerful, full sounding rhythms in A standard. It does lead just fine as well. Although I prefer the super Sentient for my solos. Big upgrade over stock in my eyes!

Funny side story on the pickup installation. They were the first I've ever done! It was quite nerve wracking to preform surgery on a brand new guitar when I just learned how to solder the week prior! I was proud not having destroyed my new guitar. The next time I restring this guitar I'll have to fix the Sentient as it is slightly tilted forward because I didn't level it properly lol.

And now some (not so great) photos!

TPUeSWj.jpg

plgJEMj.jpg

MqGvacl.jpg

Xa5al2l.jpg

Zz4XZHh.jpg

mPE3dH3.jpg
o4jJs38.jpg

f0btCKg.jpg

cbGtHbw.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tm20

Reaction score
beautiful guitar, the more you play it the more you'll come to love it. do you know if it's ok to use the tremolo with the spring locking thing still attached?

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I got my RGD Prestige last year. It is definitely a great guitar to play. I spent about two years looking for a good 7 string and decided on the RGD. That is a decision that I do not regret!

yuvioh

The G.A.S. is real..
Reaction score
congrats! happy NGD! and welcome to the club. I just love my rgd2127z to death since this is my 1st 7 and 1st prestige I ever owned. :yesway:

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
I just took the plunge myself... mine should arrive Thursday.

Difference is, this will be the third time I've bought one. In the past I've sold them because I wanted to experiment with different guitars (like an eight string), but now I have the means to hang on to it.

My only real gripe is that for the price, I'd like to see nicer finishes than flat black with a rosewood fretboard, and maybe some branded pickups like yours has (although to be honest, the stock ones are actually pretty damn good). I damn near bought a Schecter KM-7, which clocks in at $500 less (accounting for a $100 hard case), has the Duncan Nazgul/Sentient combo, and looks quite a bit nicer with a flame top, binding, and an ebony board.

But even though it's kind of plain, I keep coming back to the RGD because it's such a brilliantly designed and well-made guitar, and a bit of a novelty now too because I for one absolutely love the Edge Zero w/ ZPS3 and to my knowledge all the 2014 Ibanezes in the US went back to the inferior Lo-Pro because of some patent dispute or some nonsense.

Also, looks like you got a nice dark rosewood board, which is definitely a plus. Congrats!

metalstrike

Reaction score
beautiful guitar, the more you play it the more you'll come to love it. do you know if it's ok to use the tremolo with the spring locking thing still attached?

Thanks! Yeah it's fine. I use the Edge Zero with the stop bar still attached. It just doesn't fully float with it on. Divebombs are cool, pull ups are ok, fluttering is impossibru!:lol:

metalstrike

Reaction score
I just took the plunge myself... mine should arrive Thursday.

Difference is, this will be the third time I've bought one. In the past I've sold them because I wanted to experiment with different guitars (like an eight string), but now I have the means to hang on to it.

My only real gripe is that for the price, I'd like to see nicer finishes than flat black with a rosewood fretboard, and maybe some branded pickups like yours has (although to be honest, the stock ones are actually pretty damn good). I damn near bought a Schecter KM-7, which clocks in at $500 less (accounting for a $100 hard case), has the Duncan Nazgul/Sentient combo, and looks quite a bit nicer with a flame top, binding, and an ebony board.

But even though it's kind of plain, I keep coming back to the RGD because it's such a brilliantly designed and well-made guitar, and a bit of a novelty now too because I for one absolutely love the Edge Zero w/ ZPS3 and to my knowledge all the 2014 Ibanezes in the US went back to the inferior Lo-Pro because of some patent dispute or some nonsense.

Also, looks like you got a nice dark rosewood board, which is definitely a plus. Congrats!

Very nice! Looking forward to your NGD. :hbang:This is actually my second time buying this guitar! The first one I got a year ago had some issues with the frets and also wasn't a huge fan of matte black so I returned it. But this one is grand. It never truly left my thoughts after I took it back:lol:. I actually like the Edge Zero quite a bit as well and feel the hate it gets is undeserved. Thanks!

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
Congrats, these are one of my favorite guitars. Great job on the soldering, the only way to learn is to jump in head first like you did! Happy NGD!

Andrenighthound

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of modding mine.. I having a death bucker and alumitone 7 with splittable pups that work very good..The allumitones are so much bigger than the cavities in the rg2127fx so my uncle has do route it out.

tupesaku

Reaction score
Congrats on a nice guitar...just yesterday went to try one of those in a local shop, it was really good!

')