NGD: "Just get a used Prestige" is the way.

Elias_Kapravelos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pics first!

IMG_20240606_110936461~2.jpg
IMG_20240606_191454046.jpg
IMG_20240605_234857721.jpg
IMG_20240605_233531268~2.jpg

Hey everyone, after 10 years of lusting over the RGD2127Z-ISH I finally got one, holy smokes what a guitar,
compared to my 1527 it's like driving a supercar after years of driving an economy sedan.

Found it used locally for 950€ with Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentient pickups in pretty good condition
(it has some glossing but I'm thinking about having it refinished in a Teuffel style satin charcoal matte).
The trem is very good and I love the stabilizer, made the gauge and tuning change a breeze, same with the intonation tool the trem has.
I bought it to play more modern stuff in drop A since my 1527 is geared for old school death metal and I wanted it permanently in A# standard.
I am not sure on how I feel on the pegasus pickup, I come from the world of super high output pickups with very thin string gauges and this one
needs a lot of give to sound proper, it's kind of nice for a change compared to my other guitars with EMGs, Dimarzios and Duncan Invaders.

Very nice guitar, the neck is about the same as the 1527 but the body is so much more comfortable and compact, reminds me of the JP7s I've owned in the past but more "metal".
Final pic is both the RGD and my custom 1527 for comparison.

Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
Gratz man! I love this model for the reason you don't like. I dunno why but there's something about the matte wearing and glossing on this specific model that I really like.

Elias_Kapravelos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice... I wouldn't call a 1527 an economy car, but it might depend a lot on the setup the guitar has. Mine has gone up the charts either in tones as with play, after the mods it received.
I had to shim the neck for the pickguard and it hasn't been playing as good since to be honest, it sounds incredible with the blazes don't get me wrong but it has a certain clunk that the RGD doesn't have, maybe it's the honeymoon period but I love both a lot.

Reaction score
I had to shim the neck for the pickguard and it hasn't been playing as good since to be honest, it sounds incredible with the blazes don't get me wrong but it has a certain clunk that the RGD doesn't have, maybe it's the honeymoon period but I love both a lot.
Why the shim because of the pickguard? Shims, as I understand them, are used to correct the action when the bridge isn't delivering enough travel... or to correct the neck angle (which resolves in the same thing)...

Mine has received a recent refret for stainless steel frets, not because it needed, but because SS frets are the shit and I could afford it, and earlier it also received full piezo mod, becoming an RG2027XVV copy-cat... all the same tones, super cool play, lighter on my back (I'm a small guy), awesome.

Nevertheless, enjoy the new, enjoy the old, may those guitars find home in your hands.

Elias_Kapravelos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got myself an RGD2127Z-ISH last year, but mine has D Activators...perhaps worth your consideration if you don't bond with the Sentient / Pegasus set.
I had them in an RG7321 many moons ago and I remember really liking them. I freaking love the sentient though, shred city. I am still dialing in the Pegasus, with the Otto II II II II amp and my personal ENGL 4X12 IRs it's getting there, I just have to downpick like hell. Might just change to 8-38 and a 52 next string change.