NGD - Intrepid Dual 828 Charcoal

• Thread starter krsp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

krsp

Reaction score
I was expecting the photo on the Rondo website to be touched up since, after all, that IS marketing. The guitar's finish isn't as dark or have as much contrast as the website picture, but I still like it a lot, especially after having nothing but shiny guitars for so long!

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

The fretboard says it is SUPPOSED to be ebony,but it is pretty damn light. On the other hand, the pores in the wood are really tight - so |I dunno. It plays very nicely, so I don't really care that much anyway.

The pickups sound really good, especially the neck pickup. I was half expecting them to sound like ass (they ARE stock....they usually suck balls), but these ones are good and most likely keepers.

The one thing I want to do is replace the tuning keys for locking ones. This is where advice from you guys comes in...which ones are basically drop in replacements and where is the best place to get them? I have only seen 6 packs available.

Also, it isn't a problem now, but every guitar seems to have an issue with adjusting the truss at some point... this one has two and I have never dealt with that before. Any special attention needed for those?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can buy single tuners from Warmoth (Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Custom bass and guitar bodies, necks, pickups, pickguards and hardware) amongst other places.

Normally people would say take your guitar to a tech for trussrod adjustments, but I have yet to find a local tech who's even seen an 8 string, let alone one who I'd trust with mine :lol:

Honestly, I'd say if the rods seem to be pretty even right now, just make sure you adjust them the same amount if you ever need to tweak things, and you should be fine.

Also, congrats :yesway: That finish looks way better than it seems on Rondo's website.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ebony isn't naturally jet black (despite what many makers want you to think [isn't dye wonderful?:lol:]) so I wouldn't worry about it. Though, that grain does look a lot like that of rosewood. Then again, it just may be dry. If you get a chance, run some Lemon Oil on the board, it'll tighten the grain up.

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been eying this guitar for quite some time now. Glad to see some actual pictures of it. Hopefully soon I can jump on the 8 straaaangz train and pick up an intrepid :D

Congrats on the new guitar!

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
As has been said, ebony is very very rarely as dark as what we "want" it to be without having been dyed.

As for locking tuners, I have Schallers on my Intrepid and they were a perfect fit without any modification. I got mine from Warmoth. Just so you know though, the string holes are a bit smaller so you may have to unwind 2 strings instead of just one depending on what gauges you use. Although, with locking tuners, unwinding 2 is easier than unwinding 1 with normal tuners due to the fact that you can cut the string much closer to the tuner.

Haunted

Dedicated Headbanger
Reaction score
SWEET GUITAR!! I would have bought it myself if it was available at the time I got my septor

sessionswan

ffffffffftt
Reaction score
Dude, congrats as it's a bad ass guitar. I just snagged a B stock of this very same guitar that's due to arrive tomorrow, reading this just made me want it even more. Good stuff man, enjoy!

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Im pretty confident that the board on that guitar is rosewood. The grain is pretty open and that brown color is too uniform IMO. It would be streakier if it was ebony.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Gorgeous guitar. The charcoal over ash with ebony or rosewood looks killer. And that fretboard is definitely rosewood. If you paid for ebony, you should get some money back from Kurt.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
I was expecting the photo on the Rondo website to be touched up since, after all, that IS marketing. The guitar's finish isn't as dark or have as much contrast as the website picture, but I still like it a lot, especially after having nothing but shiny guitars for so long!

The fretboard says it is SUPPOSED to be ebony,but it is pretty damn light. On the other hand, the pores in the wood are really tight - so |I dunno. It plays very nicely, so I don't really care that much anyway.

The pickups sound really good, especially the neck pickup. I was half expecting them to sound like ass (they ARE stock....they usually suck balls), but these ones are good and most likely keepers.

The one thing I want to do is replace the tuning keys for locking ones. This is where advice from you guys comes in...which ones are basically drop in replacements and where is the best place to get them? I have only seen 6 packs available.

Also, it isn't a problem now, but every guitar seems to have an issue with adjusting the truss at some point... this one has two and I have never dealt with that before. Any special attention needed for those?

that IS rosewood, BTW. if you REALLY didn't want rosewood, send it back to kurt. If you can deal, just dye it black.

')