NGD! KxK 7DC Bubinga, Pale Moon

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
Incredible work from Rob as usual. Can you tell us some tonal differences between this one and the burl maple one? They're both super amazing aesthetically.

EOT

I pull over 500 lbs.
Reaction score
Incredible work from Rob as usual. Can you tell us some tonal differences between this one and the burl maple one? They're both super amazing aesthetically.

Thank you all for the kind words:bowdown:

It's pretty hard to tell what tonal differences are coming from what. The burl is in standard tuning 10-59 with the P90s. And this one is down 1 1/2 steps 10-52+68 with the hum buckers. The burl is set up with fairly low action. The bubinga one is still settling in and has somewhat high action at the moment.

But keeping that in mind, the bubinga one is bigger and fuller sounding with a really nice, almost sparkly top end. I've only played it through a big amp once so far(Herbert). I've mostly been playing low volume through my Axe-Fx, but through channel 2+ on the Herby, it's thick, articulate, and punchy. And pretty dang quiet when I quit playing! And in single coil mode on the clean channel it is very pretty sounding. I'm probably going to start switching over to lower output pickups to see if it has the same effect for my other guitars.

The burl is bright and snappy, with a good bit growl. Surprisingly, the burl still sounds really good for heavy distorted palm mutes. But you have to be really careful, because it will hum and feedback when cranked in a small room through a high gain amp. It's strong point is gritty clean to mild distortion. And I LOVE it for that. You know Adam Jones's dirty clean sound? I like playing those types of tones with this guitar.

That's about the best I can give you for now. Hope it helps:yesway:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Roughly how much does the PME fretboard option add to the overall cost?

I think I need to have a conversation with the wife about adding to the herd...

EOT

I pull over 500 lbs.
Reaction score
Roughly how much does the PME fretboard option add to the overall cost?

I think I need to have a conversation with the wife about adding to the herd...

I bought the PME from Cook Woods. I think it was around $150 after shipping. And since there was enough, he offered to make the bobbin tops out if it. We were originally thinking a PME Bubinga zebra combo for the pickups. But I ended up liking the PME more.

I'm very happy with how it turned out:yesway:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I bought the PME from Cook Woods. I think it was around $150 after shipping. And since there was enough, he offered to make the bobbin tops out if it. We were originally thinking a PME Bubinga zebra combo for the pickups. But I ended up liking the PME more.

I'm very happy with how it turned out:yesway:

Me too! When will it be for sale? ;)

2ManyShoes

10th Degree GearSlut
Reaction score
:holy::wag::holy:

Man, after the guitar-bender month I've been on, I would have thought I was inoculated against GAS, but I guess not. Awesome NGD!

That fretboard looks a lot like the bocote board on a Warmoth I'm building.

2012-04-18_11-50-08_727.jpg

2012-04-18_11-49-50_78.jpg

2012-04-18_11-49-23_951.jpg

IMG_8907.jpg

EOT

I pull over 500 lbs.
Reaction score
I love that bocote!^ That shit is super hard isn't it? Might work well as a neck :idea:

2ManyShoes

10th Degree GearSlut
Reaction score
I love that bocote!^ That shit is super hard isn't it? Might work well as a neck :idea:

I absolutely love it. It's also called "Mexican Rosewood," but it feels harder than rosewood to me. Confusingly, about 5 other woods are also called "Mexican Rosewood." :scratch:

BTW, this is going on an absolutely sick chambered black korina Explorer body. :mk:

EOT

I pull over 500 lbs.
Reaction score
I absolutely love it. It's also called "Mexican Rosewood," but it feels harder than rosewood to me. Confusingly, about 5 other woods are also called "Mexican Rosewood." :scratch:

BTW, this is going on an absolutely sick chambered black korina Explorer body. :mk:

The only thing I really know about it is that it's sometimes used to make custom longbows. So I'm assuming it would be pretty tough stuff. It also looks pretty sweet! That should be an awesome guitar:metal:

')