NGD: It's an LP and what an LP

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Buffnuggler

Reaction score
Meh..I'on know bout all that, now.

haha fair enough but if you like gibsons this is like the first time ever that you you can buy ones that really feel identical to the old ones. idk whats changed but all the stuff since around 2019 that gibson custom shop has been putting out is just sublime. les pauls on average are under 9 lbs, some low 8s, the tops/finishing are amazing, the aging keeps getting better and better (gibson aging has historically been pretty bad, unless tom murphy), and the neck profiles are just killer. the guitars have the same limitations as ever but they really feel just like the vintage ones now and its taken this long for Gibson to get it.

Last edited:

tedtan

Reaction score
haha fair enough but if you like gibsons this is like the first time ever that you you can buy ones that really feel identical to the old ones. idk whats changed but all the stuff since around 2019 that gibson custom shop has been putting out is just sublime. les pauls on average are under 9 lbs, some low 8s, the tops/finishing are amazing, the aging keeps getting better and better (gibson aging has historically been pretty bad, unless tom murphy), and the neck profiles are just killer. the guitars have the same limitations as ever but they really feel just like the vintage ones now and its taken this long for Gibson to get it.
They filed for bankruptcy in 2018, got new owners and management, sold off the non-music areas of the company (LG Electronics, etc.), and are focused on music gear again.

soliloquy

Reaction score
y'know, if you take a picture upside down, and upload it, it should, in theory, be posted the right way up....

either way, beautiful guitar! congrats! How does it compare to the Eastman guitars you have?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
y'know, if you take a picture upside down, and upload it, it should, in theory, be posted the right way up....

either way, beautiful guitar! congrats! How does it compare to the Eastman guitars you have?
I only had the Eastman 335 for a couple months - it was traded towards the PRS MC594 I had. The Eastman was a nice guitar and a great value, but this R9 is above pretty much everything else I've owned except maybe the Huber. That includes the 2016 R8.

Estilo

Reaction score
They filed for bankruptcy in 2018, got new owners and management, sold off the non-music areas of the company (LG Electronics, etc.), and are focused on music gear again.

Sounds great in theory, less drunk moves other than that play authentic fiasco, but in terms of QC they've just been as atrocious. Congrats to OP for getting a good sample, but I think we can agree the current owner era pales to earlier Henry J era. I got my first Gibson last month, a 2021 Tribute.. well I guess that makes me an owner of a tribute to a Gibson LP, not an actual LP. Plays great, sounds great, probs my favourite guitar right now, but NGL that the finishing errors are laughable. I'm lucky its 'structure' is fine though.

Gibson threads normally get shit on, I'm surprised so many reporting findings of decency on Gibson's part on here.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Almost like they arent as bad as internet babble would have you believe ;)

soliloquy

Reaction score
I only had the Eastman 335 for a couple months - it was traded towards the PRS MC594 I had. The Eastman was a nice guitar and a great value, but this R9 is above pretty much everything else I've owned except maybe the Huber. That includes the 2016 R8.
you....have....a....Huber?

dude! post your guitar pics and family/group (guitar) shots! please?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
you....have....a....Huber?

dude! post your guitar pics and family/group (guitar) shots! please?
Had. Traded plus cash for an artist pkg cu24 which sold much faster lol. Nik’s team makes one hell of a guitar.

estin

Reaction score
people hate on gibson but in the last few yesrs the custom shop is making some of the best guitars of all time IMO
I haven't seen any recent CS stuff but their regular production models up to and including the standards have been awful imo. I had a CS R7 from 2010 and the control cavity and output jack routes looked like their were done at 4:30pm on a Friday by a 3rd grader.....

OP that one is a stunner though!

Buffnuggler

Reaction score
I haven't seen any recent CS stuff but their regular production models up to and including the standards have been awful imo. I had a CS R7 from 2010 and the control cavity and output jack routes looked like their were done at 4:30pm on a Friday by a 3rd grader.....

OP that one is a stunner though!

the production stuff right now i wouldnt say is terrible but they are just average. not a lot of personality, lacking attention to detail, bad solder work. i think you can do a lot better for the $. the older custom shop stuff ive also never been a big fan of.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have 3 other gibsons ranging from 96-2019 and they are all good guitars. Ymmv. I have not played hundreds or anything.

Shorts_Mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've had absolutely zero issues with Gibson. When I purchased my 2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard (Blueberry Burst) a few years back, I played a 2017, 2018, 2x2019 and 2x2020 (50s + 60s) Les Paul Standards, as well as a 2020 Les Paul Modern and 2013 and 2015 or 2017 Les Paul Custom. None of them had noticeable finishing or construction flaws but the tones, obviously, varied from instrument to instrument. The general consensus, though, seems to be that Gibson is, particularly, killing it since the management change.

Last edited:

estin

Reaction score
^ to be fair the "bad" Gibsons I had been seeing were at GC and all of their guitars (every brand) seem to be pretty rough right now.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
^ to be fair the "bad" Gibsons I had been seeing were at GC and all of their guitars (every brand) seem to be pretty rough right now.
Lead with that :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the thing with Gibson is, yeah a lot of their shit is of questionable quality but when they get it right, they get it RIGHT.
Problem, however, is finding that one.
The wildest part is I bought it sight unseen based on description + sellers tastes, the top and finish, and the weight.

Now there is a 2010 in whats essentially tobacco burst - and the guy wants the current list price. I’d be trying to trade my R8 except to hell with that :lol:

')