NGD: M80M

• Thread starter Matt08642
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt08642

Reaction score
TL;DR: It’s sick, pics at the bottom!

I’ve wanted an 8-string since they became more commonplace initially just for Meshuggah riffs... And honestly still mostly just for those riffs :lol: Took some time to look things up and see what I’d want and found that most 8-strings had some element of compromise I didn’t want to deal with. I’m an Ibanez fan at heart so I didn’t want to stray from the brand having not liked the few other 8-strings I’ve tried (Jackson and Schecter locally). The only non-Ibanez I was willing to entertain was the LTD SC-608 in Red Sparkle, but that was purely because of the color. Wasn’t a fan of the middle pickup or the finished back of the neck, plus the pickup selector seems like it’d get right in the way for me.

Anyway, I landed on a second stock M80M Rich @ IbanezRules had for sale – Even with the currency conversion to Canada Monopoly money + taxes + duties + UPS highway robbery fees I still came in $500 less than the SC-608 would have cost, and $700 less than a new M80M, plus I got the joy of not buying from a big box store which is always a plus.

In case anyone is curious or on the fence, ordering from Rich is super quick and straightforward, I’d recommend it for any Ibanez purchase.

This guitar was marked second stock for a blemish you can barely see unless it’s under direct light, pic from IbanezRules:

upload_2021-5-12_14-54-3.png

Otherwise the guitar is flawless. Made in Indonesia but appears to be built really nicely. I can’t find any really harsh tooling marks like my MII Soundgear bass has all over the frets. I got the bronze package from Rich and he set it up for all the strings to have 1.5mm action, same as I like on my MIJ prestiges. No chokes or buzzing that I can tell. Fit and finish isn’t quite as nice as my MIJ Prestige, but for an MII it’s fantastic compared to others I’ve tried at stores. Ultimately I’d like to have a Stainless refret done but that will be an ordeal and cost for another day :)

Neck:

The neck has a very similar profile to my 1998 RG7620 – Wide and very flat on the back. My 752FX has more of a rounded profile on the back that while a bit thinner, makes the Wizard-7 neck feel thicker:

upload_2021-5-12_14-54-59.png

As mentioned earlier, the fretwork is quite good for an MII. No chokes on big bends that my 752fx chokes on, and it’s been to a luthier for fretwork already. Ends of the frets are dressed nicely compared to the violence they inflicted on my MII SR505E:

upload_2021-5-12_14-55-15.png

So far the scale length has been a complete non-issue for me. It’s slightly more difficult for big stretches at most. The upper fret access isn’t as perfect as 7 and 6 stringers with a normal scale, but I didn’t buy this to practice my scales above the 17th fret :lol:

Nothing negative to say about the fretboard - It's clearly not the jet black you'd see with Ebony or dyed Rosewood, but the Jatoba (I think?) gives it a real evil red look that I dig. Also loving the no inlays life with the grain of this wood.

I'm also not sure what crack Ibanez was smoking, but their choice to set this up with .009/.011/.016/.024/.032/.042/.054/.065 a half step down is... Strange at best. Ordered some custom sets from Stringjoy to test out, starting with a copy of the gauges used by Fredrik/Marten on the M8M: .009/.011/.016/.026/.036/.046/.052/.070. I do like the .054 for the B, but we'll see how the .052 feels. Can't wait for the .070 for F, since the .065 is usable and sounds fine but only with some feather touch playing

upload_2021-5-12_15-5-49.png

Body, Pickup, Controls:

Heavy.
I knew going in this was a particularly heavy guitar, coming in at 10.28lbs (Pic from Rich):

upload_2021-5-12_14-55-33.png

Not a problem for me, my 752 is quite heavy as well but then again I am not a gigging musician and wouldn’t be standing with this for hours on end so YMMV with a 10lb guitar lol.

So far I’m loving the Lundgren M8 pickup and the location of the control layout. I don’t like guitars where the volume is so far away you can’t do anything with it, so the slightly displaced but still usable Ibanez Vol and Tone layout works well for me - Transitioning from my 752 to this was seamless.

Nothing exciting to write about the bridge other than it’s comfortable and works like I’m used to for Floyds, but without the initial setup of a trem. I saw it elsewhere on SSO, but there needs to be more fixed FR-Style bridges like this for those of us not 100% sold on Evertune – Tuning has held up for hours just like I would expect from a standard double locking setup.

Anyway, some pics!

UPS doing their best to put some speed holes in the box about 1/8" away from the neck, which gave me heart palpitations as I was unboxing:

upload_2021-5-12_15-0-6.png

upload_2021-5-12_14-58-16.png

upload_2021-5-12_14-58-41.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Every time I see this guitar I hear the Demiurge riff in my head. Congrats dude, have fun riffing!

The second I unboxed it I was playing Demiurge and Straws Pulled At Random :agreed:

Not a fan of Jatoba fretboard but an incredible guitar for sure

Oh yeah if I was paying full price I'd have waited a year or whatever for the Rosewood 2021 models to be available, but with the discount I couldn't resist. Might experiment some day with dying it darker but digging it for now - Maybe whenever I get a tech to do a refret with stainless!

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
Grats! I'm really glad you talked about the neck profile. Stubby D Wizard (don't laugh) seems to be my way of wording it, but regardless I just know that I really like how it feels and plays.

My two main 8s at the time I got mine are Endurneck and IPNP neck profiles; Years later I still have a really hard time deciding on which of the three I enjoy playing more. I pick up some other 8s nowadays and I can feel my hands groaning at me haha.

Interesting that you mentioned feather playing on stock string gauges. Personally I'm not convinced that's the whole story but it's a lot to talk about on the fly. I really liked the 65 as a bedroom noodler, once I started to push my volumes I did up to a 68 and for now I think that's where I'm happy.

P.S. Straws Pulled At Random freaking slaps on this thing. :metal:

Matt08642

Reaction score
Grats! I'm really glad you talked about the neck profile. Stubby D Wizard (don't laugh) seems to be my way of wording it, but regardless I just know that I really like how it feels and plays.

My two main 8s at the time I got mine are Endurneck and IPNP neck profiles; Years later I still have a really hard time deciding on which of the three I enjoy playing more. I pick up some other 8s nowadays and I can feel my hands groaning at me haha.

Interesting that you mentioned feather playing on stock string gauges. Personally I'm not convinced that's the whole story but it's a lot to talk about on the fly. I really liked the 65 as a bedroom noodler, once I started to push my volumes I did up to a 68 and for now I think that's where I'm happy.

P.S. Straws Pulled At Random freaking slaps on this thing. :metal:

I actually found out someone at Ibanez was high when they put strings on at the factory, it's a 9-42 set with a 59 or 60 for the A# and F (measured with digital calipers, both read out the same), which explains the absolute flop on the lowest string and how burly the A# sounds lol

Unfortunately it seems like 8 string sets that make any sense don't exist (9-80? Who the fuck?), but unfortunately I have yet to receive the Stringjoy 9-46 + 52 + 70 sets I ordered when I bought the guitar. Ordered some GHS Boomers off Amazon that should show up today that I'm going to try (9/11/16/24/32/42/54/72), though now that I know I can play okay-ish with a 59/60 as F, I'm sure 72 might feel too big but we'll see! The plus side is the tension will only increase by like 1.2lb when I put this new set on since the A# is much thinner and the F will actually provide tension :lol: Been waiting almost a week now for Amazon "Prime" delivery, which is a whole other ragefest.

On the plus side while I wait for literally any strings to show up, I got some Schaller S-locks (1 day shipping, imagine that!) because I was worried about my old faithful DiMarzio Cliplocks marring the finish. Only downside is how god damn ugly they are and how far they stick out, even compared to the Schaller locks I got 10 years ago:

upload_2021-5-19_14-46-45.png
upload_2021-5-19_14-46-55.png

I do like how they feel though (and being dead silent is pretty cool), so now I'm looking at some more expensive thick leather straps. I find the >2" width of this strap helps with how heavy the guitar is. That being said, the guitar is extremely well balanced and has little to no neck dive, miraculously!

shpence

Reaction score
I got some Schaller S-locks (1 day shipping, imagine that!) because I was worried about my old faithful DiMarzio Cliplocks marring the finish. Only downside is how god damn ugly they are and how far they stick out, even compared to the Schaller locks I got 10 years ago

I had more difficulty getting Dunlop straploks on my M80M than any instrument I've ever had so I can relate haha!

Matt08642

Reaction score
I had more difficulty getting Dunlop straploks on my M80M than any instrument I've ever had so I can relate haha!

Are those the countersunk ones? What in particular about the M80M made them more difficult to install? I don't think I'd go that route (no pun intended lol) since it involves permanent modifications, but they do look sick

shpence

Reaction score
Are those the countersunk ones? What in particular about the M80M made them more difficult to install? I don't think I'd go that route (no pun intended lol) since it involves permanent modifications, but they do look sick
Yeah. It's just what I had on hand and was too far into installing them to go back. Ash body just wasn't having it. Had to do it over a few days but finally got it done.

Matt08642

Reaction score
New strings arrived (GHS Set, 9-72) so I took everything apart, gave it a cleaning, polished the frets as best I could (thinking I'll need to hit them with a fret eraser or steel wool but okay for now), put the new strings on and set it back up. Conclusion: the 72 is gross and way too thick for the low F at this scale length. Hopeful if my Stringjoy sets ever show up that the 70 will feel a bit better to play and more importantly sound less like a dead bass string :lol: another thing to consider is how difficult it was to string up the D/C#, the string barely had the length to reach the tuning peg, but that might just be a GHS thing (Maybe Stringjoy strings are longer?). Also, the 72 didn't fit in the tuning peg, but fortunately had a section with smaller wraps (54 gauge according to calipers) to slide in to the tuning peg and wind up.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I learned a harsh lesson about this guitar last weekend.

Folks, don't do up the hex bolts on your locking nut pressure pads too tight. I've long been under the mistaken impression that they should be rather tight. As a result, I have had a chunk of the crappy, die cast metal that the nut is made of, tear out around the hole for the pressure pad that sits over the two lowest strings.

Fortunately, I using fairly heavy strings - so threaded bit of the hex bolts (which is 8mm long) was only grabbing maybe 1-2mm of the threaded hole in the base plate, and that was all that tore out - leaving a small crater centred on the threaded hole.

After pricing a replacement nut and finding out that it's likely to set me back somewhere in the realm of $200AUD, I decided to look at alternative solutions.

The imperfect, yet highly effective solution was to buy some 10mm M4 machine screws, which are long enough to catch the threads on the base plate down lower. It allowed me to secure the lowest pressure pad again, and also fit nicely into all of the other positions too. I thought it might hit bottom before the pressure pad grabbed the thinner strings, but it didn't.

I was much more careful about how tight I made them.

Folks, don't over tighten the bolts on your lock nut.

Matt08642

Reaction score
I learned a harsh lesson about this guitar last weekend.

Folks, don't do up the hex bolts on your locking nut pressure pads too tight. I've long been under the mistaken impression that they should be rather tight. As a result, I have had a chunk of the crappy, die cast metal that the nut is made of, tear out around the hole for the pressure pad that sits over the two lowest strings.

Fortunately, I using fairly heavy strings - so threaded bit of the hex bolts (which is 8mm long) was only grabbing maybe 1-2mm of the threaded hole in the base plate, and that was all that tore out - leaving a small crater centred on the threaded hole.

After pricing a replacement nut and finding out that it's likely to set me back somewhere in the realm of $200AUD, I decided to look at alternative solutions.

The imperfect, yet highly effective solution was to buy some 10mm M4 machine screws, which are long enough to catch the threads on the base plate down lower. It allowed me to secure the lowest pressure pad again, and also fit nicely into all of the other positions too. I thought it might hit bottom before the pressure pad grabbed the thinner strings, but it didn't.

I was much more careful about how tight I made them.

Folks, don't over tighten the bolts on your lock nut.

Back when I was new to double locking systems and simply didn't stretch the strings enough, I did almost the same thing with my 7620! Had to order replacement parts from Rich. I actually thought the Ibanez tool was too flimsy to possibly clamp down hard enough and went out and bought hex keys to really crank the pads down, which broke the bolts.

My thought process when locking the nut now is thinking about how a .01" burr/narrow area in a Graphtech TUSQ nut will bind the string completely, so logically it doesn't require too much pressure to bind the string in a locking nut.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
That's a smart way of thinking about it.

This time around, I just tightened them with the screwdriver (couldn't find hex head bolts that were long enough) until I met the first bit of resistance and gave just a little push after that. It's staying in tune just as well as when I was cranking the shit out of them with the hex key like i used to.

Reaction score
There are places that will make/order you custom sized hex bolts. There is a place near where I live that acquired some custom screws/bolts in the past and they weren't really custom they just had to order them. Things like that are not too uncommon, you just need to find the right guy to talk to that knows all the bolt measurement terminology. Make sure to bring the parts so they can get the thread type right.

')