NGD: MIJ Ibanez RG470

• Thread starter Philligan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I was browsing Kijiji eating breakfast this morning (par for the course haha) and wasn't planning on buying anything until I saw a '97 MIJ RG470 posted.

I checked it out. Good shape - the typical Ibanez dings around the edges, but only two small ones on the back go through to the wood. Trem is in good shape, it's a Lo-TRS. Thankfully not the TRS II, but I don't mind that it's not a Lo Pro, because I'm gonna block it ASAP. V7/V8/Si pickups, and a scarf joint 550 neck. :agreed:

The best part: he took my offer of $160. :sharpie:

Crappy pictures:

And an immediate family shot:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :yesway: Anyone have pickup recommendations for this thing? It might be my first basswood guitar. I'm thinking DiMarzios, so I can get green ones haha. Would the Crunchlab/Liquifire combo be a good bet?

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :yesway: Anyone have pickup recommendations for this thing? It might be my first basswood guitar. I'm thinking DiMarzios, so I can get green ones haha. Would the Crunchlab/Liquifire combo be a good bet?

That's always a good combo. Also check out the new illuminators.

This also sort of depends on what you are looking for sound-wise.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
That's always a good combo. Also check out the new illuminators.

This also sort of depends on what you are looking for sound-wise.

Nothing too crazy. Pickups that aren't too too high output, and pretty neutral. I like a bridge pickup that's a bit warmer and meatier, and a neck that's a little more snappy and midrangey.

I'm not a devout EMG user, but I was trying to think of passives, it struck me that I almost always end up putting EMGs in my guitars haha.

Last edited:

Paincakes

Reaction score
Nothing too crazy. Pickups that aren't too too high output, and pretty neutral. I like a bridge pickup that's a bit warmer and meatier, and a neck that's a little more snappy and midrangey.

I'm not a devout EMG user, but I was trying to think of passives, it struck me that I almost always end up putting EMGs in my guitar haha.

Look into the Tone Zone / Air Norton. They are installed stock on most RG Prestige 6 strings, and have crazy dynamics.

HNGD!

max3000

Reaction score
Gotta love those 90s MIJ Ibbies!

If I got it for that price I'd do some experimenting with refinishing ;)

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta love those 90s MIJ Ibbies!

If I got it for that price I'd do some experimenting with refinishing ;)

That was my plan when I thought it was dark blue (the pictures in the ad were really bad haha). I definitely like the black more, but a refinish is still in the back of my mind.

If I did, I'd get Ben Eller to swirl it. :agreed:

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
that thing is so hot
say what you want about black Ibanez guitars, but they really do have a charm to them

I'm surprised you got it for $160
I'm not the best with the used market and price ranges etc but $160 for this guitar seems like a pretty big steal

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
that thing is so hot
say what you want about black Ibanez guitars, but they really do have a charm to them

I'm surprised you got it for $160
I'm not the best with the used market and price ranges etc but $160 for this guitar seems like a pretty big steal

Yeah, I was a little worried getting it, so I checked it out as thoroughly as I could standing in the guy's entryway haha. The neck's perfectly straight, frets are all good, hardware seems fine, no stress cracks behind the nut or at the heel.

There's a bit of buzz to the open E, but I'm pretty sure it's just because the string gauge isn't what was intended for the locking nut. When I have a little extra money, there's a guitar tech in Sarnia who's a big antiquity RG guy, so I'm gonna take it to him for a total setup. I'm thinking about seeing if he can drop an extra fat regular nut in in place of the locking nut. Or, if I can decide one tuning for it, I'll keep the trem floating and try and take myself out of my comfort zone.

')