NGD: Ibanez RGIR27FE (Iron Label RG7, Fixed)

• Thread starter Roran109
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Roran109

Reaction score
Finally got my first seven string!

Before now I've just been a lurker on the forums, just reading, hardly ever posting. I wanna jump into the fray now.

First off let me tell you about my newest guitar. He (yes he) is one of the new Ibanez Iron Label RGs, fixed bridge (cuz I hate trems, don't get me started why).

Sounds perfect. I'm a huge fan of active pickups. I love all types, makes, and models in general, even factory stock ones (except Dean and BC Rich). But EMGs are my favorite. The 707s have clear chord definition but hairy! Love them. I hardly ever play clean, so I don't care much for passives. (Whenever I used passives for cleans in the past, I found myself adding a little gain on the amp. So why bother getting them then? Plus actives have a unique attack most passives dont have or can imitate)

The guitar itself is freaking epic. This is my first double cut guitar, so I gotta get used to how it sits against my body, cuz its huge! Im used to single cut LP style bodies. The neck is thinner than most of my Ibanez ARZs despite being a seven. Believe it or not, I'm not a fan of thin "fast" necks because I'm primarily a rhythm player, on a neck too thin, I tend to go too fast and "trip" over myself. The thin neck however works great here to compensate for the large width.

That said, I'm still a newb to sevens. I played my friends' sevens before, even borrowed one for a week, but this is the first one I've had full control over. Any advice on set up and string gauges? Whats are the best gauges for Drop A and Drop Ab on a 25.5" scale? Ive also never had a guitar with this kind of bridge, where you can adjust the height of each saddle individually. I got the action set up to stupendously low (with Ibanez is famous for, ftw) from strings 1 to 6, but what's considered "normal" action for the low B? Advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

(P.S. I didn't bother with pics cuz there are tons of these guys on the internet. I'll post pics, only if you guys request them)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Roran109

Reaction score
Lol, fine.

Attachments

• 20130307_195845.jpg
    20130307_195845.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 683
  • 20130307_195902.jpg
    20130307_195902.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 566

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Any advice on set up and string gauges? Whats are the best gauges for Drop A and Drop Ab on a 25.5" scale? Ive also never had a guitar with this kind of bridge, where you can adjust the height of each saddle individually. I got the action set up to stupendously low (with Ibanez is famous for, ftw) from strings 1 to 6, but what's considered "normal" action for the low B? Advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

String height should be whatever feels good to you. There aren't any hard and set rules here :) as long as it doesn't buzz/sounds good to you, you're good to go. Next time you have a few minutes to kill, mess around with the saddle height and see what you like.

For strings, it totally depends on what you like, but getting a balance can make things feel a lot better. Something like a 10-46 + 62/64 or 11-49 + 64/68 should feel great for drop A/Ab if you like medium/med-high tension.

Eimanatox

Reaction score
Any advice on set up and string gauges? Whats are the best gauges for Drop A and Drop Ab on a 25.5" scale? Ive also never had a guitar with this kind of bridge, where you can adjust the height of each saddle individually. I got the action set up to stupendously low (with Ibanez is famous for, ftw) from strings 1 to 6, but what's considered "normal" action for the low B? Advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

I, personally, like around 2-3/64" on the low end. (@ 12th fret, while held at 1st and 17th frets) It's about as low as I can get it in Ab without much buzz.

HNGD!!!

Musiscience

Reaction score
That said, I'm still a newb to sevens. I played my friends' sevens before, even borrowed one for a week, but this is the first one I've had full control over. Any advice on set up and string gauges? Whats are the best gauges for Drop A and Drop Ab on a 25.5" scale? Ive also never had a guitar with this kind of bridge, where you can adjust the height of each saddle individually. I got the action set up to stupendously low (with Ibanez is famous for, ftw) from strings 1 to 6, but what's considered "normal" action for the low B? Advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

(P.S. I didn't bother with pics cuz there are tons of these guys on the internet. I'll post pics, only if you guys request them)

Happy NGD, that is one hot guitar!

Like somebody else said, gauge and string action are a matter of taste. It must be said that the smaller the scale, the bigger the strings if you want to tune the instrument very low without buzzing, too little tension or «unclear» notes. But remember that you have to adjust the neck bow depending on the string height. The lower the strings, the bigger the bow. Extremely low action usually require 0.3 mm of bow (1.8 to 2 mm string height). You can put 2.5 mm bow if you raise the action a bit and so on. The key is really to try a lot of strings and setups and see what fit you the best.

Now shred that guitar to oblivion :shred:

:pickle:

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
If you're interested in string gauges and balancing tensions you should check out one of the string tension calculators a few of the members have made. The one stateless made was particularly good but you need Microsoft Excel to use it. It only uses D'Addario string mass though. So if you use it you need to get their string you pick. If you don't want to download it or don't have excel pm me and I'll do the calcs for you. :) Here's the link.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...on-calculator-7s-8s-does-fan-fretted-too.html

7-request

Reaction score
i just bought this guitar as a backup for my 1527, end up using it more than my 1527.

707 got way to much gain, i cant even record direct to my scarlett 2i2 without pulling the volume pot down to 8 or 7. at 10 it clips like hell..

did OP notice the pickup was wired wrongly? i notice that when i didnt touch the string, it make hum noises.. unlike on my cort m600.
in rgir27fe, the bridge was connected to the back of vol pot. i removed it, then it made soo much noises,.. i reconnected it,

i myself did wire emg 81-60 on my cort m600, Dmarzio evo-7 / SD- Sh6-7 on my 1527. and successfully working like a charm...

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
HNGD! I have been wanting to check out these iron labels.. particularly the S model. They both look sexy though.

Roran109

Reaction score
did OP notice the pickup was wired wrongly?

Yeah, dude, a few days after I got it, I popped the back open and saw that the 707s were solder wired. I was expecting the EMG solderless wiring. My intention from the get go was to swap out the 707s for a white 81-7 and 85-7, but I guess it won't be as easy now... I have no experience swapping pickups. Gonna have to take it to a proper guitar tech.

And yeah, the 707 bridge is super gainy, even for my tastes. While the low end is super clear, it's also a bit fizzy. Idk if its the wiring or just tone of the pickup.

Roran109

Reaction score
The frets on mine are great. Perfect. Too perfect, perhaps done by a machine? Idk. They're huge, I'll tell you that. This is my first guitar with extra jumbo frets, I can tell my fingers never touch the fret board because I haven't had to clean it at all since I got it, like 2 months ago.

SPEAKING OF CLEANINGvvvvvv

This is my first "shreddy" guitar, I've never had an unfinished bolt-on maple neck before. Any advice on cleaning it? I have the Dunlop 65 cleaning kit, the one with the three bottles, anything in there good for that?

Attachments

• 20130428_113532.jpg
    20130428_113532.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 174

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
You can't post a NDG without posting pics! That should be against the rules. We don't give a fuck if they all look the same, they one you have is special because it's yours and it deserves pictures :(

Alex_IBZ

Reaction score
This is my first "shreddy" guitar, I've never had an unfinished bolt-on maple neck before. Any advice on cleaning it? I have the Dunlop 65 cleaning kit, the one with the three bottles, anything in there good for that?

It's not an unfinished neck. There is actually a thin coat of (matt) clear lacquer.

')