NGD! It's sparkly, double-cut, and click-baity

• Thread starter pott
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pott

Reaction score
It should have come with sunglasses. But I was prepared.

Tl'dr; it's an Aristides, it's quite different from their other models, it's cool in its own right, and the pickup + guitar's natural loudness mean it a LOUD mother with a huge sound. New patches required on all my amps.

This is Aristides 'other' model; their 020. It's a double-cut, and in typical Aristides fashion, it's its own thing.
It's not comparable to their other models, other than the brand. Thankfully, the brand in this case is the main talking point, but at this stage most folks will know what Aristides are about:
* They offer three models; superstrat (6, 7, 8, straight or fanned-frets), that double-cut (020, straight-scale only) and a 5-string bass)
* These guitars don't use wood AT ALL. The body is molded with their proprietary Arium material, with other various layers, and their fingerboard is Richlite
* The options you have are mostly around the hardware, electronics, fret-size etc... but, as the guitars molded into existence, there is no option available around fingerboard radius, neck joint (which, by the way, doesn't exist), general shape, output jack position etc...

The 020 has fewer options since no tremolo is available.
However, I want to say Aristides were EVEN MORE ACCOMMODATING than usual to me for this build.
* They did the custom inlay (I'm French, Paris born-and-bred; so the Aristides symbol, naturally, made this guitar's nickname... PARISTIDES :D)
* The guitar sports so damn fetching aluminium pickup rings... Oh my...
* They did my very specific electronics; it involves a blower switch (Bridge pickup straight to the output), but switched in position vs. the standard 3-way toggle. Hence the most close-by toggle is a 2-way which gives me choice between full power and a preset tone of my choice. There's also a coil split on the volume pickup
* The bridge is in the black nickel finish

For pickups I went with the Lundgrens Black Heavens. I've never had Lundgrens so it was a great opportunity to try. And the Black Heavens because I wasn't quite feeling going full-blast with M6s on this. I feel these could be a good compromise.

They sound very, very big. I'm going to have to re-do all my patches for sure.

Otherwise... what else.
Well the guitar feels quite different from their other models, as expected. Notably, it has more of a 'hollow' vibe in the tone. Acoustically, it's quite louder than my fanned-fret 060 but there's also other differences, so it may not hold in all situations.

The Richlite fingerboard here is more marbled than previously. I love it. I prefer streaky ebony over the jetblack stuff, so this has me very happy indeed.

The nice pictures were taken by the fine folks of Aristides. The terrible ones are mine.
IMG_20190218_182143978 (Large).jpg IMG_20190218_182202034 (Large).jpg IMG_20190218_182214583 (Large).jpg 51335003_2277245759214930_7902151633163780096_n.jpg 51571772_805478426451868_6377771773064118272_n.jpg 51574551_1140881812752877_2364316506457636864_n.jpg 51710790_1669629883182326_5135951313082777600_n.jpg 51712411_1189543731215194_3811266898008473600_n.jpg 51751385_2268883563367907_7826683809323024384_n.jpg
IMG_20190218_200108433 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Yeah this is 100% awesome. Kudos to you on speccing out an insane build.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
This is nuts. When a company does some crazy finishes like the chameleon stuff, I would be inclined to think that's the obvious finish to go for, but from having played Jonathan's silverburst 060 for a few hours, there's just something really great about how Aristides does this finish. I'd just stare at it forever even though he had the red/blue chameleon 070 there too. Sucks they quote me such a high price on it though or I'd already have one on order.

Awesome they stepped it up a notch too with the pickup ring material.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pott

Reaction score
The blue one on the last picture is blue/purple chameleon which I absolutely love (impossible to capture with a cell-phone camera + flash); and yep, the sparkly finishes are a step above.
It's a super expensive option though!

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
It should have come with sunglasses. But I was prepared.

Tl'dr; it's an Aristides, it's quite different from their other models, it's cool in its own right, and the pickup + guitar's natural loudness mean it a LOUD mother with a huge sound. New patches required on all my amps.

This is Aristides 'other' model; their 020. It's a double-cut, and in typical Aristides fashion, it's its own thing.
It's not comparable to their other models, other than the brand. Thankfully, the brand in this case is the main talking point, but at this stage most folks will know what Aristides are about:
* They offer three models; superstrat (6, 7, 8, straight or fanned-frets), that double-cut (020, straight-scale only) and a 5-string bass)
* These guitars don't use wood AT ALL. The body is molded with their proprietary Arium material, with other various layers, and their fingerboard is Richlite
* The options you have are mostly around the hardware, electronics, fret-size etc... but, as the guitars molded into existence, there is no option available around fingerboard radius, neck joint (which, by the way, doesn't exist), general shape, output jack position etc...

The 020 has fewer options since no tremolo is available.
However, I want to say Aristides were EVEN MORE ACCOMMODATING than usual to me for this build.
* They did the custom inlay (I'm French, Paris born-and-bred; so the Aristides symbol, naturally, made this guitar's nickname... PARISTIDES :D)
* The guitar sports so damn fetching aluminium pickup rings... Oh my...
* They did my very specific electronics; it involves a blower switch (Bridge pickup straight to the output), but switched in position vs. the standard 3-way toggle. Hence the most close-by toggle is a 2-way which gives me choice between full power and a preset tone of my choice. There's also a coil split on the volume pickup
* The bridge is in the black nickel finish

For pickups I went with the Lundgrens Black Heavens. I've never had Lundgrens so it was a great opportunity to try. And the Black Heavens because I wasn't quite feeling going full-blast with M6s on this. I feel these could be a good compromise.

They sound very, very big. I'm going to have to re-do all my patches for sure.

Otherwise... what else.
Well the guitar feels quite different from their other models, as expected. Notably, it has more of a 'hollow' vibe in the tone. Acoustically, it's quite louder than my fanned-fret 060 but there's also other differences, so it may not hold in all situations.

The Richlite fingerboard here is more marbled than previously. I love it. I prefer streaky ebony over the jetblack stuff, so this has me very happy indeed.

The nice pictures were taken by the fine folks of Aristides. The terrible ones are mine.
View attachment 67129 View attachment 67130 View attachment 67131 View attachment 67123 View attachment 67124 View attachment 67125 View attachment 67126 View attachment 67127 View attachment 67128
View attachment 67137

Digging both of those. I love chameleon paint jobs!!! How are you looking the black heaven? I just installed one a month or so ago, and I'm convinced it's the best pickup for metal.

broj15

Reaction score
This is super cool. I love the modern take on the classic double cut shape. Reminds me alot of the ibanez AX series.

pott

Reaction score
Digging both of those. I love chameleon paint jobs!!! How are you looking the black heaven? I just installed one a month or so ago, and I'm convinced it's the best pickup for metal.

So far they just sound BIG. There's quite a lot of bass/low-mids, and they're just huge.
I have yet to build new patches on the AX8 for it, so it's hard to tell in more details...

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Can you really call it click-baity when it's fuckin' dope? I really like their logo @ the 12th fret. Looks really nice.

pott

Reaction score
That's actually something they hadn't done before. Typically it's sideways at the 1st fret if you ask (and by-default on some models).
Originally I requested it sideways as well, so that it'd look upright when playing. They did some mockups and came to the conclusion that it looks a lot better, less cramped (and therefore easier to do) this way. And god-damn, they were right! This absolutely looks great!

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Couple of stunners Mr. Ott! Both look awesome. Looks like another jam session is in order haha

pott

Reaction score
Gonna need video demos of this beauty!

Unfortunately for you, and fortunately for virtually everyone, I never, and I mean NEVER post pictures/videos/soundclips of my (lack of) playing skills...
I extend this so far as to also never watch videos of other players, friends or idols or whomever. It's hard sucking this bad, trust me, I don't need any extra motivation to just quit :p

Thankfully DudeManBrother above is a monster player so when that jam does happen maybe we'll get to see it :D