NGD: Ibby RG8 (And the reason I'm done with Guitar Center)

ZigglesShredsSevens

Reaction score
So overall as an instrument, the RG8 is what I expected. Stock strings and pickups are nothing to write home about, which I already knew. The pots feel pretty cheap, and the tuners aren't exactly the best either. But they work, and that's all I really care about for now. I was worried that it might be neck heavy, but so far it seems well balanced. So basically: great construction, shitty hardware.

That being said, I was told that the guitar (which had to be shipped to my local GC because they didn't have one in black) was BRAND NEW. Keeping that in mind, I was still expecting there to be at least a scratch or something.

It looks as though the guitar was smacked around in the wall hanger or something (pics will come soon), so there are dents from the first fret down almost past the nut. This marks the 2nd BRAND NEW guitar I've gotten from Guitar Center that has been damaged in some way. I'm contemplating taking it back, but the fact that it doesn't directly affect playability is causing me to second guess that idea.

All in all, great starter 8 string, and I can't wait to get it (or its replacement) properly set up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZigglesShredsSevens

Reaction score
I definitely might. I'm really sick of having to return shit, though. With my luck the next one will have something completely different wrong with it. Gonna start ordering shit from Sweetwater or Musicians Friend.

neurosis

Reaction score
I second that. Unless it has real good mojo you have to return it. If you don't you'll get neurotic about it and feel uneasy with it in the long run. I know I would.

Also, GC likes to swing this kind of stuff. They are a big corporation and not all stores hold themselves to the same standard. if you push them that will contribute to making the local business better as this incidence will be recorded (if they are honest it will).

I generally say try your gear and buy on the spot whenever possible. If you can't then look into options that at least will be friendly on the phone. I have bought three Gibsons at GC over the years but I would never order online from them. All these guitars were picked by me out of at least three comparable or identical models each time. Some were poorly set up, some were dented like yours... whatever. Thing is these shops are big enough to attract a lot of different characters and the gear, especially the cheaper stuff gets played a lot.

neurosis

Reaction score
I definitely might. I'm really sick of having to return shit, though. With my luck the next one will have something completely different wrong with it. Gonna start ordering shit from Sweetwater or Musicians Friend.

Sweetwater have been really nice to me. So has been zZounds.

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with a shipped item. I ordered a used guitar from a NY store to be shipped to my Detroit store. Over the phone NY told me it was like new and barely a mark on it. I was there when the guitar arrived and when the Detroit guys opened the box, even they were shocked at it. They wouldn't even give it to me. They said they'll take care of it and couldn't believe the NY store would describe the guitar in such good form when it was obviously well worn.

I guess my scenario is a bit different in that 1 gc tried to sell me crap, but my local gc intercepted said crap and helped me out.

So in my eyes, if the guitar is not what you were told it should be or up to the standards you think you paid for, take it back. If you order a new one, have them open it with you so there's no dispute at the quality when it arrives.

GreatWhiteYeti

Reaction score
Return. Never had a guitar with that issue from Sweetwater.

ZigglesShredsSevens

Reaction score
I guess my scenario is a bit different in that 1 gc tried to sell me crap, but my local gc intercepted said crap and helped me out.

The thing is, the store they shipped the guitar from is like 30 minutes/an hour from the store I picked it up at. Same state, different city. That's what made me more angry than anything.

*Edit

Ordered from Canton GC, I think they sent it from the Southfield store. Could be wrong.

Phantom

Reaction score
I agree with everyone else and say return it. The last guitar I got from GC, I unboxed it, meticulusly checked it, and played it. It was such a huge mess but you can never be to careful with them. Truth be told, I know you can't exactly blame the dude at GC, its not like he got it and kicked it around, but it still is frustrating when you get what you've been waiting for and its fubar. Sweetwater is awesome with outstanding customer service.

ZigglesShredsSevens

Reaction score
I agree with everyone else and say return it. The last guitar I got from GC, I unboxed it, meticulusly checked it, and played it. It was such a huge mess but you can never be to careful with them. Truth be told, I know you can't exactly blame the dude at GC, its not like he got it and kicked it around, but it still is frustrating when you get what you've been waiting for and its fubar. Sweetwater is awesome with outstanding customer service.

I absolutely agree with you, man. The service itself was really smooth and the dude was really nice and genuinely seemed like he enjoyed his job. I feel the blame really falls on the other store and them sending me a flawed instrument.

Phantom

Reaction score
Agreed. If all they had was a floor model, it sounds like thats what it was, they should've said something.

ZigglesShredsSevens

Reaction score
jNn9yTY.jpg

n0hMUF9.jpg

Hopefully these work. I apologize about the second image, they're not as deep as the top ones.

Grief

Reaction score
That damage would bother me but of course it is up to you whether you wish to take it back.

It's a pretty common guitar so there should be no issue in sourcing a replacement.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score

Musician's Friend is decent, Sweetwater is perfection. I've dealt extensively with both companies and Sweetwater will always make sure you're happy. Customer service is unmatched - they even reach out to you. Day after my RG8 came in my sales engineer actually called me to see how I liked it. For the record, it plays phenomenally and I've said several times on this forum how incredible it is, even compared to several RG2228's I've played. The other day I ordered ProTools and an iLok and he called me just to let me know that the package comes with an iLok, saved me $60 for the iLok and having to ship it back after seeing the first iLok, haha. It's great, I always deal with the exact same person who's been assigned to my account and even when he's been away or had the day off I still get replies from someone filling in, and the people who filled in for him have always been just as courteous, professional and helpful.

Time you upgraded to a professional store! Guitar Center will always be there when you need a $200 BC Rich. :lol: (Just kidding)

Latest posts

')