NGD - Laney Ironheart Studio

• Thread starter Fred the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Latency issues? I couldn't really complain in my case, but then again I do tend to monitor stuff directly so maybe that's why I never had any trouble. As for the buttons popping out, I'm still to have that on any Ironheart - unless you're applying a rather peculiar herculean pull on them, which I doubt, you might want to check the warranty on that!

As for the cab sim live, it does work great, no problem there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
Well, after a few weeks of owning one, the verdict is: great for the price, but I sure wish I didn't have to reglue half the buttons that stayed in my hand very quick.

My Ironheart 120h has been fine but I have had that issue on a few amps. A good cheap and non permanent fix is to wrap a small piece of tissue around the pot shaft and push the knob on to it - should tighten it up, without needing to use glue.

With these kinds of things I feel it is better to use a non permanent fix - just in case you ever really need to remove the knob or want to change them. A bit of extra friction is usually all that is needed, silly as it sounds, tissue paper has worked fine for me for that fix in the past. When I've done it right the knob no longer comes off during normal use but will still come off if you give it a strong pull. Give it a try, doesn't cost much!

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Last amp I had that issues with was one of my Boogies, but after all the road service it did, it's something I'd see as normal. Fixed it with bits of wrapping plastic from cigarette packs. :lol:

BeyondDan

Beyond Fiction
Reaction score
Still no one knows where to find it in the USA or Canada?? And the price?

BeyondDan

Beyond Fiction
Reaction score
Thanks! i'll check for that!! This thing seems so interesting! And also the fact that you can put it in a rack with a power amp and be good to go live!!!

Can you go straight in the PA with the cab sims and go through a power amp and cab at the same time ?

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
It would be a bit of a hassle, as you have a single DI out, which has the speaker sim either on or off, so turning it on would imply that using that same feed to drive the power amp wouldn't be optimal unless you were using something along the lines of a powered FR/FR cab. Speaking from experience, I either mic a cab being fed by a larger power amp when needed or I simply resort to the stage mic when going direct, coupled with the amp itself driving a cab.

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
It would be a bit of a hassle, as you have a single DI out, which has the speaker sim either on or off, so turning it on would imply that using that same feed to drive the power amp wouldn't be optimal unless you were using something along the lines of a powered FR/FR cab.

Surely you go

DI -> PA

and

FX send -> power amp -> cab

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
And instantly lose whatever FX you'd be using in the loop, such as external delays, reverbs, etc.. That is a massive compromise as opposed to a fully functional solution.

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
And instantly lose whatever FX you'd be using in the loop, such as external delays, reverbs, etc.. That is a massive compromise as opposed to a fully functional solution.

You still get a loop if you go fx send -> fx -> power amp, but it is true that those effects wouldn't also go to the DI, which is a compromise for sure. In fact there is no point in doing that if the DI signal is what is going to the PA. You could put the effects on the DI signal, but in that case you might as well just monitor from that instead of using a bigger power amp and cab to monitor.

If you didn't use effects it would work though.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Yeah - that's why I don't really bother. If the venue is large enough for the inbuilt power amp to be overwhelmed, that means I am quite likely to have proper monitors I can use to sort that issue. Another viable solution would be to use an external impulse loader after splitting the DI's signal, which is what I do with the Axe FX. :)

Doombreed

Reaction score
First off, thanks once again for the demo of the Ironheart Fred. It really sounds great and if I didn't already have a Kemper...

Mostly I wanted to jump in and suggest you guys check teflon tape out for all your knob fixing needs. I've never used it for this purpose before, but many times in my day job to ensure tighter fits for high pressure connections. It has no actual stickiness and is a little bit more classy than tissues or bubble wrap ;)

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
+1 on the teflon tape.

It also does wonders for a trem bar that is flopping around.... though I realize some people dig a floppy bar.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
So, was actually trying to keep up on my promise and I have a question, is it WAI that pluggin the USB disables windows audio ? Wanted to try doing it all via windows audio for a change and obviously can't. Recording happens, but no way of monitoring or hearing anything actually.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
So, was actually trying to keep up on my promise and I have a question, is it WAI that pluggin the USB disables windows audio ? Wanted to try doing it all via windows audio for a change and obviously can't. Recording happens, but no way of monitoring or hearing anything actually.

It depends on the DAW, but it usually doesn't. If you find the output is muted for some reason, I suggest you create a hybrid in / out in the DAW, in being the Laney and out being whatever you'd normally use.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Tried it with both Reaper and Studio One, I'll try your trick tonight, cheers. Not a biggie if it doesn't work as I kept my saffire 8 but for the sake of testing I have to try it. ^^
And just so you're sure my settings aren't borked, unplugging the USB had my windows sound back in a normal fashion.
I normally use an axe FX 2, I don't want to imagine the USB nightmare I could have using those two at the same time XD

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
It's not a big hassle when you configure stuff, don't worry! You can even force a default playback device so shit doesn't go nuts on you every time you change the input source! Haha!

')