NGD Music Man Jpxi

• Thread starter Psionic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
For sure, I think they'll probably do a good job. There were some issues with the early JPXI's, yeah. I only remember it being about the paint/clear coat chipping at the very edge of the fretboard where the paint stops and the ebony begins. Luckily, mine is perfect in that sense. That's part of the reason I'm skeptical of fret sprouting, because I would think if all of the frets sprouted that far out then at least one of the frets would have chipped some of the clear coat on it's way.

It's a miracle that EBMM can even get such perfect finishes up to the edge of the fretboard like that anyway. I don't think I heard anything about bad fret jobs, but while the guy says that each instrument is triple inspected before leaving, and it's impossible it left the shop without fret dressing, then what happened with the other QC issues that leave the shop? Especially those JPXI's with the chipped paint along the fretboard. If that can happen, then the unfinished fret dressing can happen. I won't go into details, but looking closely, I can see evidence that, to me, looks like my frets weren't completely dressed. But they seem to be positive it's "fret sprouting" (even without seeing the instrument for themselves) and don't seem willing to work with me since I let the warranty run out, sadly.

But anyway, sorry for ranting in you NGD thread and thanks for the response. Beautiful guitar. Do you have any plans for pickup swaps? I like the way it sounds, but I'm starting to get bored with the pickups. Thinking maybe Black Hawks or Juggernauts, or maybe just Dimarzio Ionizers to make it a really simple swap.

I honestly think you're overanalyzing, call this the ramblings of a fanboy if you'd like but if you're referring to what I think you are in those pictures, then it's just the angle of the camera.

I've had about 14-15 of these guitars and I've never had a single issue with fretwork. Man handling by guitar center on my first BFR causing me to return and get another one but the fretwork was never in question or felt sharp at all. I'm sure there were quality issues when they changed fret material entirely but considering it's been 2 years since then and of the 15, only 3 have been older than 2012 models. I've personally never felt a sharp edge from them, even from my build that was messed up in transit to me from the Rosewood Neck run. I've never seen the chips you're mentioning as well nor people complaining about them.

HNGD dude! I'll 2nd the Ionizer suggestion, those pickups are fantastic and would compliment the guitar really well!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Psionic

three headed monkey
Reaction score
For sure, I think they'll probably do a good job. There were some issues with the early JPXI's, yeah. I only remember it being about the paint/clear coat chipping at the very edge of the fretboard where the paint stops and the ebony begins. Luckily, mine is perfect in that sense. That's part of the reason I'm skeptical of fret sprouting, because I would think if all of the frets sprouted that far out then at least one of the frets would have chipped some of the clear coat on it's way.

It's a miracle that EBMM can even get such perfect finishes up to the edge of the fretboard like that anyway. I don't think I heard anything about bad fret jobs, but while the guy says that each instrument is triple inspected before leaving, and it's impossible it left the shop without fret dressing, then what happened with the other QC issues that leave the shop? Especially those JPXI's with the chipped paint along the fretboard. If that can happen, then the unfinished fret dressing can happen. I won't go into details, but looking closely, I can see evidence that, to me, looks like my frets weren't completely dressed. But they seem to be positive it's "fret sprouting" (even without seeing the instrument for themselves) and don't seem willing to work with me since I let the warranty run out, sadly.

But anyway, sorry for ranting in you NGD thread and thanks for the response. Beautiful guitar. Do you have any plans for pickup swaps? I like the way it sounds, but I'm starting to get bored with the pickups. Thinking maybe Black Hawks or Juggernauts, or maybe just Dimarzio Ionizers to make it a really simple swap.

I actually like the pickups but if i ever get bored i would consider a lundgren m7 in the bridge but as you said it would need some work.

D1m3b4g

Reaction score
Looks like a great find, I really want one of these in a 6. They're the chambered bodies right?

Psionic

three headed monkey
Reaction score
Looks like a great find, I really want one of these in a 6. They're the chambered bodies right?

Actually the Jpx are the chambered ones they pretty much have the same specs, just that the Jpx has the chambered body the 5 way switch and the awesome barolo finish.

DraggAmps

Reaction score
I honestly think you're overanalyzing, call this the ramblings of a fanboy if you'd like but if you're referring to what I think you are in those pictures, then it's just the angle of the camera.

I've had about 14-15 of these guitars and I've never had a single issue with fretwork. Man handling by guitar center on my first BFR causing me to return and get another one but the fretwork was never in question or felt sharp at all. I'm sure there were quality issues when they changed fret material entirely but considering it's been 2 years since then and of the 15, only 3 have been older than 2012 models. I've personally never felt a sharp edge from them, even from my build that was messed up in transit to me from the Rosewood Neck run. I've never seen the chips you're mentioning as well nor people complaining about them.

HNGD dude! I'll 2nd the Ionizer suggestion, those pickups are fantastic and would compliment the guitar really well!

Oh, I wasn't referring to anything in his pics. I was just talking about other QC issues that I saw one or two threads about back around the time the JPXI was released. I am sure I can dig up the old thread(s), but I remember at least one thread in particular where detailed shots of the side of the fretboard were shown and there was chipping/peeling of the clear coat. I'm fairly sure at least one other person mentioned the same problem with their instrument and IIRC within that same thread and possibly other threads I read around that time, other people chimed in with a few QC complaints. I love EBMM and am not bashing them or anything, I was just pointing out that there were at least a few examples of QC issues that I read about around the time I bought my JPXI, so that combined with the fact that they had just switched to SS frets makes me think it's definitely possible that my JPXI made it out of the shop without completed fret dressing.

I might be overanalyzing about some of it, but I'm definitely not exaggerating the degree to which my frets are sharp. I have a large callus on the side of my index finger with bits of rough torn up skin from where my index finger contacts the side of the fret board. I can also pull my high e string off the edge of the fretboard and "catch" it on one of the fret ends and the string will stay there hooked on the end of the fret. I can even carve little curly cue shavings off the tops of my fingernails with the sharp ends lol.

I'm not complaining of EBMM, and it was by dumb self who never sent my guitar in and have lived with the sharp frets all this time (by the way, the people with chipped fret board edges got their instruments fixed by EBMM) :) I don't think they did "poor" fretwork, I just think they accidentally didn't finish the fret dressing process and didn't catch the mistake. The fact that all of the frets on the high E side are even sharper than the low B side, the way the shape of the fret ends looks different from all other EBMM guitars I've seen, and other little things make my think it's unlikely this is a case of fret sprout. It just seems very unlikely to me that the frets sprouted that far given all of the factors (and given that I live in a dry area only 6 hours away from EBMM factory). That's just my opinion. I'm going to get this beautiful guitar fixed up very soon, though, even if I have to pay full price for fretwork from EBMM.

Latest posts

')