NGD: Is it mean? Is it green? Oh yes it is - Ibanez RGR5220M !

MikeyLHolm

Lightning Mike
Reaction score
After getting back to a Floyd Rose guitar last year I instantly started loving the good things about it and not really hating the things which made me move away to hard tails previously. Now year later I "had" to get a 2nd guitar with Floyd so I can have a back up one. Another main reason was to reward myself for the upcoming 1st full length album I'm playing on which has been a big dream of mine since forever. Never too late as I'm somewhere past mid-30s. First new guitar I've bought since 2000...

Maple neck, reverse head stock, cool graphics and all that Jazz. What's not to love?? Crappy pics don't really do justice, so excuse me - lights suck at the flat and winter ain't helping either. This guitar is heavy af and really sustains like a motherfucker. My basswood RG3770DX weighs 3.3kg and 2014 Les Paul Std with weight relief is 3.9kg - this tops them at 4kg sharp. PUPs I'm not sure about yet - probably will switch to some more vintage ones. Tone is removed and volume put on that place. I'm really glad Ibanez has all these funky colors available again after the sea of black guitars.

Specs: https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/rgr5220m_00_01.html

IMG_20190211_193038.jpg
open

IMG_20190211_191827.jpg

IMG_20190211_193203.jpg

IMG_20190211_192733.jpg

IMG_20190211_193102.jpg

Twins.png

Above both my prestiges: RGR5220M & RG3770DX-LB

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I love this shade of green that Ibanez does. Really one of their sexiest offerings in the current catalog. Happy NGD!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eightsixboy

あなたのお母さんを犯さ
Reaction score
Dude congrats, these are so awesome.

Hows the fret work? How are you finding the satin finish?

I'm tempted by these if the fretwork and overall QC is 10/10.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
The natural sides with the green finish reminds me of princess cake. :lol:

Nevermind, happy NGD. Out of all the 2019 models this one was pretty much the only one I could see myself getting.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
HNGD! Those BKP Brute Force pickups are actually solid. Tried one of these out today. Prestige plus SS frets, new level of amazing!

MikeyLHolm

Lightning Mike
Reaction score
Dude congrats, these are so awesome.

Hows the fret work? How are you finding the satin finish?

I'm tempted by these if the fretwork and overall QC is 10/10.

The fret ends aren't 10/10 but otherwise I don't see problems. Its quite cheap fix to make luckily and seems to be quite usual in Ibanez maple boards. I'm not a pro at these things but frets haven't felt bad so far.

Satin finishes I LOVE. Can't really play with a painted or nitroish necks as my hands don't move freely enough on those.

Nevermind, happy NGD. Out of all the 2019 models this one was pretty much the only one I could see myself getting.

Thanks! This and the blue one are the ones to watch out imo. 5120 just has all the Fishman things so changing to passives is a bigger task.

That's one shreddy watermelon. Nice 770 too. HNGD!

Actually saw guitar strap made of car seat belt that was painted as watermelon last Saturday. Almost pulled the trigger.

3770 looks SO MUCH better IRL. Looks like a silly toy in this lighting. Really it looks like an awesome toy you can't wait to play with.

HNGD! Those BKP Brute Force pickups are actually solid. Tried one of these out today. Prestige plus SS frets, new level of amazing!

Yeah i like the idea of SS frets since I don't play too many different guitars the g-string seems to wear out surprisingly fast.

Cleans are fine enough for me in these but I haven't played properly yet with my rig. So will see how modern the distorted sounds really are and how is the mids and low end. I want nasty mids and very little low end.

Rikardo

Reaction score
HNGD! Started to think from the removed tonepot that I have already seen this :D

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
So going from Vyn and MikeLHolm's posts of real life 2019 Ibanezes, do other markets get the new line ups before the US? Seems like March/April is the posted Expected date here in the States.

MikeyLHolm

Lightning Mike
Reaction score
So going from Vyn and MikeLHolm's posts of real life 2019 Ibanezes, do other markets get the new line ups before the US? Seems like March/April is the posted Expected date here in the States.

Seems like Finland got a very few new ones for now at least. Like 1-2 per higher end model or something. No clue how it has been during the previous years as I haven't really been following how the new models move. US is so much bigger so I guess better comparison in Europe would be Germany. Thomann had some for sale earlier and seems they have RGR5220 listed as "available" currently. Some days ago it was still yellow and pre-order sort of thing.

Strobe

Reaction score
Great color. I have a slight preference for the frozen ocean color, but the pickups on this have sounded so good in demos, and both colors are exceptionally good. I am happy for you! I want one, too!