NGD: Krazy Koa #2 [Mayones Content]

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
You know, I've really reached a point where I'm okay with my 7421 as my main guitar, and not having a really extravagant, high tier instrument...but this thread ruined that. :lol: That's one amazing looking fiddle, man.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
Stunning!

Those gold poles over the black pickup covers give it a very nice, classy touch.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Goddamn I love figured Koa. While that's not quite the nicest Koa top I've seen (and I only say that because the nicest one I've seen is well and truly out of this world), it's definitely up there.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Goddamn I love figured Koa. While that's not quite the nicest Koa top I've seen (and I only say that because the nicest one I've seen is well and truly out of this world), it's definitely up there.

SILENCE! THE INFIDEL MUST POST PICS OF THIS GODLY KOA OR BE DAMNED!

:) Seriously though, I'm intrigued. There's a couple Ron Thorn ones that I think maybe better, and there's some cool koa Artingers, but I'd really be hard pressed to think of any as better or worse.

You know, I've really reached a point where I'm okay with my 7421 as my main guitar, and not having a really extravagant, high tier instrument...but this thread ruined that. :lol: That's one amazing looking fiddle, man.

Ha, it's a really cool instrument with a unique sound, but if I was going to be stuck on a deserted island, I'd take the 7421 with some DiMarzios!

Possessed

Reaction score
Very nice top! Congrats!
But i think the body of this charvel is equally nice
IMG_5191__92252.1457636673.1280.1280.jpg

IMG_5217__00169.1457636677.1280.1280.jpg

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
That is one handsome guitar :eek:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
SILENCE! THE INFIDEL MUST POST PICS OF THIS GODLY KOA OR BE DAMNED!

:) Seriously though, I'm intrigued. There's a couple Ron Thorn ones that I think maybe better, and there's some cool koa Artingers, but I'd really be hard pressed to think of any as better or worse.

If you say so, but just remember that you asked for it. ;) :lol:

(They're not the greatest photos, but somehow the awesomeness still shines through.)

guitars185.jpg

More photos here: http://www.clubmcnaught.com/index.php?topic=1695.90

As well as some here that a bit more natural colour (but still way too small): http://s1021.photobucket.com/user/gravworks/library/McNaught Koa 7-String?sort=3&page=1

FourT6and2

Reaction score
That is sick. Koa is such a pretty wood. I personally prefer a more subtle figure with Koa. But that's still dope, congrats!

Since we're sharing, though, here's my Duvell Koa. I really like the Black Limba back on yours though, more than mine!

limited1_by_haftelm-da1mfpr.jpg

limited3_by_haftelm-da1mfpa.jpg

narad

Reaction score
Wicked, wicked hot Koa top. Oof. Makes the heart ache! Thanks for elaborating on the BW pickups too. I love that they do wood covers. They look great on that guitar.

The quality of the covers seems really good too. I've seen some aftermarket sort of options before BKP and the like started offering to do it, and things have greatly improved! I think if there was another guitar where I really specifically wanted wood covers/bobbins, I'd try to grab one of the standard-magnet BWs.

If you say so, but just remember that you asked for it. ;) :lol:

Ah yea, I know that one! Is the top koa? I think the interesting thing about koa though is how the figure can "break apart" into very irregular ripples -- more like the front of mine/the rear of the McNaught. I wouldn't mind having the backside as the frontside on another guitar -- very Thorn-esque.

SS009_3.jpg

Thing about these slabs is that they're that quality and thick enough for whole bodies! We only have quite thin tops, as the flat-top regius can get away without using a whole lot of wood.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
That is one beautiful guitar! Happy NGD. May I ask how does that Hannes feel. I'm getting another ESP Custom and am settling on the Hannes. Main questions are feel, tonality (if any), and anything else you feel free to add. Thanks!

Also what camera did you use to take those gorgeous pictures???

narad

Reaction score
That is one beautiful guitar! Happy NGD. May I ask how does that Hannes feel. I'm getting another ESP Custom and am settling on the Hannes. Main questions are feel, tonality (if any), and anything else you feel free to add. Thanks!

Also what camera did you use to take those gorgeous pictures???

Thanks man. This is my first Hannes guitar, and you have to give it props for being really comfy and getting out of the way. More than any bridge it just disappears from your conscious thoughts as you play. Ergonomically speaking it's a really nice design. And besides evertune and the JP bridge, I think I'm familiar with pretty much everything popular around here.

I do think it's imparting something to the sound -- a little bit of a "klinkiness" in the higher strings. A little less full bodied? Probably not something particularly desirable, but more present in the acoustic sound than the amplified one. I've noticed it when I've had my floyds setup with too much forward lean. Actually, it's also a bit present in a lot of evertune vids I've heard -- more than what I get here with the Hannes. Not as full and even-sounding as a hipshot IMO.

But you can't take this as definitive, as I don't have enough of the right guitars to reduce this down to just 1 or 2 variables so that I can get a feel for precisely what the bridge is adding to the tone. Above is just a hunch.

Amazing and looks so good, what about the weight?

Can't comment on the weight yet, but tapping around it seems the horns are chambered in this one. Don't quote me, but I think most of the regiuses are solid -- at least I thought the ones I played before were. And so this would throw off a weight comparison -- it's rather light though.

narad

Reaction score
Entirely up to you, Mr. Sparkle.

Latest posts

')