NGD: Mayonnaise is a truly delicious condiment. Now with cheeky vids!

Brndn

Reaction score
Preface: I've spent a long time lurking, so I hope this makes up for it :p

I've have an itch ever since I discovered Pain Of Salvation and Daniel's Element series a few years ago. Now that I've got sustainable, long term employment I figured it was time to finally scratch it.

I'll try to be brief because let's be honest; we're all here for the photographs.
You may have already seen some of them on the Mayones Facebook, if you're as glued to it as I am.

Requested specs:

• Body: Sapele Mahogany
  • Neck: 11-ply Maple/Wenge/Amazokoe/Padaouk
    • Altered (thinner) neck dimensions of 19-21mm :shred:
    • Ebony board, 16" radius, 25.5" scale.
    • White MOP side dots, no fret inlays.
    • Ferd Wagner stainless frets, 18%NS #9665 2.64×1.20 mm (w×h)
  • Top: Spalted Maple
  • 3 ply black/grey pearl/black binding (no binding on neck)
  • Natural matte finish front body with oiled finish rear body and neck
  • Jazz7/Beck7 pickup combo with 5-way like so: http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/2hum1vol1tone_ep1112MP.pdf
  • Schaller Hannes7 bridge (more on this later...)
  • Ego option: custom truss cover! (also more on this later...)

They told me they could do all of it (even the neck after I hassled them a bit), so I threw a deposit down immediately.

A few months later, the distributor sent me these:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Before going any further I'd like to stress that Mack and Artur have been fantastic and accommodating to all of my requests. This post is NOT NEGATIVE CRITICISM of Mayones or their staff. I am merely sharing my experience. The issues described below were likely caused by events unfit for public speculation.

This is where things start to move a bit strangely. Due to a shortage of timber, I wasn't given the option to select my spalt top as I'd expected. Fortunately they chose a beautiful and understated piece and I couldn't have been happier.

However, while ogling it I noticed something odd about that bridge route and string-thru combo. I'd looked up how to install a Hannes while spec-ing it out and something didn't look right to me. Turns out they'd routed for an ABM. :wallbash: This wasn't something I was informed about.

Understandably confused, I wrote to them to ask what the deal was (my distributor also wasn't informed), and it turns out Mayones/Schaller weren't satisfied with the results of the prototyping and weren't confident they could deliver on a Hannes and still hit the ETA they'd given me. Instead they went ahead with the ABM. It was either that or delay the build until February 2014, which I probably would have declined to do anyway. Despite that, more communication on this front would have been nice.

So after coming to terms that my dreams of owning a first-run Hannes7 guitar were over (an ABM is fine too :p), I began patiently awaiting more photographs of the process. Cue several months of dead silence :noway:

Then, literally a week ago I see this pop up on Facebook:

Looks suspiciously like my guitar. Distributor hasn't seen these pics, I haven't seen these pics, and yet they're up on Facebook. Furthermore, the attached spec sheet claims a different wiring schema and a push-pull, and it's missing the engraved truss cover. What on earth.

Write to them to confirm, turns out it is mine and it's already en route to me :/. Obviously I became concerned that other specs were missed so I contacted them again. They confirmed it was wired to spec, and that they were unsure if the truss cover was included. Still nervous, I decided to bide my time and leave it to my distributor to check.

Fortunately, nothing at all was wrong! It arrived perfectly to my initial specs, aside from the production issue with the Hannes7. The custom truss cover was also nowhere to be found, but they've already begun to rectify it and ship me one directly. All in all things moved a little strangely, but I ended up with an incredible guitar in the end.

tl;dr some issues were encountered, but I ain't even mad cuz:

Hit one of the images for a full gallery. Sorry about the quality; I've only got an iPhone to work with.

EDIT: Here's two haphazard videos to tide you over while I record a good one:

Bludging at the shop:

Going through pickup settings and noodling aimlessly:

I'll record something with a proper mic at the weekend.

Peace.

Brndn

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HellGamer666

Reaction score
Wow, that's a really, really gorgeous guitar, man. Shame that Mayones didn't keep better contact with you, but at least they were good enough to replace the truss rod cover and such.

hk_golgatha

has two first names
Reaction score
Fantastic work by Mayo as always.

Disappointing slightly on the bridge issue, but not so much for the communication malfunction. I'm just bummed it doesn't have a Hannes. :lol:

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Hey even Doug from Blackmachine uses ABM on all of his fanned guitars. They are amazing bridges. Very high quality made in Germany. I wouldn't worry too much about it. That oiled back looks really nice. Mahogany body on that wenge neck makes for an amazing rock and metal sound from my experience. Excellent tight mids, extreme tightness on lows and really pleasing highs, at least with Aftermaths.

Congrats!

Brndn

Reaction score
Fantastic work by Mayo as always.

Disappointing slightly on the bridge issue, but not so much for the communication malfunction. I'm just bummed it doesn't have a Hannes. :lol:

You and me both. It would have been perfect; both in aesthetics and playability. Alas it was not to be. Curious exactly what stopped them from putting it on there, but I guess that's for Schaller to know.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
You and me both. It would have been perfect; both in aesthetics and playability. Alas it was not to be. Curious exactly what stopped them from putting it on there, but I guess that's for Schaller to know.

I believe that some research and development needs to be done in order to use a different bridge than the current designs allow. Mayones tried to do a Hipshot on their Setius instead of the recessed TOM but found that they still need to work on the angle of the neck since every bridge requires the neck angle to be different. For the time being they wont do a Hipshot on a Setius. My guess is its the exact same thing with the Hannes. Its probably better that they wait until they have the design down perfect and with how incredibly fast the company is growing they might not have the time to move as fast with development and design as we all want them to. You wouldn't want some unwanted fretbuzz or high action cause of the guitars design not being ready for a new bridge.

BlackStar7

Lord Autumnbottom
Reaction score
It's weird given that they've made a ton of 6 strings with Hannes - you'd think the bump up to 7 wouldn't require too much development/design hassle, but I imagine in practice it's a lot more complex. Still, this thing is drop dead gorgeous and unbelievably amazing. Excellent playing as well man!

Eviga

Reaction score
Congrats and hngd! Look great man.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar, man!! Good tonal range as well. Impressive!! Congrats! :)

Brndn

Reaction score
That spalted maple top is YUUUMMMM! HNGD!

How long did the build actually take?

I started emailing the Australian distributor around March/April, and I was quoted 12-16 weeks. My birthday is in August so I'd initially hoped to have it by then. Unfortunately it ended up taking much longer, as is the case with all things custom I suppose.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
I personally would be very disappointed if I ordered a spalted maple top and got this. But you're happy with it and that is all that counts. Neck looks great!

ihunda

Reaction score
Happy NGD and thanks for sharing your experience!!
Man, builders should take coaching on very basic communication and udpates to their customers! Seeing your guitar on facebook first, what a mess...

')