NGD: Just buy a used J Custom

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Man, when I first get a guitar I usually lower the action and fuss with truss rod a bit, and then walk around the house with a, "Look mom, I'm a guitar tech!" swagger. But you did a full refret? :bowdown: You're hardcore, man!

That's a beautiful top, too. Strong work on the sunlight photos!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
@Hollowway It's good practice, anyways! I might be in the minority as far as technicians go but I like refretting, especially to stainless. It feels like buying an old car and immediately giving it a huge turbo + meth injection or something. Completely unnecessary... and yet, I am compelled.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
@Hollowway It's good practice, anyways! I might be in the minority as far as technicians go but I like refretting, especially to stainless. It feels like buying an old car and immediately giving it a huge turbo + meth injection or something. Completely unnecessary... and yet, I am compelled.
Well, I'm equally good at refretting and car modifcations. i.e. I can't do either. :lol: But love them both!

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Congrats, dude! This will never stop being instant GAS starters.

Also, you keep those damn ivoroid buttons or I'm gonna raise hell! :lol:

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I love SS frets. Recently had my LP refretted to them which I know is sacrilege to Gibson fanboys... but it plays so nice now

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
holy crap!!! that's gorgeous
my favorite finish Ibanez ever did, hang on to this one.
I sold my old 8527 J-Custom back in 2011 and regret it all the time

Attachments

• RG8527.jpg
    RG8527.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 61

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
Looks amazing, one of my fav Ibby finishes as well!
HNGD - I was lucky to get my J for a decent price 2nd hand too, haven't quite seen a deal like it since

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
@Ben Pinkus I mean, this was around ¥140,000? I don't think there's any current Prestiges you can get for that. Same price range I paid for my old JC like, 6-7 years ago. I think I used up all my guitar buying luck for a while..

beyondcosmos

Reaction score
How did you do the refret to stainless steel and not screw up that binding????

That's an amazing guitar when stock, but your upgrades make it seem like one of the closest examples mankind will ever achieve of what a perfectly constructed object is.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
@beyondcosmos I'm certainly not the first person to do a refret with binding. It takes a bit more time, care and attention but it's nothing *too* difficult. Probably not the place to start with if you're learning fretwork, though. There's lots of useful information and tips online, if it's something you fancy learning yourself.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I can only imagine how irritated my fiancee would be if I took over the kitchen in our small apartment any longer than I already do for string changes, haha.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
This is the nicest top on an Ibanez I've personally seen first hand and I'm rather pleased with that aspect - in contrast my original JCRG7 had very 'meh' figuring. These seem to be really all over the place when it comes to top selection.
My RG8520 has similar figuring. The thick, bold stripes just look right on an RG.

Probably about 80% of the flamed tops on modern J.Customs that I've seen (in person & online photos) have been really disappointing. I definitely wouldn't order one blind.

')