NGD + New Build Started! (Lot of Pics)

• Thread starter bigswifty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
headstock5.jpg

Chiming in a little late.

I really like this design, but with the rounded area at the tip recessed rather than removed completely.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lost of All Reason

I lyka to pleh
Reaction score
I drew up one final design, and I think this will be the one I use!
It just looks the most natural to me.

Check it out!

headstock6.jpg

This will be bound with flamed maple, which will blend right down to the neck where the maple board is bound with mahogany.
Also, the truss rod cover will either be mahogany or maple, I will probably make one of each.

Thanks for the input guys :wavey:

There were a few I wanted to get on board with but just couldn't, was gonna recommend you keep refining but then I saw this. Looks SOLID. I think it's what you're headstock as a whole is asking for.

Lost of All Reason

I lyka to pleh
Reaction score
In fact I got curious myself just cuz I dig the design so much and threw up a quick shopped side by side

Attachments

• headstocksabc.jpg
    headstocksabc.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 62

ej207t

Reaction score
Also, the truss rod cover will either be mahogany or maple, I will probably make one of each.

heres an idea! why not do maple AND mahogany together like the headstock? :agreed:

im liking your revised headstock and LostOfAllReasons' 2nd design in the shopped image. both are mickey mouse :yesway:

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
Curve it, definitely. Not much, just a little incline. The flat end doesn't work so well with the curves on the sides, in my opinion.

bigswifty

Reaction score
Curve it, definitely. Not much, just a little incline. The flat end doesn't work so well with the curves on the sides, in my opinion.

Though I disagree, the Luthier who very kindly lets me use his shop to work on this guitar said the same thing.
I took his word for it and curved the left side as well. I think I should have left it, but I don't dislike the result either!

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

The curve on the bottom left side ended up coming a little closer to the tuning peg hole than I would have liked, but working with less and less material starts to get pretty shakey.
A learning experience nonetheless! Tell me what you think! :metal:

EDIT: Unfortunately, my idea for maple binding on the headstock was a little ambitious and required gluing instead of routing.
So I was advised to just leave it as is. Maybe on a future guitar where more planning is involved I can make this happen.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I've been waiting for updates since I saw this thing sitting in your room, glad it's not a forgotten project! Looks great man, so stoked.

Lost of All Reason

I lyka to pleh
Reaction score
Though I disagree, the Luthier who very kindly lets me use his shop to work on this guitar said the same thing.
I took his word for it and curved the left side as well. I think I should have left it, but I don't dislike the result either!

I'm with you, I thought that straight top line made the subtle curve on the underside particularly tasteful, but I don't dislike like the way it ended up either :yesway:

Darkanus

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of swirl finishes but that blue-white-black is just AMAZING.

bigswifty

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of swirl finishes but that blue-white-black is just AMAZING.

Unfortunately that never happened! Great swirl though indeed :metal:

Here's some of today's work:

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

All oiled up :yum:

I drilled the side markers in without really considering radius.. Now they will end up closer to the top than middle, but that's only an aesthetic issue in the end (right?.. :wallbash:)

Got me thinking of having a relatively flat radius for this neck, though.
Good for teh shredz :shred:

What is your preference in radius?
Later!

bigswifty

Reaction score
^ Cheers fellas!

So the shop owner recently became a father, which is why this thread has been experiencing drought for the past month or so. But as of this week progress has been made! Take a look:

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

Wet sanded all the parts last weekend, and will buff the body this weekend.
Loving the way it looks and can't wait to play it! :scream:
Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will have the neck finished to show you guys and shortly after that this build will be complete! :hbang:

')