NGD: limba limba limba limba limba limba limbaaaaa

• Thread starter jephjacques
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hexatticus

Reaction score
:scratch: Of course pickup height is adjustable. It is on every guitar I've ever seen with pickups.

Rev.

Thanks for setting me straight. I know the op already has his heart set on a new set of pups so its moot but perhaps lowering the pups might have brought the output down enough to his liking.

edit: I just listened to the pup comparison. Holy crap that sounds good! I would love to know what the rest of the rig is.

Hexatticus

Reaction score
Axe FX II into Logic and Superior Drummer.

I hear the clipping in the clean section near the end. I'm curious where the clipping was happening. The Axe FX II preamp, amp sim, or DAW software?

As far as gain sounds, I found the section 0:14-0:22 most impressive to my ears. I know that is with the pups that gave you fits but it sounds huge and alive to me for lack of better adjectives. Also I think I hear a heavier pick attack with the EMG's and getting some audible fret contact that I didn't hear during the previous passage with the stock pups. Is it possible you were unconsciously digging deeper trying to get the same output?

I know all of this is subjective and the EMG's definitely sound better in the clip during the cleans due to not clipping but I actually liked the stocks more. Thanks for doing the comparison and thanks for showing off that amazing beauty. I think it would be nice if Carvin would put something on the stock pup covers like a small Carvin logo and maybe the pup model. It would be a nice touch and they wouldn't look cheap-ish because they are left blank.

I cant believe that kind of quality can be had for that price. Wonderful score!

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Any clipping was at the input level, i.e. from the guitar into the preamp. And that was with me playing as gently as I could.

The EMGS are definitely less forgiving than the stock pickups, but I prefer that- I'd rather just work on my sloppy technique :lol: And I think they'll sit in a mix really well, can't wait to hear some bass under them.

Avogadr0

Reaction score
The EMGS are definitely less forgiving than the stock pickups, but I prefer that- I'd rather just work on my sloppy technique :lol: And I think they'll sit in a mix really well, can't wait to hear some bass under them.

Really? I was told that they EMGs are much less sensitive and less microphonic. The stock pups seem to detect even the slightest bit of string ringing, which I'm pretty sure wouldn't be the case with passive pickups. Or at least I'm hoping...

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
They're not microphonic in the slightest, but they're very clear and so you'll be able to hear any sloppiness in your technique. And the 57/66 are still active pickups, they're just voiced to be closer to passives. I like them miles better than the 707/808s. Although the beauty of going EMG is now swapping out different pickups of theirs is a piece of cake! I love the solderless connectors, I wish more pickups companies did it.

7stg

Reaction score
Carvins are amazing, and that is a beautiful guitar.

Well, if you play 8-strings and don't own a DC800 WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU, GO SPEC ONE OUT NOW.

As soon as they release a DC8X with an extended scale, hoping 29-30 inches I will buy. My m80m with a 29.4 inch scale sounds so much better than a 27 inch scale to me. I would love to have an 8 string with Carvins specs and quality, I just need a longer scale first.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
I am the worlds biggest gloss finish hater but that looks awesome. The dark stripe on the back of the neck is too cool.

Wonder why it is taking Carvin so long to offer a set of Carvin passive 8 string pu's

Awesome guitar and review, thanks for sharing and yes, there is a Carvin mafia :lol:

Avogadr0

Reaction score
If they offered the passive pups to begin with, it would eliminate much of the hassle I've had to go through with buying new parts and such.

I mean, they have to realize by now that a significant portion of their clients are swapping their actives out for BKPs, DiMarzios and SDs.....

')