NGD! My First 8 String!

• Thread starter RLG167
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RLG167

Reaction score
I just picked up my first ERG, a Jackson JS32-8Q, got it for a steal at $250. just wanted to get some general knowledge of ERG's. Obviously I'm familiar with 6 and 7 strings, but just if you have any advice to throw at me, go ahead. I just have one question; what is a typical 8 string scale length? This is about the same as my LP, about 24.5". I thought they had a longer length for the extra strings.
thanks guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daunicornslayer

Reaction score
It has a 26.5 inch scale length. My rg8 has a 27 so you should be alright to tune to f# with the right strings but you'll run into issues going lower. Typical scale length on an 8 isn't really established. Most commercial brands throw out 27in guitars but a lot of people insist that its too short.

RLG167

Reaction score
the pic doesn't do it justice, the red quilt maple is gorgeous. It was used, but mint. The last owner probably had it for a few days. No chips, dings, dents, scratches, or even fingerprint smudges.

Eclipse

Reaction score
the pic doesn't do it justice, the red quilt maple is gorgeous. It was used, but mint. The last owner probably had it for a few days. No chips, dings, dents, scratches, or even fingerprint smudges.

Then post a few more pics! It's hard to capture the beauty of guitars in a picture sometimes anyway. Especially if you are like me and don't have a super nice camera.

HNGD though!

RLG167

Reaction score
thanks guys! I'm really liking it so far. Earlier today I had band practice and in one of our songs there's a short bass only part and while we were playing through it during that part I stepped on my distortion pedal and flicked my pick away and played the bass part on just the F# and B strings and everyone cracked up :D the bassist said "what the f***?" And I swear he was laughing so hard I thought he was going to puke!!! This is definitely one of my favorite guitars!

RLG167

Reaction score
a small shop about 30min. from me has an Ibanez RG8 used in great condition for $249. Is that a good deal? I don't know if any of you guys have played them and think I should save up for a better one? They also have an Agile 8 with neck-through and active pickups used for $650. Its in okay shape, just a few dings and chips

Ibanez RG7321

Reaction score
I picked mine up BRAND NEW for 250 shipped. Id say keep looking for a new one

RLG167

Reaction score
another small shop around here is a Dean dealer and they can get me a Custom 850X for $399, but I have $300 in store credit there so I would only have to pay $100+tax. Has anyone used one before? Is it a gigging or more practice guitar?

vick1000

Reaction score
If you are digging the jackson, why are you lokoing for another 8? I can only recommend Jackson and Ibanez guitars from Indonesia at those prices. The RG8 has one of the best necks ever put on a "budget" guitar, but as with all of these Indo-China guitars, you need a good return/swap policy, or be able to live with some defects.

RLG167

Reaction score
I've had very good luck with Dean guitars and since I had $300 worth of credit at the store I had them order me the Custom 850X. If I don't like it, I will at least use it for modding. New pups, re-contour the neck, make it a set-neck, maybe even a Floyd Rose if I can find one that comes in an 8 string model. So thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it. And if the other store still had the used RG8 I may get that at some point. I don't know what it is, but ever since I got this 8-string Jackson I haven't even touched any of my 6 or 7 strings. All I play now is the 8 string. There's just something about it that I love. Hell, I would even go as far as to say its my favorite guitar, out of my two acoustics, my four 6 string electrics, and my two 7 strings. They range from Epiphones to top-of-the-line Deans, to vintage Martins, but for some reason I love this 8 string the most. Even though its actually my cheapest guitar lol :D

RLG167

Reaction score
but since i started this thread as a kind of "im new to ERG's' sort of thing, i was going to ask, and this is a total noob question lol, what are some basic chords on an 8-string? I have it tuned F#, B, E, A, D, G, B, e. Maybe if there is already a thread about this could someone point me to it? I couldn't find anything.
thanks

vick1000

Reaction score
Your chords are the same as on a 6 string, unless you mean "new" chords, which is up to your imagination and what you like to hear in a chord. Just because it's extended range, does not mean it alters the fundimentals of music.

RLG167

Reaction score
I asked because I tried normal chords and it just sounded weird when I did them down near the F# and B strings. First, I adjusted the pickup height, what a difference that made! Then I realized that I tuned it wrong. For some reason I tuned it F instead of F# and I did it by ear from there so it got completely messed up. I finally used my electronic tuner and fixed everything! It sounds absolutely fantastic now! I also ordered a Dean C850X that just got here a couple days ago and I love that one too. I actually modded it, I painted the fretboard, sanded down the neck near the higher frets a little bit and most importantly, I took out those stupid bolts and glued the neck in. I'm so happy with my 8's, I think I'm going to get another. I'm looking at the BC Rich Warlock Lucky 8. I know BC Rich guitars with bolt-on necks aren't the best, but I have experience with taking cheap guitars and making them solid gig'ers. I'm trying to sell my old Epi Les Paul to fund the BCR 8. I'm in a Metalcore band so a traditional old-school LP doesn't fit in very well lol. Thanks for your help everyone!

Reaction score
NGD! My First 8 String!

I just picked up my first ERG, a Jackson JS32-8Q.
2 days later...

I had them order me the Dean Custom 850X.

escalated.jpg

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Look at this guy go - he's unstoppable! :lol:

Sounds like you're a convert to the 8 string, man. It is a great instrument and can be used in so many different ways.

Since you were asking about chords - the simple route for me was drop E tuning (EBEADGBe). Having that low string as another E just makes so much more sense to my tiny guitar player brain than having a damn F# there.

Since you're going hog-wild buying 8 string guitars, do check out something with a longer scale at some point. A lot of the newer Schecter stuff is 28" and there are a heap of affordable Agiles at 28+" scales. The longer scale does a lot for the clarity of the low string/s and brings back that snappy response which can be hard to achieve with shorter scales (unless you are a light string kinda guy).

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with it though. :metal:

RLG167

Reaction score
2 days later...

escalated.jpg

Damn right it did! 8 string guitars are so much fun, I can't believe in my seven years playing this is the first time I've gotten one. And I just got the dean in so naturally I took the neck off, shaved down the heel, and glued the neck back on. And somehow it still works :lol::lol:

')