NGD: Jackson Custom Shop 7 String

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DaPsyCho

Reaction score
How exactly is 26.5" on a 7 string a "longer" scale? Thats more or less the standard for 7s, especially Jacksons, the SLATXMG3-7 all have 26.5", and so does nearly all Schecter's. although previously all 7s were 25.5, and such are todays LTDs.

Didn't Misha Mansoor play 27" 7 strings? Like Tosin does? I don't get why Misha/Bulb considers this 26.5" to be different.

regardless, i think its the best for 7 strings, and it works quite well, because 27" make the tension on the 1st and 2nd strings too much, as well as limit floyd usability, but on a 26.5 the high E is still very playable and works with a whammy, but i can still have my lower string feel perfect tuned to C.

musicaldeath

Herald of Djod
Reaction score
Misha has stated before that he preferred 25.5" scale on his 7 strings. Don't quite remember why, but he has stated that in the past.

JoeChugs

Reaction score
If there was ever going to be a Jackson Misha Mansoor Signature, this would have to be it

Eclipse

Reaction score
Another blue guitar is another blue guitar haha. I've always wanted a Jackson. Does guitar center carry Jackson guitars?

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Basswood has always been and will always be awesome...

Exactly, people go on and on about their custom guitar specs, "must be through neck, must not be basswood etc" - basswood with a bolt on maple neck has always sounded good enough for Steve Vai, I certainly had no complaints about the tone on Passion and Warfare!

Nice guitar Bulb, the most impressive thing to me is the colour match, that really does look like BMW's Laguna Seca Blue. Which as an interesting factoid, is one of the rarest colours to find an E46 M3 in, in the European market at least. Second only to Dakar Yellow I think.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Not as nice as the sparkly one, but it's still a Jackson CS so I have to call it amazing.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
i like how you experiment with scale lengths... on a custom shop guitar haha. Looks very clean and understated, I like it!

Did you not get on with the evertune bridge on that mayones? Based on how everyone seems to rave about them, I figured you'd have it on everything from now on.

bulb

Reaction score
Sorry guys, haven't had the best internet access lately so ill address these all as best as I can!

Damn Misha, I'm gonna find you and I'm gonna get you! Stop holding up us lowly paying slob's custom orders!! :D

Joking aside, I had to do a double take... you've not tried longer scales? You of all people that have gone through a bazillion different guitars/brands? Oh, and congrats on the new Jackson! :yesway:

Rev.

I have tried longer scales, but my live guitars have usually been 25.5 as I prefer the sound of the higher strings on a shorter scale as well as the way bends/vibrato feel. However with this guitar I think 26.5 is a great option as well, I don't know if I would stick to one over the other just
yet, so it's nice to have guitars with both scale lengths out on tour with me!

sorta reminds me of a Daemoness body. Super nice and understated appearance. The horn cuts look really fricken cool.

Is that a new Jackson body style?? It's seriously one of the coolest super strat bodies I've seen. Love all the contours and cuts!

Jackson's masterbuilding custom shop can make any shape you ask for. With that in mind perhaps I was a bit tame in asking for what I wanted, but I was after something that looked like a Soloist on the bottom/hips with Daemoness styled pointy horns and a fully radiused arched top with no flat spots on it haha. I love what they did with it!

Holy shit! Congrats Misha - Jackson did an amazing job! Absolutely breathtaking. And asking them to do the EBMM truss rod adjustment location was a very SMART move! Amazing all-around.

All guitars should have the truss rod adjustment located there haha. It's convenient and easy to adjust, and no need for a truss rod cover (which I usually leave off anyways, and therefore looks lame.)

Curious; why a Floyd if you block it? Do you just like the feel or is their another reason?

I like the idea of a hardtail with fine tuners, so a Floyd with a tremol-no is the best thing ever and is obviously very versatile. I was going to block this one, but having tried it live in fully floating mode I found it stays in tune better than my hardtails with locking tuners, so I might just leave it floating for now haha.

i like how you experiment with scale lengths... on a custom shop guitar haha. Looks very clean and understated, I like it!

Did you not get on with the evertune bridge on that mayones? Based on how everyone seems to rave about them, I figured you'd have it on everything from now on.

Oh I love the evertune bridge but mainly for recording, I still need to roadtest that bridge a bit more!

Exactly, people go on and on about their custom guitar specs, "must be through neck, must not be basswood etc" - basswood with a bolt on maple neck has always sounded good enough for Steve Vai, I certainly had no complaints about the tone on Passion and Warfare!

Nice guitar Bulb, the most impressive thing to me is the colour match, that really does look like BMW's Laguna Seca Blue. Which as an interesting factoid, is one of the rarest colours to find an E46 M3 in, in the European market at least. Second only to Dakar Yellow I think.

Good basswood is just incredibly well balanced. I have enough guitars with enough combinations of wood to where I have found that Basswood with a Bolt-on maple neck just consistently yields an awesome guitar with tons of resonance, sustain and attack. Win!

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
@Misha and Mnemonic - I actually also went with the 26.5" scale length for my custom Jackson Kelly 7-string that I'm in 17 months waiting already. I had been using a 26.5" Schecter BlackJack C7 for years and loved the scale since I tune down to A standard on my 7's. Currently I have the Slatxmg3-7 which is also 26.5" so I really love that scale on 7's. For 6's my scale preference is 25.5" and for 8 string 27". For the 8-string 27" just gives a bit of a clearer sound that balances out the very low tuning.

Rev.

')