NGD: If I named my guitars, I'd call it The Frost Giant

• Thread starter Ben.Last
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
For the longest time, I've wanted an Iceman. I'm lefty (as you'll soon see, if you didn't know already), so there's pretty much zero options out there for me to get one. So, I went without, slumming it in the land of superstrats and such. Then I started playing 8s. Ohhhh boy, does that every narrow down the selection even more. Then I started paying more and more attention to custom shop possibilities, but, in the US, there's not a whole lot of affordable options that will build you exactly what you want.

Sometime around the end of last year, I head about Acacia Guitars. They're located in San Diego, and the builds that I'd seen on here looked awesome. So, I got in touch with Scott from Acacia to ask if he could build me, not only a lefty Iceman, but a lefty Iceman 8. Well, it just so happens, Scott IS that awesome.

8ish weeks later (and for a killer price), I have my guitar. I'm going to have my girlfriend take some actual professional looking pictures (with an actual camera, rather than the cell phone I'm using now) of the thing next time she's over, but, since I don't want to leave you guys hanging any longer. Here's it is:

7704d8e9.jpg

e1311870.jpg

2c9dbcb5.jpg

206ad54e.jpg

ce6cdca7.jpg

Mahogany body
Maple neck
Ebony FB
BKP Warpig
Hipshot bridge and tuners
Volume and tone knobs
I specifically wanted a classic look to it, hence the black with white binding.

It plays great. I need a lot more time dialing in new tones with it; it's vastly different, tonally, from the 8s I've been playing. But, so far, I'm loving it and I'd absolutely do a build with Acacia again. Scott was really good about staying in touch the whole time and really taking my input at every turn. Even when there was a hiccup or 2 with Hipshot and BKP, he took care of it, and, as I wrote, still got me the guitar in 8 weeks.

The only problem now is that I'm way too shitty of a player to do the guitar justice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
Very nice. Congratulations. I love the single pickup config.

I'm a lefty that happen to start out playing right handed.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
My Iceman 8 gas is devastating. HNGD that thing looks bad ass to the tenth power. I also really dig how sleek their logo is.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
hell yes, its finally in your hands! it looks amazing and i cant wait to see the pro shots of it! i think you told me before but whats the scale length? 27" or 27.5"?

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Agh. Forgot to put that in the specs. Yeah, 27" standard tuning.

I'd also like to point out, on the review side of things, this is the first 8 I've played that has zero fret buzz.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Also, it's been a while since I've had a dark, gloss finish guitar. It's so shiny and pretty... what the fuck was I thinking??? Fucking fingerprints EVERYWHEEEERE!!!!

LtdRay

Reaction score
My favorite shape for guitar and i love single humbucker configuration

CAPTAIN SARG

Reaction score
awesome guitar i have a few questions about the body size compared to the normal 6 string iceman. did you have the body made wider in proportion to the seven string neck and about the horn did you have that made longer because with the meshugahh iceman 8's i feel that the horn is too small. I plan on having my own iceman 7 built by ran

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
Holy mother of toilet seat, that came out great! Congrats!

Strangely, the headstock actually works with the flow of the Iceman body. It's clear that Scott definitely put a lot of thought into this build.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
awesome guitar i have a few questions about the body size compared to the normal 6 string iceman. did you have the body made wider in proportion to the seven string neck and about the horn did you have that made longer because with the meshugahh iceman 8's i feel that the horn is too small. I plan on having my own iceman 7 built by ran

Scott did come up with the template from scratch, and he did change the proportions a bit. I don't know exactly what he rejiggered, though, but the lower horn is almost certainly one of the things that he did.

Took me a minute to realize why you said it'd be called the Frost Giant. :lol: Congrats man.

It just popped into my head and made total sense. Too bad I don't name my instruments.

I now realize how awesome this would look in WHITE, with white bobbins and black poles. :wag:

If and when I have him build me a second one, white with black binding is definitely one of the color options I have in mind.

')