NGD - Legator N8FP - My Disappointment is immeasurable -_-

• Thread starter Koldunya
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
This is what they sold me vs what I got:
View attachment 108308
They are nothing alike o_O The headstock kinda is...

I wanted a vibrant purple guitar and I got one that is barely purple and almost looks fucking brown.

It's well-built, seemingly, at least, fret ends are great. The grain is nice, and I can absolutely unfuck this, but there is no way this is an "oops" or "eVeRy CaMeRa oR mOnItOr iS dIfFeReNt" thing. They absolutely photoshopped/IG filtered their own fucking guitar...
If I were in the USA I would ask you to sell it to me

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ross82

Reaction score
Unless you see a pic of the ACTUAL guitar you're buying and I mean the exact serialized one, then the colour should be considered a general representation at best, especially in the lower end scale of products.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
*Narrator* And that was the last they ever heard from the OP. Every year, around Memorial Day, someone will inevitably bring up the post of the purple Legator, and everyone will stop, look around at each other, and, once again, quietly confirm that the OP has not yet surfaced. Is he happy? Did he return the guitar? Is he still using a potato as his primary camera? Only God and Legator will ever know.
And had it been WintermintP or had he simply passed his mantle on?

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
question to the op:

the color and lighting are bad in your photo...

was the pic taken in bivins laundry room where he recorded the now infamous abrb audition video?

primitiverebelworld

Reaction score
I think its fine and normal to refinish your 1K guitar out of the box. Hell - people change pickups and stain fretboard on 2K + guitars. As long as you get what you want from your instrument and are happy with the outcome - why not!?
But we totally have been there aswell and are on your side regarding the first shock if something does not meet our expectations so dramatically.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I think it's completely understandable for you to be disappointed that the colour is completely different to what you expected.

Based on the headstock looking closer to the colour of Legator's photo, it seems likely that variation in the wood (not the stain) is the cause. It's very possible that the lighter parts of the wood on your guitar are naturally browner (less pale) than the wood of the one in Legator's photo. If this is the case, I would argue that Legator selected the stain poorly for the wood variety, as production guitars need to have a fairly consistent finish - a different purple stain could have significantly lessened the difference.

Something to learn from this, before your next purchase, is that any guitar finish that leaves the natural grain visible is going to vary from guitar to guitar. The solution would be to only buy a guitar with one of these finishes if you can see the exact guitar you're buying first.

I bought my J. Custom from an online seller (Ibanez Rules!) that shows a gallery of high resolution photos of each specific guitar, so you can choose your favourite (or at least know what you're buying, if there's only one in stock). I would not have been comfortable ordering the same model of guitar from the majority of online retailers, purely because I couldn't see the guitar first. Flamed maple tops vary a lot (how highly figured, how wide / straight the stripes are, how dark it is etc.) and certain stains (like the 'sodalite' finish on my J. Custom) darken the stripes far more than the rest of the wood - so a highly figured top will look way darker than a less figured top. I opted for one that looks kind of like tiger stripes over one that looked more like pin-stripes (both were beautiful tops though).

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I think its fine and normal to refinish your 1K guitar out of the box. Hell - people change pickups and stain fretboard on 2K + guitars. As long as you get what you want from your instrument and are happy with the outcome - why not!?
But we totally have been there aswell and are on your side regarding the first shock if something does not meet our expectations so dramatically.
To buy a guitar with the intention of refinsihing it (because you can't buy a guitar with the right combination of finish & specs) is definitely fine and normal. In the OP's case, I think they should get in touch with the seller first to see whether they'll offer a solution (exchange / partial refund / return with full refund).

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The headstock looks closer to the original guitar because the headstock tilts back and is facing the light source. We have zero idea what the body looks like.

narojo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a legator bass. I actually fixed a vintage short scale bass and traded that in for the leg. I love the way it looks, but absolutely hate the way it plays. Seems to be super sensitive to strings dying in an unusual way. Not really interested in modding it.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Did the OP ever come back with any opinion after the dust settled?

That’s a negative, Ghost Rider.

op hasn't been on in over a month...

Screenshot_20220702-005555_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
A YouTube channel, but instead of reviewing gear and music, I go looking for the OPs who started a thread, and then went MIA. When I find him/her, we go to a triple D restaurant, eat, and read through all of the comments since s/he last logged in.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
And had it been WintermintP or had he simply passed his mantle on?
Well out of totally pointless curiosity I went on Wintermint's band's Facebook page and it looks like dude actually got a pretty wild Legator 9 before they stopped posting sometime last year. Not the same specs as in his classic "Legator group buy" thread, which makes me wonder what happened there. I mean, I feel like I kind of already know, but I want to be entertained by the telling of the story. :lol:

So although this OP's posting style and taste in guitars are very similar, maybe it's just coincidence...

Edika

Reaction score
As everyone else, I was expecting a horror show of a guitar, given Legator's reputation, and not someone miffed about not getting the shade of purple he was expecting. Sure, it's not ideal to expect one color and get a somewhat different one but if the rest of the fit and finish is great and the guitar, more importantly, plays and feels well then it's am inconvenience at best.
I know it's a hard pill to swallow for most but as guitar prices are going, we'll be soon enoughattue point where ~$1000 will be the equivalent of ~$600 guitars 5-10 years back.

')