[NGD] My First 8! Ibanez RG8WNF

• Thread starter Masoo2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Sxs7j6b.jpg
Ibanez RG8WNF - Imgur

Lej0ldo.jpg

5UD1l5C.jpg

oMSCoRu.jpg

(The rest: http://i.imgur.com/Sxs7j6b.jpg)

This is probably the nicest guitar I have ever played.
Slim and fast neck, very nice grain on the wood, comfy bridge, etc..
The specs:
Neck type Wizard II-8 5pc Maple/Walnut neck
Body Mahogony body
Fretboard Rosewood fretboard w/White dot inlay
Fret Jumbo frets
Bridge Fixed bridge
Neck pu IBZ-8 (H) neck pu (Passive/Ceramic)
Bridge pu IBZ-8 (H) bridge pu (Passive/Ceramic)
Hardware color Black
Scale 27 inch scale
My tuning: EBEADGBE
(Copied from Ibanez's site, with a change in the body wood and tuning)
I'll get some sound clips in a little, still creating some patches.
Need to get new strings also, the stock ones are too thin for even standard tuning!
(FYI The pickups arnt as bad as people say, they are actually pretty decent. I heard that Ibanez quit using the Cort bass pickups and are now using some different soapbars)

Last edited:

Masoo2

Reaction score
Also, does anyone know a good guage of strings to by for Drop E? (EBEADGBE) Im considering 9-82, but something thicker might be better.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very nice! Congrats too, the RG8s are great guitars for the money, I love that finish too. :D

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Well done Ibanez. A mahogany RG8 is an awesome addition, for me all it needs is a 57-8/66-8 and it'll be my introduction to the 8-string world. And at $400, it's a no-brainer.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! For being my 1st 8 I an enjoying every second of it. Covering AAL is so satisfying.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
That's a really cool RG8! Love that finish - it kind of takes away the inherent metal-ness of the guitar. It will look metal if you play metal on it, but you could just as easily play jazz on it without looking out of place (unlike say a gloss black one).

May I humbly suggest the 9-84 8 string set from Curt Mangan? IMO, perfect for that scale length. For me it really achieved the balance between tension and tone better than the other big brand sets I tried. CircleK/Kalium are mostly likely better, but their shipping cost was a deal breaker for me.

Enjoy your new guitar!

TiffuZeless

darude-sandstorm
Reaction score
Where did you buy this guitar? I could only find it in AMS and other non-physical stores. Is this model sold exclusively by these stores or what? It is not even on the ibanez website o_O
Thanks for the attention!
BTW, awesome guitar bro!

(edit: now i saw it on the website. Well, now i just have to wait for it to come to larger stores I think - I live outside the USA -, but do you know when this will happens?)

House74

Perfect Djentleman
Reaction score
Also, does anyone know a good guage of strings to by for Drop E? (EBEADGBE) Im considering 9-82, but something thicker might be better.

First off, congrats dude and welcome to the club!! That thing looks very nice! As far as drop E goes on that scale, i'd go with a .90 for decent tension

Masoo2

Reaction score
First off, congrats dude and welcome to the club!! That thing looks very nice! As far as drop E goes on that scale, i'd go with a .90 for decent tension

Yeah, i've got a .90 on it now. However, my 61-9 feels a bit too light on the bass side of things haha.

Speaking of the club, has anyone else spotted a silverburst RG8 in the wild? I swear I saw one at the Greensboro, NC Guitar Center today.

djentychvggs

9-string Defiler
Reaction score
To add some input on the string question, on my RG8, I personally prefer something around 10-13-17-30-42-54-64-80. I find it works for anything down to Drop Eb. Anything lower than that, I'd recommend a much larger bottom string